Hookers

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by OhioSensei, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhioSensei

OhioSensei Guest

Hello Teachers! :)

I am new to the forum so please can all you ruffy tuffy guys be gentle with me.

I am a Japanese exchange student and I became interested in rugby after attending the world cup qualifiers on a visit to Hong Kong. :girl_drink1:

Anyhows I have a question and I am sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum.

Can someone please explain to me the etymology of ‘Hooker’.

Thanking you all in advance.

:heart:

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. KZNSharksFan

KZNSharksFan Guest

Well the word "hooker" simply refers to the player who stands in the middle of the front row of the scrum with the number 2 on his back. It came about because the no.2 "hooks" the ball with his foot as it is inserted into the scrum.

4. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

do not go to the red light district and ask this same question... you may encounter a pleasant surprise. with extra happy ending :)

5. Pieter Botha

Pieter Botha Guest

Give my regawds to the hookers!

THE DUTCH HOOKERS!

[​IMG]

6. OhioSensei

OhioSensei Guest

Thank you for this very kind and knowlegeable reply.

However I am a tad confused as to how and why the #2 'hooks' the ball... as a hook is like a curved spike... Captain Hook wore in the movie...

Was rugby a game played by pirates?

Apologies as I am not so understanding of rugby terms... Is the red-light district a term for the sin-bin where you go if you get a red card and if so what is the pleasant surprise and happy ending?

I am confused, again?

Thank you for your reply and awaiting clarification.

Do the Dutch play mixed rugby?

I have never been to a rugby match in Holland. It looks interesting.

Thank you for your reply.

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Oh, teh lulz!

What he means is the ball is "hooked back" with the back of the foot, the bend of the players leg during the act forming a hook.

Anyway, i found this which you should find helpful;

8. Gay-Guy

Gay-Guy Guest

Haha!!!

Whatever Ohio...whatever lol!

9. OhioSensei

OhioSensei Guest

I am not too sure what is funny. :mellow:

Excuse me whilst I read the kind previous posters explanation.

10. nam97

nam97 Guest

11. BLR

BLR Guest

Surely that second post from the opening poster is a wind up?

12. Gay-Guy

Gay-Guy Guest

Yep...it was a dead giveaway! :lol:

And W-Cullen...come on this pic was perhaps going just abit too far hahahaaaaa!
    [​IMG]

13. C A Iversen

C A Iversen Guest

Wow, what a trio of sexual conquistadors we have here!

[​IMG]

Well, at least at bed-time I'll now know what faces I need to pull before the winning post to get the wife screaming satisfactorily.

14. OhioSensei

OhioSensei Guest

OK and thank you very much for this... I do actually follow rugby so I know what the hooker does it is just I cannot really understand why the term 'hooker' and to all you distractors following I did qualify my enquiry as I was concerned with the etymology of the name... that means how and why the hooker is called a hooker.

I now understand it is because he hooks the ball with his feet akin to an arch... but that would then make me think why would it not be termed archer?...

Hmmm...

15. OK and thank you very much for this... I do actually follow rugby so I know what the hooker does it is just I cannot really understand why the term 'hooker' and to all you distractors following I did qualify my enquiry as I was concerned with the etymology of the name... that means how and why the hooker is called a hooker.

I now understand it is because he hooks the ball with his feet akin to an arch... but that would then make me think why would it not be termed archer?...

Hmmm...
    [/b][/quote]

Boooo....
    Rugby isn't the Game of the thinkers! Rugby is the game of the workers!
    You have to love action!

Now get on the pitch :bana:

16. Archer? geez they're not called hookers because they make their leg into a hook shape or an arch.....they're called hookers because they hook for the ball when it is fed into a scrum. They can also be called rakes (no, not because they make a rake shape...) and theres a heap of other names that can be applied to the No.2 position. Sometimes its better to just go with what its been called for 100's of years instead of question why its called that and not something else.

17. OhioSensei

OhioSensei Guest

I have to beg to differ that rugby is a tactical game and thus requires some thinking... especially considering that it evolved from a school rather than the workplace...

You should stick to soccer... IHOMO.

Nothing wrong in asking questions... especially considering the usage of the actual term.

for example: If I called you gay many years ago it would have been a term of endearment being happy and fluffy... If I called you gay now you may or may not take offense. Same with calling someone a hooker. IHOMO.

18. C A Iversen

C A Iversen Guest

OK and thank you very much for this... I do actually follow rugby so I know what the hooker does it is just I cannot really understand why the term 'hooker' and to all you distractors following I did qualify my enquiry as I was concerned with the etymology of the name... that means how and why the hooker is called a hooker.

Hmmm...

[/b][/quote]

I can imagine that if it had been referred to as arching for the ball when this all started, it would've caused confusion with another sport, called 'archery'.

Also, due to the hookers foot being lifted off the ground, moving up and as far forward as it can to snare the ball, it is more akin to trying to hook a fish, than arching anything. Then the ball is then trapped (if successful) and the leg is hooked backwards, somewhat bent at the knee, to propel the ball to the back of the scrum for the number 8 or halfback. The whole process is very accurately described as hooking the ball.

I hope that makes things as plain as anyone will ever need.

19. OhioSensei

OhioSensei Guest

Thank you for the explanation... now that was not so difficult was it?... you could have said that in your first post rather than making fun of handicapped people. But if that is what you think is funny then go ahead and laugh at people who were born special and are trying to make the most of their life...

I hope you feel better for your cheap laugh. Do you feel like a big rugged man now?...

20. Sir Speedy

Sir Speedy Guest

Joke...topic?

21. OhioSensei

OhioSensei Guest

Topic is etymology of rugby terms... please keep with the program. And feel free to contribute something if you can. BTW etymology means how and why and where words/term came about/into usage.

Jokes on this forum seems to be making fun of handicapped people... maybe some of you posters should watch the para-olympics and laugh.

Hmmm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!