• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hopkins Calzaghe fight

B

bonneyboy

It's 5am now because i stayed up along with a few friends to watch the Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins fight.

Wasn't the best show of boxing, was wondering what people thought?

The referee was awful, especially considering the hard time he gave Hatton before.

I was impressed with hopkins though, he is 43 after all.

Didn't see it, my father told me that Joe won on points at the end. Good...

Watched it on the internet but the f***ing feed shut down after 3 rounds. So I listened to the radio. And I switched off when they were going, after 7 or 8 rounds, 'Calzaghe's staggering around, he looks dead on his feet'. Very pleasant surprise to wake up this morning and see that he won.

GET IN. Hopkins lost to a whiteboy. Pooooooooooooosssssssycat.

Apart from the first round where Joe got knocked down he looked fairly comfortable as the fight went on.

I think some of the commentary was dodgy and the BBC computer commentary was poor!!!!

Hopkins should have been docked points for the headbutts, clinches etc. I found him very frustrating which may have been good for some people but when the low blows went in which were really not massive ones it was quite funny to see his reaction.

Overall Cortez should be banned from officiating boxing, I really do think he is American biased and is also blind!

Well Done Joe !!!

Joe had a flash knowckdown in round one, and for the next 5 rounds he looked shaky, but hopkins got worn out.

Split decision decided it, i wasn't sure which way it would go to be honest

Calzaghe has been a really good fighter for years but I feel that his performance last night should set the alarm bells ringing. He failed to dominate a 43 year old and looked old himself in some of the rounds. Retire undefeated now and his place in British boxing will be as one of the best. Fighting another has-been in Roy Jones Jnr will prove all he is interested in is an easy pay day. I just wish he had gone to America when he was at his peak, then we would know where he really stood in the rank of greats or just another pretender.

Calzaghe has been a really good fighter for years but I feel that his performance last night should set the alarm bells ringing. He failed to dominate a 43 year old and looked old himself in some of the rounds. Retire undefeated now and his place in British boxing will be as one of the best. Fighting another has-been in Roy Jones Jnr will prove all he is interested in is an easy pay day. I just wish he had gone to America when he was at his peak, then we would know where he really stood in the rank of greats or just another pretender.
[/b]
I respect you comments, but I can't agree with them. He couldn't dominate the fight because Hopkins wouldn't let him. Every time Calzaghe went to get some momentum going, Hopkins would hold him. Joe dominates his opponents when they come at him. Hopkins not once attacked, everything was a counter.

The fact that Hopkins was so defensive cost him as Woodhall said during commentary that judges generally go with the more aggressive fighter despite them looking the better to everyone but them, so good luck to Calzaghe he fought the smarter fight

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I respect you comments, but I can't agree with them. He couldn't dominate the fight because Hopkins wouldn't let him. Every time Calzaghe went to get some momentum going, Hopkins would hold him. Joe dominates his opponents when they come at him. Hopkins not once attacked, everything was a counter.
[/b][/quote]

Agreed !!!

When Joe built momentium Hopkins either clinched, headbutted or went down for the fake low blows!

Cortez had a mair as a ref and should have docked points off Hopkins for heabutting!

Hopkins is all about spoiling tactics and making the other fighter look bad. I was very worried before the fight because it seemed to me that Hopkins was perfectly suited to beat Calzaghe, a paper to his rock.

Not the best fight from either man but I believe Calzaghe deserved the win. Unfortunately now my body clock is completely wrong and I'll be up all night again. :(

Ha yeah my body clock is also a bit messed up, think it may be as i slept most of the day other than watching the football this afternoon...

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Agreed !!!

When Joe built momentium Hopkins either clinched, headbutted or went down for the fake low blows!

Cortez had a mair as a ref and should have docked points off Hopkins for heabutting!
[/b][/quote]
Cotez was awful but that is what fighting in the States is about unfortunately. Hopkins has always been a dirty fighter but as in rugby you play to the ref. Nothing that went on would have surprised the Calzaghe camp I just feel that Joe wasnt in a position to do what he used to do about it. Im actually a Calzaghe fan and have watched him live many times, Im also a realist and know his best years are behind him. He is now fighting for his ego and that has been the downfall of many a great fighter.

Latest posts