• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Highlanders sign Treeby, Aaron Smith, Hoeata, and Crosswell

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Jamie Joseph has confirmed the signings of another four players for the Highlanders for next year:
(http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-14/4077305/Jamie-Joseph-signs-four-new-Highlanders)

I like the signing of both Hoeata and Crosswell as they are both quality loose-forwards that do the basics well - I think this probably the strongest indicator yet that Thomson will be heading to the Crusaders. If Thomson does stays with the Highlanders I'd look at playing him at 8, with either Crosswell or Hoeata at 6. If he does go, they could use either Crosswell or Hoeata at 8, with the other (or Hardie) at 6. If Elliot Dixon manages to keep up his form for the season he would certainly be another that is in contention for the number 8 spot.

Aaron Smith is an interesting signing - he appears to be a quality young player. I'm surprised that the Canes haven't really targeting him as a backup to Weepu - I suppose Keats will remain as Weepu's primary backup. Smith will obviously compete with Romans to be Cowan's primary backup, as I understand that there will likely be three halfbacks selected in the expanded 32-man squads.

I'm not yet convinced about Treeby - he seems a quality attacking player, but seemed to be very weak on defense whenever I watched him last year. I haven't seen a lot of him this year yet, but I understand he may have improved his defense - if he has he could turn into a good quality super 14 player.

We still need to target a couple of quality wings, but overall I'm reasonably happy with the Highlanders recruitment thus far.

I'm some what happy about this!! But what about the players that are being grown within the province!!! Why do we need Aaron Smith when there are decent half backs in the south!! What is wrong with the Otago half back! then there is Jimmy Cowan and also his brother Scott Cowan all three quality half backs!!

I'm some what happy about this!! But what about the players that are being grown within the province!!! Why do we need Aaron Smith when there are decent half backs in the south!! What is wrong with the Otago half back! then there is Jimmy Cowan and also his brother Scott Cowan all three quality half backs!!

Romans and Scott Cowan are both good halfbacks, but neither of them are likely to be stars at Super 14 level. Aaron Smith is a very talented young halfback, who while probably not much better than these two at the moment, does have the potential to be an exceptional halfback. I think his selection is more to do with investing in the future, rather than targeting a player to fill an area of weakness within the franchise. Smith's and Hoeata's involvement in the NZ Maori team under Jamie Joseph may have influenced their decisions to head down to the Highlanders.

Romans and Scott Cowan are both good halfbacks, but neither of them are likely to be stars at Super 14 level. Aaron Smith is a very talented young halfback, who while probably not much better than these two at the moment, does have the potential to be an exceptional halfback. I think his selection is more to do with investing in the future, rather than targeting a player to fill an area of weakness within the franchise. Smith's and Hoeata's involvement in the NZ Maori team under Jamie Joseph may have influenced their decisions to head down to the Highlanders.

Totally agree with ya here!! But also in saying how are Romans and Scott Cowan supposed to develop as players if they aren't given the chance!? I believe both can do it!!

Yet again, the Highlanders relying on other unions imports. I'm a bit worried about them again for next year. Treeby is a good little player from what I've seen of him this season, not so sure about his defence as I haven't watched him that closely but he looks pretty good on attack for Wellington.

I hope for the Highlanders sake that Thompson is not heading to the Crusaders as I think it is important to retain players of his quality who are also provincial players with the union.

Thou Aaron Smith hasn't yet played Super Rugby he has had international level experience both with the under 20's and Nz Maori and he played quite well with both teams.

Shaun Treeby is lethal on attack and he will make a great addition to any team. He's yet another good player that Wellington have had to let go because he wouldn't get much game time here with the likes of Nonu, Conrad etc. playing in the centres.

Hayward looked like such a good player, never really fired for the HLanders though...

Hope the same thing doesn't happen here.

Latest posts