• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hookers

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OhioSensei

Hello Teachers! :)

I am new to the forum so please can all you ruffy tuffy guys be gentle with me.

I am a Japanese exchange student and I became interested in rugby after attending the world cup qualifiers on a visit to Hong Kong. :girl_drink1:

Anyhows I have a question and I am sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum.

Can someone please explain to me the etymology of ‘Hooker’.

Thanking you all in advance.

:heart:

Well the word "hooker" simply refers to the player who stands in the middle of the front row of the scrum with the number 2 on his back. It came about because the no.2 "hooks" the ball with his foot as it is inserted into the scrum.

do not go to the red light district and ask this same question... you may encounter a pleasant surprise. with extra happy ending :)

Give my regawds to the hookers!

THE DUTCH HOOKERS!

nuts.jpg

Well the word "hooker" simply refers to the player who stands in the middle of the front row of the scrum with the number 2 on his back. It came about because the no.2 "hooks" the ball with his foot as it is inserted into the scrum.
[/b]

Thank you for this very kind and knowlegeable reply.

However I am a tad confused as to how and why the #2 'hooks' the ball... as a hook is like a curved spike... Captain Hook wore in the movie...

Was rugby a game played by pirates?

do not go to the red light district and ask this same question... you may encounter a pleasant surprise. with extra happy ending :)
[/b]

Apologies as I am not so understanding of rugby terms... Is the red-light district a term for the sin-bin where you go if you get a red card and if so what is the pleasant surprise and happy ending?

I am confused, again?

Thank you for your reply and awaiting clarification.

Give my regawds to the hookers!

THE DUTCH HOOKERS!

nuts.jpg

[/b]

Do the Dutch play mixed rugby?

I have never been to a rugby match in Holland. It looks interesting.

Thank you for your reply.

Oh, teh lulz!

What he means is the ball is "hooked back" with the back of the foot, the bend of the players leg during the act forming a hook.

Anyway, i found this which you should find helpful;

he hooker is very important as one of the most significant skilled positions on the team.

A good hooker must have the technique skill and physical capability to perform several tasks.

1. Strike: Ability to win ball on his own team's put-in and, if required against the head (against the opposition hooker). In the old days, a hooker generally hooked his foot around to the ball in order to hit the ball with the instep to force it back between the loosehead prop's feet to about the locks knees.

With practiced timing, many hookers are now taught to strike (essentially a snap kick) with the foot to where the ball will land. The heel strikes the ground and the front of the foot is pivoted back to direct the ball to the rear of the scrum. This requires flexibility.

If you know a wrestler (assuming you do not already know the technique), have him teach you how to do the wrestling move- “the sit out†(both long and short). This will help train the movement of the torso with the upper body supported and the hips rotating.

2. Lineout throw: Ability to throw in accurately and quickly at the line-out with timed throws- rising and flat to the front and slower timed lobs to the middle and back of a long line-out, with the additional ability to throw quick timed throws to jumpers and gaps in a short line-out (Good coordination between eye and hand and foot movements).

With lineouts being the most common form of restart, it is important that the hooker can make powerful accurate passes. A way to train this is to make a mark around thirteen feet above the ground on a wall, or even the goal posts. Adjust this to match the height of the hands of the ball receiver in the lineout. From the wall, mark locations for about six meters, eight meters, and ten meters. Stand at these locations and practice your throw in to the target.

Use different techniques that are comfortable to you. American men tend to be comfortable with the football pass. American women tend to be more comfortable with the underhanded softball type throw. Football centers and soccer players tend to use a two handed twisting throw. Find what works for you.

There is a lot of pressure being a hooker at a line out. Gave yourself a routine (little dance if you will). Use this routine every time you come up to the lineout. It may be as simple as standing at the line of touch with feet together, wiping off your hand on the front of your jersey, and taking a deep breath. Having a routine will calm you down.

3. Scrummaging ability: Be a third prop. Once the strike is complete, an effective hooker becomes part of the push. This requires strength endurance (sustain or repeat muscular effort against high resistance) and power (effective combination of strength <greatest force exerted by an athlete> and speed <ability to move the body as quickly as possible>).

