• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hong Kong Sevens 2007

G

Gay-Guy

Serevi's last Hong Kong tournament......sad to see him go on a sad note...though his match winning try against NZ in the semi will probably be his final glory moment. With Serevi out of the sevens

The Cup final was a game of two halves......Samoa had all the ball in the first half and as a result all the points. The second half was exactly the same except this time fiji had all the ball and all the points....though in the end they fell short.

Samoa play a possession game....at every tackle situation they go into they try and make sure there is support at each ruck to recycle the ball. They rely on their strength in the tackle to try and win the ball again.

Fiji played the game they have always played....lots of talented runners............they were unfortunate that they lacked the nous at ruck time to recycle the ball and turned the ball over in the dying seconds when on attack.

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

manuia le aso boys! have a safe journey back home to the isles and celebrate that gold...

i love the fact that those are all samoan breed players..thats awesome,hopefully they can pull that card and use some of those players for the world cup...

nothings more dangerous then disciplined samoans..

anythings possible...samoa gave them the shake up of the tournament in 2003..that was one of the best matches of that whole series..and shaped england up for the grand final...

Vinaka and congratulations to the Samoans for beating us in the finals.

It was indeed a game of two halves, we were shell shocked in the first one gifting the Samoans 5 tries. Uale Mai showed why he was the IRB 2006 7s player of the year, great leadership and great control.

For us, it was heartbreaking losing like that but we're happy that England bombed out in the quarters and majority of us were just glad that we beat arch-rivals NZ in the semis.

See you this week in Adelaide boys. Hope we meet again the final. It's time for the Islands to shine now.

Go FIJI Go!!!

Do any of the Fijian players live outside of Fiji? I think it was a real island affair come to think of it. Hard to believe the best free runners in the world would be trained under coconut trees.

Fiji would have been devastating with Rupeni, Tuilevu, Rabeni, Delasau, etc etc....and blah blah in their ranks. Samoa could have profitted with Masaga, Lima, Faatau, Tagicakibau, etc as well. I suppose it was good to see the locals playing against each other though.....always good to see others show their goods with the opportunity that sevens provides.

Good on Russia to win the plate final....or was it the bowl?

Some of the minor playing nations have got some serious individual talent. I suppose the world is big so of course there would be good runners everywhere.

The Samoans have employed a diiferent style of sevens than what we have seen in the last 15 years. They pass it around a bit and when they go forward they try and stay on their feet and struggle with their tackler until others come around to help maintain possession at the ruck. They emphasise winning every ruck when they have the ball MORE than making breaks. No one will really go for it all out if they make a break unless they know they can go all the way to the line.

I think if Fiji incorporated Samoa's tactics into their gameplan they would be incredible. At the moment they only have one game plan......run and put people into gaps and try to outgas them. However when they come against a team with a great defence they start to look confused on what to do.....frustrated. It is then that they need to use the Samoan game plan to hold onto possession until the see a chance to out run them.

what's the latest on this? Does anyone know how Jack Adams got on for England? That guy's gonna be world class one day!

Nice one to Samoa... Is Terry Fanolua still involved in their XV side?

Do any of the Fijian players live outside of Fiji? I think it was a real island affair come to think of it. Hard to believe the best free runners in the world would be trained under coconut trees.

Fiji would have been devastating with Rupeni, Tuilevu, Rabeni, Delasau, etc etc....and blah blah in their ranks. Samoa could have profitted with Masaga, Lima, Faatau, Tagicakibau, etc as well. I suppose it was good to see the locals playing against each other though.....always good to see others show their goods with the opportunity that sevens provides.

Good on Russia to win the plate final....or was it the bowl?

Some of the minor playing nations have got some serious individual talent. I suppose the world is big so of course there would be good runners everywhere.

The Samoans have employed a diiferent style of sevens than what we have seen in the last 15 years. They pass it around a bit and when they go forward they try and stay on their feet and struggle with their tackler until others come around to help maintain possession at the ruck. They emphasise winning every ruck when they have the ball MORE than making breaks. No one will really go for it all out if they make a break unless they know they can go all the way to the line.

I think if Fiji incorporated Samoa's tactics into their gameplan they would be incredible. At the moment they only have one game plan......run and put people into gaps and try to outgas them. However when they come against a team with a great defence they start to look confused on what to do.....frustrated. It is then that they need to use the Samoan game plan to hold onto possession until the see a chance to out run them.
[/b]

Only the captain Semisi Naevo is based in Japan. The rest are all home based players.

Good to see the Samoans have moved away from predominantly picking NZ based players. Their winger (also HK 7s top try scorer) was awesome...great footwork, great defence and plenty of gas to burn. Good stuff.

Fiji has also trying to minimise the use of overseas-base players. This is so local ones can be given a chance to perform at international level. We dont really need Caucau, Delasau or Tuilevu. We got an abundance of speedy wingers in the islands but it's the experience that they lack.

Danny, I'm not sure how Jack Adams went but I'm sure if given more opportunities he would be able to 'shine' in the comp.

Latest posts