• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hong Kong Bledisloe under threat?

Smartcooky, our local living wikipedia! :D

It would be nice if Rugby became one of the major sports in the USA, we'd get a good rugby computer game at least ;)

It would be nice if Rugby became one of the major sports in the USA, we'd get a good rugby computer game at least ;)

I thought EA Sports was American, dont they make Rugby on Playstation?..

I reckon if America took to Rugby like they do in Grid Iron they'd be a real force. A lot of top players in the Southren Hemisphere i.e Du Preez, Carter etc will be over there in the states playing for some ridiculous amount of money. The Americans would definately have flair in the way they play.

Last edited:
Smartcooky, our local living wikipedia! :D

And perhaps some on the TV!
ESPN need to get on that...

I thought EA Sports was American, dont they make Rugby on Playstation?..

I reckon if America took to Rugby like they do in Grid Iron they'd be a real force. A lot of top players in the Southren Hemisphere i.e Du Preez, Carter etc will be over there in the states playing for some ridiculous amount of money. The Americans would definately have flair in the way they play.

They would have some speed and good natural athletes but it takes so long for the basics of a game to be ingrained into kids from a young age. At least a couple of generations of them playing it seriously before they got anywhere near half decent.. This is why I reckon NZ is good, you're brought up with a rugby ball and play it non stop. I remmeber at school all we did at lunchtime and then after school was play rugby.. Your basic skills and understanding of the game are just naturally going to be better than someone from a different background. That's the main thing I've noticed from playing and coaching in the UK, basic skills/understanding just aren't anywhere near as good in the kids and younger players, it isn't something that can be acquired overnight.

On a tangent I always like to think of how good would rugby players be in Gridiron, cullen would surely be a dominant kick returner and lomu a ridiculous running back. Imagine cullen evading tacklers with the aid of blockers; it'd be unfair!

dont know about that it would be different angles for cullen to run would get blindsided alot wouldnt have the instinct

They would have some speed and good natural athletes but it takes so long for the basics of a game to be ingrained into kids from a young age. At least a couple of generations of them playing it seriously before they got anywhere near half decent..
I meant to say, what if America was playing Rugby ages ago and it become big there ages ago.

dont know about that it would be different angles for cullen to run would get blindsided alot wouldnt have the instinct
Nah I think the younger Cullen would swerve nicely through, he's got the blockers all he has to do is run the line in the play and the line-backers should create the oppertunity.

I meant to say, what if America was playing Rugby ages ago and it become big there ages ago.
interestingly enough i'm pretty sure they are the reigning olympic rugby champions, as the last time it was in the olympics was in the 30's (could be wrong) wonder what happened to teams like GB (i presume they played as GB in the olympics) and NZ. Would've been cool if they took it seriously from then on like you say they might well have a pretty good team by now!

interestingly enough i'm pretty sure they are the reigning olympic rugby champions, as the last time it was in the olympics was in the 30's (could be wrong) wonder what happened to teams like GB (i presume they played as GB in the olympics) and NZ. Would've been cool if they took it seriously from then on like you say they might well have a pretty good team by now!

Yep, USA beat France in the final in 1924 (the last time it was played at the Olympics), I think England had a tendency to send county sides back then ... could be wrong though

The USA has been playing Rugby a long time already ... in fact the 1905 original All Blacks played against a couple of sides on their return from their UK tour - at the time, rugby was quite popular in California, as American Football had been made illegal due to the number of deaths and injuries

who wants to play against yanks, wouldnt it be awesome to play against some cold hearted russians

You mean you don't want to kick the **** out of some damn yanks? Geez and here I am thinking everyone had it in for us.

Oh and the reason rugby isn't big here, old Teddy Roosevelt nearly outlawed it if they didn't change the rules because so many people were getting f'ed up, hence Football.

And those stadiums might scramble to get some rugby in them if there is a NFL lockout.

Last edited:
Oh and the reason rugby isn't big here, old Teddy Roosevelt nearly outlawed it if they didn't change the rules because so many people were getting f'ed up, hence Football.

And those stadiums might scramble to get some rugby in them if there is a NFL lockout.

I have no idea what you just said.

The president was close to outlawing a sport because many people had issues with the rules of rugby and therefor (why?) american football was created / rugby got 'morphed' into american football (to make the game more accessible to americans or whatever?)

Which stadiums? NFL stadiums? NFL lockout?

I apologize; english isn't my first language and I am genuinely interested in the development of rugby in the US and the Americas in general (along with Africa).

An NFL lockout is a suspension of a season because the players' union and team owners can't come to agreement on terms of things relating to contracts and such, because every few years they have to renew the collective agreement between players and the teams. And it's a very real chance of happening next year.

Latest posts