• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Here are some pointers for world league elite difficulty

A

AndyMcNabFAN

Guys, I thought I'd be a good citizen and start a thread dedicated to helping people out who are trying Rugby06 in elite difficulty.

Some things I have found that help you get through those fairly tough 1st few games...

--Put the fastest possible players on the wing... I usually put my fastest man on the left wing (no.11)

--Keep Heffler at first. When you start, Heffler is the best kicker you have in the team. He is your only hope of converting most tries. The rest are just too mush of a risk. But its wise to replace him soon enough with ANY player possible who is a better goal kicker (he needs to be at least above 80). If you have a better rated fly-half with a terrible boot, see if you can slot him into a different position(usually centre). Then, take the fullback with the biggest boot (kicking power) and leave him on fullback. Speed is not really much of a factor at fullback this early into the game. The fullback needs to be able to clear the ball effectively.

--I play mostly kicking games. I kick even from my half way line mostly. I play the game in their 22 most of the time, and leave it up to chance and reaction time weather or not im gonna win the ball at the lineout. That way there is little risk involved.

--I don't think I've EVER chip-kicked ever. I just don't do it. It throws away possesion mostly, and does it at a short distance.

--You'll notice that turnovers occur ALOT. This is why you need players who have a good rucking stat. Keep them in the loose forewards.

--Don't EVER just select the club and play the 1st game. Select your team 1st. Choose from all the available players in the squad. Check their stats. Put the strongest scrummagers in the tight 5.

--I ONLY use short lineouts. The only man that catches the ball is the no.5. Because of this, I choose the player with the highest stat for line-outs as my Lock(SR).

--Knockout Cup games are VERY important. These games give you alot of cash should you win it and score many tries. The more money, the more good players you can afford.

--I never take penalty kicks at post. I always either punt it out or take a scrum. Tries are whats important. Except once or twice during Knockout Cup games. Penalties and Drop-goals give you a good buffer to work with should you fall behind. That way there is less pressure towards the end when that game is tied and you need to convert to win. (its happened to me too often).

If I think of more pointer, I'll post them. In the mean time, you other professionals can also post some pointers for the noobs.

Guys, I thought I'd be a good citizen and start a thread dedicated to helping people out who are trying Rugby06 in elite difficulty.

Some things I have found that help you get through those fairly tough 1st few games...

--I ONLY use short lineouts. The only man that catches the ball is the no.5. Because of this, I choose the player with the highest stat for line-outs as my Lock(SR).
[/b]
Agree with your tips for noobs on elite as have completed game on elite. Just curious as to what you mean by short lineout, am I missing something here?

Also with lineouts, watch the hookers hands, after a whiile you'll see the ball move from 2 hands into the right hand, from here roughly 3-4 seconds later the ball will be thrown in every time. Get your timing down and you can steal most lineouts, if you have a lineout forward with high enough rating...

i think hes refering to first jumper in the lineouts. i agree, i seem to get a much better ratio of catches and ball steals going with the front man most often.

i half agree about the chip kick, however i find it really useful when youre one on one with the full back if you time it right. this also stops you getting tackled out wide and almost certainly losing the ball where you are tackled. you may loose the ball from the chip ahead but at least you have gained a little extra ground. also occationally you can be lucky as even if he manages to turn and beat you to the ball, he will sometimes misjudge the dive and let you clean up. ive managed to use it succsessfully near the line a few times too by chipping the ball through from first five out to the three quarter to jump on. you have to get a lot of angle on it or it will just get cleaned up by the forwards diving on it.

great tip about the hookers hands!

penalty kicks and droppies have been crucial in some of my games! im probably not good enough to guarantee tries from lineouts etc.

good tip though: only ever take a quick penalty immediately after being awarded one. take it in time and the opp. will almost certainly concede another for not back 10. otherwise theyll pump you straight from the tap. the other thing to keep in mind is that if you think the opposition could have a man sent off from a penalty that you are playing advantage from, let the ref blow as if you take the advantage, he will not be disciplined.

On attack I find kick to the corners, steal their lineout, if too far out to drive over for a try, then use your backs moves. Off top of head miss, miss pivot, pivot, and classic are good. Pocket can actually work on attack too, sometimes a gap will be left at centre...

With recruiting, a good hooker and lock to secure lineout, one good loosie, then get pace men in backline with a decent kicker. Wouldn't worry too much more than that, you can survive quite a while with a relatively average forward pack.

Hope that helps :) Any questions, fire away...

Davidson, yes. I use the grubber kick almost always when its one-on-one with the fullback. With a chip-kick i meant one of the backline set moves where the flyhalf chips behind the oppisition defence.

I always set my defence to 'kick' when the opposition has the ball in their own half, every ruck. I have scored plenty of cheap tries when they have tried to kick the ball into touch from their own line, but kicked for the far touchline and not cleared it.

when i'm kicking off, put in the highest kick you can that's +10, just over the flanker's head. switch player to inside centre and run towards the flanker, jump for the ball. most times you can get it.
get tackled. there should be two men formed on one side of the ruck, pass it to the forward. you need to practise this, but you can run towards the touch line and draw their opposition winger. at the last minute pass it out wide to your winger, just as the opposition winger is about to tackle you. you'll find that there's now only one man to beat, being the fullback. you can either throw a sidestep or put the grubber kick in (As mentioned above) and play it as it goes. i've scored many times using this method.

InsaneAsylum, I do the exact same thing. Often if my inside centre goes to ground close to the poles, I just take a drop. That way I get a good buffer early into the game, and then receive the kickoff.

i didn' t know this... just figured it out, but when the scrum half lets go, hold the pass button and the 1st 5 throws a quick cutout to a player who usually finds themself in a gap. from here it's only you and the fullback, however you can usually draw him if you have support, even easier with a fast winger.

i'm playing in elite division at the moment and all of the star backs (carter, larkham, gregan, robinson, wilkinson etc) are showing, but greyed out....why?
my balance is huge and i haven't lost a game yet in the season.

also any scrumming tips for PC using the keyboard?

Pleased to help, feel free to ask any questions... there's a few of us now have finished the game on Elite difficulty.

ok is this for EA Rugby 06 or a similar game? because im reading all about "getting cash" and "my balance" and "short lineouts" which arent in Rugby 06 but im also reading tips for Rugby 06.

or is this for both games?

--Knockout Cup games are VERY important. These games give you alot of cash should you win it and score many tries. The more money, the more good players you can afford.
[/b]
but short lineouts arent in 06 and you dont (as far as i know) buy players for your team