• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023 (expanded) Rugby World Cup for South Africa

would they get enough local interest in the USA? whats happening with their new professional comp? It could be cool to do shortly after the comp kicks of, build a bit of hype

Of course, the USA has not bid for the 2023 World Cup. So we are not talking about the near future, in their case. Probably the earliest they could hope for would be some time in the 2030s. By that time PRO Rugby will have grown to at least eight teams, with two of them in Canada. As it stands, they're kicking off this year with a five team league, I understand, with three of the clubs based in California.

It will be great if the World Cup will be held in America, but then you'll have the situation of a journalist asking the average American citizen on the street if he is aware of the Rugby World Cup being held in his own country and he doesn't have a clue what it is. That's one of the issues the rugby world cup organisers will have to deal with, generating real interest in the US for the game and making as many people as possible aware of the spectacle. Rugby is the fastest growing sport in America, so it is moving in the right direction with more people becoming interested.

Hi Rowan (or should I say Quenton,)

You think seven years is long enough to keep your head down in the hope that some of us have forgotten who you are?

Last edited:
That's my concern, Sharkfan. It's also one of the reasons I think it would be prudent to see how Japan goes off first before awarding the tournament to another emerging rugby nation. With the decision being made in May next year, Italy would just be too risky an option, I believe. Best to return to a rugby heartland in 2023, and then if Japan goes off well Italy, Argentina or even the US could be in line for 2027.

It will be great if the World Cup will be held in America, but then you'll have the situation of a journalist asking the average American citizen on the street if he is aware of the Rugby World Cup being held in his own country and he doesn't have a clue what it is.
That's exactly what it was like at the Soccer World Cup in 1994 and the game has grown a lot since then in the US. It can only be good for rugby in the US, but I also think that it would be best to wait how the World Cup in Japan works out before you think about giving it to countries like Argentina, Italy or even more so the US.
Despite being from Europe, I don't think it's time for yet another World Cup in this time of the world.

That's exactly what it was like at the Soccer World Cup in 1994 and the game has grown a lot since then in the US. It can only be good for rugby in the US, but I also think that it would be best to wait how the World Cup in Japan works out before you think about giving it to countries like Argentina, Italy or even more so the US.
Despite being from Europe, I don't think it's time for yet another World Cup in this time of the world.

Yes, a RWC could be lost in America so soon. & that would damage the tournament's image considerably. 2030s would be better for the US. Let's remember that this is no further away from 2016 than the 1990s - not so far off, really. So I think it should go something like the following:

2023 South Africa - rugby heartland, guaranteed success after Japanese experiment, antipodes of Japan, return to the dominant hemisphere after 12-year absence
2027 Italy/France - Italy is main host but help from France as co-host. Back to Europe after 12-year absence
2031 Argentina - first time to the Americas, tier 1 nation with a large rugby community, double RWC semi-finalist
2035 Georgia/Romania - if they're ready. Georgia as main host. If not Eastern Europe, it'll probably be somewhere in the UK/Ireland again, regrettably
2039 USA/Canada - USA is main host. Pro rugby will be well-established by then, they'll be ready to host, and hopefully the public will have caught on
2043 Japan again ??
2047 Australia again??

How does Japan get it again before Aus/Nz? Not sure Georgia or Romania will have the infrastructure in 20 years time. Think Argentina deserve it more than Italy tbh..

That's a little bit like asking why Japan might get the FIFA World Cup again before Argentina and Uruguay. Times have changed. The tournament is growing and growing. We have to look at larger host nations and larger markets. New Zealand is simply too small to host it again, while Australia doesn't seem interested right now. I'm not a fan of the same countries hosting it again and again, btw. It's just hard to see so far into the future. Hopefully new countries will come through over the next few decades, like Russia and Brazil, which would bring them into contention as well, of course. I understand Russia had actually considered bidding for the 2023 RWC, but along with Argentina and the US failed to come through with an official bid.

Latest posts