4. BE A FOURTH LOOSE FORWARD- In the loose play, the hooker generally acts like a loose forward by being mobile and making it to the breakdowns. This requires both aerobic and anaerobic alactic capacity (ability to sustain high burst of energy for ten seconds or less)

A simple way to train for the position of hooker is to use a door jamb or any solid vertical surface with an edge. Remember that when the front rows come together, their shoulders are rarely above 38-42 inches. Mark this height on the door jamb. Now on the ground mark a location about 30 inches to each side of the pushing surface. This will be about the position your scrum half will initially put the ball in. Get into a pushing position (wusses like me use a pillow between the surface and the shoulders). Practice your strike. It is important to remember that you get lower by bending at the knees and planting the supporting (non-striking) foot further back. If you have a scrum machine available, use it also to get the feel of pressure on both shoulders.

A review of the essential skills of a hooker:

Essential skills:

1. In the scrum:
-To bind tightly and quickly with props. Weight training and exercises to develop neck, shoulders, arms, back and leg muscles are necessary
-To position head, body, and legs in correct position, head forced up, hips below the shoulders, eyes on the ball
-To time the strike with feed of ball
-To move ball through appropriate channels

2. Line-out:
-To throw the ball various distances with accuracy
-To position body, head and arms for throw so the ball is visible to the forwards. Ball should be visible to the forwards
-To communicate with forward jumpers, to discuss type of throw, height speed, trajectory of ball

3. Contact: The majority of energy is expended in contact situations and tight-play
-To scrummage correctly
-To maul and ruck
-To support at front of line-outs and general play
-To tackle in close situations
-To be able to fall on ball going forwards and backwards and to regain feet quickly

4. Handling:
-To give and take a short lifted pass
-To manipulate, rip out and roll off a maul
-To pick up LINEOUT deflections and charged down drop outs

Final thoughts:

1. In the scrum, lineout, and loose play, the hooker must understand the importance of correct body, feet, and head position.

2. In the scrum, line-out and loose play, the hooker must understand the importance of correct body mechanics, i.e. binding, grip, locking, snap shove, drives, channeling ball, foot pressure, angles etc.

3. Develop lineout skills- i.e. timing of the jump, body position for jump, jumping aggressively; need for close communication between thrower and jumper. Knowledge of different throws and the ability to work with a short lineout where timing and body movements become critical is necessary.

4. Ability to develop the skills required in the second and third row of rucks and mauls is essential (body position and mechanics, the drive, ball channels, tight binds etc.)

5. Primary reasons to exist are to win clean ball and to add strength and power to the set play.

6. Fitness, strength, and stamina are essential. Training is critical to developing them.

7. Always be around the ball and GO FORWARD-pressure the opposition.[/b]

Haha!!!

Whatever Ohio...whatever lol!
[/b]

I am not too sure what is funny. :mellow:

Excuse me whilst I read the kind previous posters explanation.

Surely that second post from the opening poster is a wind up? [/b]

Yep...it was a dead giveaway! :lol:

And W-Cullen...come on this pic was perhaps going just abit too far hahahaaaaa!
awesome_thread.jpg

Wow, what a trio of sexual conquistadors we have here!

awesome_thread.jpg

Well, at least at bed-time I'll now know what faces I need to pull before the winning post to get the wife screaming satisfactorily.

Oh, teh lulz!

What he means is the ball is "hooked back" with the back of the foot, the bend of the players leg during the act forming a hook.

he hooker is very important as one of the most significant skilled positions on the team.

A good hooker must have the technique skill and physical capability to perform several tasks.

1. Strike: Ability to win ball on his own team's put-in and, if required against the head (against the opposition hooker). In the old days, a hooker generally hooked his foot around to the ball in order to hit the ball with the instep to force it back between the loosehead prop's feet to about the locks knees.

With practiced timing, many hookers are now taught to strike (essentially a snap kick) with the foot to where the ball will land. The heel strikes the ground and the front of the foot is pivoted back to direct the ball to the rear of the scrum. This requires flexibility.

If you know a wrestler (assuming you do not already know the technique), have him teach you how to do the wrestling move- “the sit out†(both long and short). This will help train the movement of the torso with the upper body supported and the hips rotating.

