• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Champions Cup - Rd 1

Ospreys during the first-half were poor, but they made a comeback of sorts in the second-half. (I say "of sorts" because they very seldom turned pressure into points). Anyway, LOL at Sale accusing Protheroe of cheating near the end of the match. He was Ospreys' best player - running around all over the place.

And I was shocked how poor Wasps were, even taking into account the red card. (Munster, albeit to a somewhat lesser extent that Cardiff, had quite a few second and third stringers due to quarantine).

And I was shocked how poor Wasps were, even taking into account the red card. (Munster, albeit to a somewhat lesser extent that Cardiff, had quite a few second and third stringers due to quarantine).
it took until 2.53am to figure that out? ;)

It was a pretty poor performance. Our fan forum has been pretty toxic of late but especially yesterday.

We had majority of lads who are not even signed to the province fully.

Take for example the likes of Eoin O'Connor who started lock. He is not a Pro in the sense of training etc.
Tony Butler came on yesterday for Joey. He is only 18 and never did proper gym programme until last summer.

Like lads will learn. French had a tough day at THP but will be much better for it.
Our backrow isn't in Leinster class yet but we have a serious amount of depth there like Hodnett was always expected to break in before his injury. Now I would ask who'd you put 7 instead of him.
Okeke is a serious 8 also like it is testament that we have barely noticed CJ is gone. That is calibre of 8 we have playing this year.

Strange weekend's rugby.

Some individual thoughts….

Barbeary was due for 50 mins but came off earlier due to his hamstring tightening. Sensible decision, but I really hope the medics can get him properly sorted. Grated a bit to see him hanging back to return kicks, yes he ran back hard, but his real point of difference is pinballing off tacklers and offloading in the tighter exchanges.

Dombrandt's try was a classic Dombrandt line. Is he otherwise throwing his weight around enough?

Ref the Martin / Isiekwe comments earlier in the thread. I'm liking what I'm seeing from Martin - he looks a natural 6 who'll be able to play in the row. And vice versa for Isiekwe.

We are now reported to have 27 players out .... for out trip to Toulouse.... Great.

Leinster postponing training while another round of PCR testing is done.

Ooph. Could be another tough day at the office.
Feel like we are starting to get used to this now haha. I am hoping Monye, Pichardie, Tunney, Hartley etc all get a run out. Blood the Academy, get them up to speed.

Castres at home next week, without sounding disrespectful, I want max points from that game. Castres put out their seconds against Quins in their very first game at home, so can't imagine they will bother sending a strong side away to Limerick when they appear disinterested in Europe and their chances of qualifying are already damaged.

Wasn't there today as in quarantine but from group it seems forearm break is the fear
That's really shite to hear. I wonder if he will stop getting gametime for Ireland now. Unfortunately doesn't seem wise to rely on him.

That's really shite to hear. I wonder if he will stop getting gametime for Ireland now. Unfortunately doesn't seem wise to rely on him.
Just bad luck but if fit he can deliver for Ireland. But regardless in todays game you need 3 or 4 options at 10 who are comfortable.
Like lets remember NZ in 2015 RWC

On Covid galore. I said it before that the decision they ruled against Scarlets could come back to seriously haunt them.
Now no doubt Leinster will field like ourselves this weekend they can go to AIL if necessary but if that game was cut because both teams have issues who gets the W. If they reschedule it then Scarlets are licking lips rightfully at legal battle and with a sure case.
Tournament could descend in to a mess rapid.

Just bad luck but if fit he can deliver for Ireland.

The questions are only getting harder to ignore.

It'd be an extremely brave head coach that would build a team around Joey. No fault of anyones - its just the way it is.

Latest posts