• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hong Kong Sevens

W

willie john

Very disappointed once again that Ireland will not be sending a team to this year´s Hong Kong Sevens. It must be 8 years since the Emerald Isle was represented at THE tournament of the IRB SEVENS SERIES. When you look at the success England have had there in recent years and what it has done for their development side, it seems absolutely ludicrous that Ireland dont get their act together and join this circuit. Considering the Hong Kong Sevens is such a party from the first whistle on Friday afternoon til the last on Sunday evening, and with us Irish being renowned for enjoying the odd tipple, you would have thought the powers that be would at least send some form of a team to what is surely the main event of the IRB SEVENS series. I was in Dubai at the beginning of December, and that tournament seems to be quickly catching the Hong Kong equivalent in terms of popularity. It was completely sold out in advance, but I managed to secure tickets at a very reasonable price from a company called MANCUNIAN TICKETS (you can find them at www.mancuniantickets.com).
30000 fans, 75% of which were bleary-eyed by the final whistle watched 2 days of spectacular rugby in the desert. New Zealand beat Fiji in a thrilling final, but the standard of the rugby over the 2 days, especially from the so-called minnows, was a joy to watch, not to mention the party that was going on on the sidelines. I am very much looking forward to the 2008 Hong Kong Sevens, Mancunian Tickets have taken care of our tickets again, and although there will be no Irish team, I shall indulge myself and enjoy the rugby.

Willie John

The sevens style of play just doesn't suit some nations, so that's prob why the paddys didnt send anyone

Very disappointed once again that Ireland will not be sending a team to this year´s Hong Kong Sevens. It must be 8 years since the Emerald Isle was represented at THE tournament of the IRB SEVENS SERIES. When you look at the success England have had there in recent years and what it has done for their development side, it seems absolutely ludicrous that Ireland dont get their act together and join this circuit. Considering the Hong Kong Sevens is such a party from the first whistle on Friday afternoon til the last on Sunday evening, and with us Irish being renowned for enjoying the odd tipple, you would have thought the powers that be would at least send some form of a team to what is surely the main event of the IRB SEVENS series. I was in Dubai at the beginning of December, and that tournament seems to be quickly catching the Hong Kong equivalent in terms of popularity. It was completely sold out in advance, but I managed to secure tickets at a very reasonable price from a company called MANCUNIAN TICKETS (you can find them at www.mancuniantickets.com).
30000 fans, 75% of which were bleary-eyed by the final whistle watched 2 days of spectacular rugby in the desert. New Zealand beat Fiji in a thrilling final, but the standard of the rugby over the 2 days, especially from the so-called minnows, was a joy to watch, not to mention the party that was going on on the sidelines. I am very much looking forward to the 2008 Hong Kong Sevens, Mancunian Tickets have taken care of our tickets again, and although there will be no Irish team, I shall indulge myself and enjoy the rugby.

Willie John [/b]

This is shameless advertising for Mancunian tickets. Shouldn't users like that be removed?

<div class='quotemain'> Very disappointed once again that Ireland will not be sending a team to this year´s Hong Kong Sevens. It must be 8 years since the Emerald Isle was represented at THE tournament of the IRB SEVENS SERIES. When you look at the success England have had there in recent years and what it has done for their development side, it seems absolutely ludicrous that Ireland dont get their act together and join this circuit. Considering the Hong Kong Sevens is such a party from the first whistle on Friday afternoon til the last on Sunday evening, and with us Irish being renowned for enjoying the odd tipple, you would have thought the powers that be would at least send some form of a team to what is surely the main event of the IRB SEVENS series. I was in Dubai at the beginning of December, and that tournament seems to be quickly catching the Hong Kong equivalent in terms of popularity. It was completely sold out in advance, but I managed to secure tickets at a very reasonable price from a company called MANCUNIAN TICKETS (you can find them at www.mancuniantickets.com).

Willie John [/b]

This is shameless advertising for Mancunian tickets. Shouldn't users like that be removed?
[/b][/quote]

Ithink that is a little unfair as i have used MANCUNIAN tickets in the past and found them to be an exellent company who provide an amazing service at incredibly cost effective prices. What commission do I get? :D

Went to Hong Kong sevens last year and it is one of the best rugby trips ive been on by far.Im sure you will enjoy even tho the Irish have not sent a team there.

It has been years since I last went to the HK Sevens - sometime in the early 90s.

Are the Australians still roundly booed and jeered by every non-Aussie in the stadium?

Why didnt ireland send a team, i would ahve a thought thay would have a chance of winning

Not so much the Australians.The French on the other were giving a "Stand up if you hate the French" every time they took the field.

I hope to one day make it to hong kong for the 7s.. if i do, Fiji better be the cup final winner... our team has been hopeless of late

I hope to one day make it to hong kong for the 7s.. if i do, Fiji better be the cup final winner... our team has been hopeless of late [/b]

Dont worry bra.. Savou is gonna make up for these last couple of legs. Our marquee players are becoming available. The 12 man squad will be named on March 8th New Zealand BETTER be ready. The Team I would put up is

Semisi Naevo

Mosese Volavola

William Ryder

Lepani Nabuliwaqa

Waisale Serevi

Emosi Vucago

Taniela Rawaqa

Marika Vunibaka

Vilimoni Delasau

Peni Rokodivi

Nausoni Roko

Viliame Satala

I went to the HK7s last year but I couldn't get tickets there so had to watch it in a bar!

The Fiji team to HK has been named with a lot of experience players back..

Fiji:

Semisi Naevo, Mosese Volavola, Marika Vunibaka, Viliame Maya, Epeli Vuniwaqa, Setefano Cakau, Lepani Nabuliwaqa, Emosi Vucago, William Ryder, Nasoni Roko, Tomasi Mawi, Iliavi Satala, Ratunaisa Narukutabua*, Timoci Matanavou* & Jone Kuruduadua*.

* denotes new players.

The Fiji team to HK has been named with a lot of experience players back..

Fiji:

Semisi Naevo, Mosese Volavola, Marika Vunibaka, Viliame Maya, Epeli Vuniwaqa, Setefano Cakau, Lepani Nabuliwaqa, Emosi Vucago, William Ryder, Nasoni Roko, Tomasi Mawi, Iliavi Satala, Ratunaisa Narukutabua*, Timoci Matanavou* & Jone Kuruduadua*.

* denotes new players.
[/b]

Semisi Naevo has withdrawn from the team due to injury...the final 12-member squad was named last weekend..

Mosese Volavola, Marika Vunibaka, Viliame Maya, Setefano Cakau, Lepani Nabuliwaqa, Emosi Vucago, William Ryder, Nasoni Roko, Tomasi Mawi, Ratunaisa Narukutabua*, Timoci Matanavou* & Jone Kuruduadua*.
Non-Travelling Reserves: Epeli Vuniwaqa & Iliavi Satala. A third player will be added to the list to replace Naevo.

NZ 7s Squad:

Tomasi Cama, Edwin Cocker, DJ Forbes [C], Nigel Hunt, Solomon King, Zar Lawrence, Lote Raikabula, Rene Ranger, Chad Tuoro*, Nafi Tuitavake*, Victor Vito, Steven Yates

NB: * denotes new players.

Fiji is like the prince of sevens, it's like they were born and built for the game, but if they're the prince NZ is the king.

Simply unstoppable.

We're there and there abouts, this season we seem to be the only team realistically -trying- to match NZ, but they're in a class of their own this year.

Class! they are awesome! the mentality and physicalilty of NZ are so awesome! Tietjens is truely an amazing coach. They were so impressive against Fiji, totally outclassed them! NZ Champions of 07/08! :cheers: Chee boh

Class! they are awesome! the mentality and physicalilty of NZ are so awesome! Tietjens is truely an amazing coach. They were so impressive against Fiji, totally outclassed them! NZ Champions of 07/08! :cheers: Chee boh
[/b]

congratz

really awesome.

arg lost the plate in the final.. :wall:

Latest posts