• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HEC ¼ Final - Stade Toulousain v Leinster

A

An Tarbh

Stade Toulousain are boosted by the recent return of talismanic centre Yannick Jauzion to partner Florian Fritz in what should be an intriguing battle of the centres with D'Arcy and O'Driscoll. The clashes in this tie are mouthwatering none moreso than that of the fly halves with arguably the form player of the tournament, Felipe Contepomi pitting his wits against Frederic Michalak. The fact that Trevor Brennan will be lining up against his former province is sure to add some spice to the heated forward exchanges.

Stade Toulousain will start as favourites but as has been proven in the pool stages there are some frailties in their defence and Leinster certainly have the ability to expose them, as do Stade Toulousain have the abilty to destroy Leinster up front and starve them of possession.

Should be a corker.

Well my family in law will come from Toulouse this weekend, they have not seen yet our two weeks old baby. I will go to the Pub to watch this game. Anh Tarb, will you go to Toulouse?

No my sister is getting married the following Friday so I'll have to settle for the tv.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Mar 29 2006, 06:49 AM
No my sister is getting married the following Friday so I'll have to settle for the tv.
She should understand that she has to postpon her weding.

Yannick Jauzion sat out training today but is expected to make the starting lineup. Don't want any of the centres to miss this one, should be a great battle especially with Jazion going up against O'Driscoll.

The lineups for this one were released at lunchtime today, Gordon D'Arcy becomes the youngest player to reach 100 caps for Leinster when he partners Brian O'Driscoll in Saturday's clash.

ST are without Thomas, Maka and Baby but the replacements hardly weaken the champions lineup.

Stade Toulousain: C Poitrenaud; V Clerc, Y Jauzion, F Fritz, C Heymans; F Michalak, J Elissalde; J Poux, Y Bru (capt), O Hasan, F Pelous, T Brennan, J Bouilhou, Y Nyanga, F Maka.
Replacements: V Lacombe, G Menkarska, R Millo-Chlusky, G Lamboley, J Dubois, M Medard, M Kunavore.

Leinster: Dempsey; Horgan, O'Driscoll, capt, D'Arcy, Hickie; Contepomi, Easterby; R Corrigan, B Blaney, Greem, Williams, O'Kelly, Jowitt, Gleeson, Heaslip.
Replacements: D Blaney, McCormack, Ronan, Miller, O'Riordan, Lewis, Kearney.

Referee: Dave Pearson (RFU).

Leinster are more than capable of winning this match, granted they're going to be a little ring rusty in the opening stages but if they can overcome that and Contepomi can get the backline playing some of the rugby we've witnessed this season then we have more than a decent chance of overcoming ST.

I've found it strange that certain pundits, albeit retards who have little credibility - can any Irish poster guess who I'm talking about, have dismissed Leinster's chances claiming that ST have the firepower to overcome Leinster, even though the same backline have scored a hatful of tries and for 4 of the 6 games have been without one of the best centres of the professional era. Any guesses???

Cmon Leinster, defy the odds and set up the mother of all semi finals with Munster, now that would be an awesome prosepct.

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. GET IN THERE. Absolutely awesome Leinster, what an amazing try by O'Driscoll and Hickie's score was superb, the pull on Michalak was crucial in Jowitt getting the intercept and Horgan's strength to get through Clerc's tackle was brilliant.

That has to be the best victory by an Irish team in Europe, to me it surpasses Munster's wins at Leicester and in Bordeaux against ST, well maybe not but definitely on a par. Superb Leinster, superb.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Apr 1 2006, 03:48 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. GET IN THERE. Absolutely awesome Leinster, what an amazing try by O'Driscoll and Hickie's score was superb, the pull on Michalak was crucial in Jowitt getting the intercept and Horgan's strength to get through Clerc's tackle was brilliant.

That has to be the best victory by an Irish team in Europe, to me it surpasses Munster's wins at Leicester and in Bordeaux against ST, well maybe not but definitely on a par. Superb Leinster, superb.
So a very happy An Tarbh then! Didn't see the match, but I saw O'Driscol's try and it was well taken. That'll have ****** off Blano!

Just incredible backplay from Leinster yet again, Contepomi really gets them ticking but great performance from the forwards to really front up against the ST pack, huge performance from our backrow, huge credit to Gleeson, Heaslip and Jowitt.

Sensational try from Hickie, despite him almost being caught by Pelous on halfway. I would go so far as to say that's the best Leinster performance I've ever seen.

Some of the quality of Leinster's backplay is just mesmeric, Hickie's try was superb, good to see he still has a bit of gas in the tank, probably helps that he has Kearney hot on his heels.

Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 1 2006, 05:28 PM
brilliant - so much for the cl being the weakest nh competition
:lol:

It is the weakest.

Munster and Leinster and good, but put some of the Celtic League sides in the Guiness Prem or Top14 and it would be embarrassing.

Great, if rather suprising, win for Leinster. I really should stop backing teams to win things, it's the kiss of death :rolleyes:

its not the weakest, i really disagree - the gp - is dismal to watch.

the cl have sides like munster,leinster,ulster,gunners,ospreys and the scarlets who are more then capable of holding their own against anyone the gp has to offer.

the gp is the richest, but not the best.

To judge how strong a league is, you have to look at its weakest sides.

Bottom teams in the GP are much better than their Celtic League rivals.

Even Leeds would thrash the Borders.

I rest my case... :bana:

Latest posts