2. Lineout throw: Ability to throw in accurately and quickly at the line-out with timed throws- rising and flat to the front and slower timed lobs to the middle and back of a long line-out, with the additional ability to throw quick timed throws to jumpers and gaps in a short line-out (Good coordination between eye and hand and foot movements).

With lineouts being the most common form of restart, it is important that the hooker can make powerful accurate passes. A way to train this is to make a mark around thirteen feet above the ground on a wall, or even the goal posts. Adjust this to match the height of the hands of the ball receiver in the lineout. From the wall, mark locations for about six meters, eight meters, and ten meters. Stand at these locations and practice your throw in to the target.

Use different techniques that are comfortable to you. American men tend to be comfortable with the football pass. American women tend to be more comfortable with the underhanded softball type throw. Football centers and soccer players tend to use a two handed twisting throw. Find what works for you.

There is a lot of pressure being a hooker at a line out. Gave yourself a routine (little dance if you will). Use this routine every time you come up to the lineout. It may be as simple as standing at the line of touch with feet together, wiping off your hand on the front of your jersey, and taking a deep breath. Having a routine will calm you down.

3. Scrummaging ability: Be a third prop. Once the strike is complete, an effective hooker becomes part of the push. This requires strength endurance (sustain or repeat muscular effort against high resistance) and power (effective combination of strength <greatest force exerted by an athlete> and speed <ability to move the body as quickly as possible>).

4. BE A FOURTH LOOSE FORWARD- In the loose play, the hooker generally acts like a loose forward by being mobile and making it to the breakdowns. This requires both aerobic and anaerobic alactic capacity (ability to sustain high burst of energy for ten seconds or less)

A simple way to train for the position of hooker is to use a door jamb or any solid vertical surface with an edge. Remember that when the front rows come together, their shoulders are rarely above 38-42 inches. Mark this height on the door jamb. Now on the ground mark a location about 30 inches to each side of the pushing surface. This will be about the position your scrum half will initially put the ball in. Get into a pushing position (wusses like me use a pillow between the surface and the shoulders). Practice your strike. It is important to remember that you get lower by bending at the knees and planting the supporting (non-striking) foot further back. If you have a scrum machine available, use it also to get the feel of pressure on both shoulders.

Essential skills:

1. In the scrum:
-To bind tightly and quickly with props. Weight training and exercises to develop neck, shoulders, arms, back and leg muscles are necessary
-To position head, body, and legs in correct position, head forced up, hips below the shoulders, eyes on the ball

2. Line-out:
-To position body, head and arms for throw so the ball is visible to the forwards. Ball should be visible to the forwards
-To communicate with forward jumpers, to discuss type of throw, height speed, trajectory of ball

3. Contact: The majority of energy is expended in contact situations and tight-play
-To scrummage correctly
-To maul and ruck
-To be able to fall on ball going forwards and backwards and to regain feet quickly

4. Handling:

Final thoughts:

1. In the scrum, lineout, and loose play, the hooker must understand the importance of correct body, feet, and head position.

2. In the scrum, line-out and loose play, the hooker must understand the importance of correct body mechanics, i.e. binding, grip, locking, snap shove, drives, channeling ball, foot pressure, angles etc.

3. Develop lineout skills- i.e. timing of the jump, body position for jump, jumping aggressively; need for close communication between thrower and jumper. Knowledge of different throws and the ability to work with a short lineout where timing and body movements become critical is necessary.

4. Ability to develop the skills required in the second and third row of rucks and mauls is essential (body position and mechanics, the drive, ball channels, tight binds etc.)

5. Primary reasons to exist are to win clean ball and to add strength and power to the set play.

6. Fitness, strength, and stamina are essential. Training is critical to developing them.

[/b]

OK and thank you very much for this... I do actually follow rugby so I know what the hooker does it is just I cannot really understand why the term 'hooker' and to all you distractors following I did qualify my enquiry as I was concerned with the etymology of the name... that means how and why the hooker is called a hooker.

I now understand it is because he hooks the ball with his feet akin to an arch... but that would then make me think why would it not be termed archer?...

Hmmm...

<div class='quotemain'>
Oh, teh lulz!

Essential skills:

1. In the scrum:

2. Line-out:

-To scrummage correctly
-To maul and ruck

4. Handling:

Final thoughts:

[/b]

OK and thank you very much for this... I do actually follow rugby so I know what the hooker does it is just I cannot really understand why the term 'hooker' and to all you distractors following I did qualify my enquiry as I was concerned with the etymology of the name... that means how and why the hooker is called a hooker.

I now understand it is because he hooks the ball with his feet akin to an arch... but that would then make me think why would it not be termed archer?...

Hmmm...
[/b][/quote]

Boooo....
Rugby isn't the Game of the thinkers! Rugby is the game of the workers!
You have to love action!

Now get on the pitch :bana:

Hmmm...
[/b]
Archer? geez they're not called hookers because they make their leg into a hook shape or an arch.....they're called hookers because they hook for the ball when it is fed into a scrum. They can also be called rakes (no, not because they make a rake shape...) and theres a heap of other names that can be applied to the No.2 position. Sometimes its better to just go with what its been called for 100's of years instead of question why its called that and not something else.

Boooo....
Rugby isn't the Game of the thinkers! Rugby is the game of the workers!
You have to love action!

Now get on the pitch :bana:
[/b]

I have to beg to differ that rugby is a tactical game and thus requires some thinking... especially considering that it evolved from a school rather than the workplace...

You should stick to soccer... IHOMO.

Archer? geez they're not called hookers because they make their leg into a hook shape or an arch.....they're called hookers because they hook for the ball when it is fed into a scrum. They can also be called rakes (no, not because they make a rake shape...) and theres a heap of other names that can be applied to the No.2 position. Sometimes its better to just go with what its been called for 100's of years instead of question why its called that and not something else.
[/b]

Nothing wrong in asking questions... especially considering the usage of the actual term.

for example: If I called you gay many years ago it would have been a term of endearment being happy and fluffy... If I called you gay now you may or may not take offense. Same with calling someone a hooker. IHOMO.

<div class='quotemain'>
Oh, teh lulz!

If you know a wrestler (assuming you do not already know the technique), have him teach you how to do the wrestling move- "the sit out" (both long and short). This will help train the movement of the torso with the upper body supported and the hips rotating.

Essential skills:

1. In the scrum:

2. Line-out:

-To scrummage correctly
-To maul and ruck

4. Handling:

Final thoughts:

[/b]

Hmmm...

[/b][/quote]

I can imagine that if it had been referred to as arching for the ball when this all started, it would've caused confusion with another sport, called 'archery'.

Also, due to the hookers foot being lifted off the ground, moving up and as far forward as it can to snare the ball, it is more akin to trying to hook a fish, than arching anything. Then the ball is then trapped (if successful) and the leg is hooked backwards, somewhat bent at the knee, to propel the ball to the back of the scrum for the number 8 or halfback. The whole process is very accurately described as hooking the ball.

I hope that makes things as plain as anyone will ever need.

I can imagine that if it had been referred to as arching for the ball when this all started, it would've caused confusion with another sport, called 'archery'.

Also, due to the hookers foot being lifted off the ground, moving up and as far forward as it can to snare the ball, it is more akin to trying to hook a fish, than arching anything. Then the ball is then trapped (if successful) and the leg is hooked backwards, somewhat bent at the knee, to propel the ball to the back of the scrum for the number 8 or halfback. The whole process is very accurately described as hooking the ball.

I hope that makes things as plain as anyone will ever need.[/b]

Thank you for the explanation... now that was not so difficult was it?... you could have said that in your first post rather than making fun of handicapped people. But if that is what you think is funny then go ahead and laugh at people who were born special and are trying to make the most of their life...

I hope you feel better for your cheap laugh. Do you feel like a big rugged man now?...

Thank you for the explanation... now that was not so difficult was it?... you could have said that in your first post rather than making fun of handicapped people. But if that is what you think is funny then go ahead and laugh at people who were born special and are trying to make the most of their life...

I hope you feel better for your cheap laugh. Do you feel like a big rugged man now?...
[/b]
Joke...topic?

Joke...topic?[/b]

Topic is etymology of rugby terms... please keep with the program. And feel free to contribute something if you can. BTW etymology means how and why and where words/term came about/into usage.

Jokes on this forum seems to be making fun of handicapped people... maybe some of you posters should watch the para-olympics and laugh.

Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts