• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How does your squad look for next season?

No problem with the lift, it's meant to be shared and enjoyed!

And like magic the thin lock situation is addressed. (^_-)

Yeah, I like it too. Experience of French Rugby and Internationally in an improving team. Dont think he'll start that many league games, but a good bench/European option to have. I also wonder how we became aware of the Aussie trialist, not exactly a high exposure competition outside of Oz

No idea on the latter part, as I said on the unoffy there was nothing scintillating about BJ Edwards in the YouTube video but I guess there must be something given the 6 months. Hope he's a revelation. Big guy too, that doesn't exactly come over in the video either so maybe it's a case of the camera lying. We have Evans and Glynn (latter is continuously improving and maybe the prem is what he needs to kick on properly) whom I both really rate anyway. Phillips can play lock also but given his form at 8 he'll probably remain there.

No idea on the latter part, as I said on the unoffy there was nothing scintillating about BJ Edwards in the YouTube video but I guess there must be something given the 6 months. Hope he's a revelation. Big guy too, that doesn't exactly come over in the video either so maybe it's a case of the camera lying. We have Evans and Glynn (latter is continuously improving and maybe the prem is what he needs to kick on properly) whom I both really rate anyway. Phillips can play lock also but given his form at 8 he'll probably remain there.

Agree, nothing outstanding but theres obviously something we've seen and like the potential. I guess he'll play A League games, maybe the odd LV Cup if he's allowed

Forwards
Props:
TH - Taione Vea, Jon Welsh, Scott Wilson, Paddy Ryan, Andrew Foster
LH - Ben Harris, Rob Vickers , Eric Fry, Alex Rogers, Sam Lockwood, Adam Brocklebank (A)

Hookers: Scott Lawson, Ben Sowrey, Kyle Cooper
David Nelson (A), Santiago Socino (A)

Second Rows: Callum Green, Mauritz Botha, Will Witty, Sean Robinson , Evan Olmstead, Nick Civetta, Glen Youngs, Andrew Davidson
Harry Snowdon (A), Josh Williams (A), Max Davies (A),

Back Row: Ally Hogg, Will Welch, Nili Latu, Mark Wilson, Dan Temm, Joshua Chisanga, Harrison Orr, Opeti Fonua, Tyrone Holmes
Joe Craggs (A), Calum Chick (A), Sebastian Ferreira (A), Simon Uzokwe (A)

Backs
SH's: Sonatane Tukulua, Micky Young, Sam Egerton
Dan Taylor (A), Ruaridh Dawson (A)

Fh's: Tom Catterick, Mike Delaney, Joel Hodgson
Craig Willis (A), Brett Connon (A)

Centres: Juan Pablo Socino, Adam Powell, Chris Harris,
Adam Redman centre (A), Tom Penny (A)

Wing: Sinoti Sinoti, Marcus Watson, Zac Kibirige, Veriniki Goneva,
Dan Marshall (A)

FB's: Alex Tait, Simon Hammersley
Ed Coulson (A)

Signings for This Season:
Niki Goneva - Wing (Leicester)
Sam Lockwood - LH Prop (Jersey)
Sam Egerton - SH (7's / Quins)
Harrison Orr - Back Row (Ealing)
Joel Hodgson - 9, 10, 15 (Leeds)
Ben Sowrey - Hooker (Worcester)
Evan Olmstead - Lock (London Scottish)
Opeti Fonua - Back Rower (Leicester)
Nick Civetta - Lock forward (Italy)
Andrew Davidson - Lock Forward Scotland U20
Kyle Cooper - Hooker (South Africa)
Tyrone Holmes - 6/7 - Glasgow

Yeah possibly.

Our second rows are quality. I'd prefer to see green go and keep Witty - he's started the preseasons in huge form along side Olmstead. They have looked a very physical duo yet mobile. And the young Scotland U20 lad we have signed Davidson looks a real prospect aswell, and young Max Davies in the academy is another coming through ....and we also have a young lock in the U18 England squad.

Of the lot of them I would hope to keep:
Will Witty, Sean Robinson , Evan Olmstead, Glen Youngs (On loan at Doncaster) , Andrew Davidson
Harry Snowdon (A), Josh Williams (A), Max Davies (A),
That gives us some very good options now and for the future. And most are home produced.

I wouldnt fear losing....Callum Green, Mauritz Botha (should retire anyway), Nick Civetta (completely out of his depth at this level)

Last edited:
Newcastle's squad actually looks better than I thought it was TBH.

Geordiefalcon - what does your starting XV look like? Presumably either Goneva or Sinoti drops in as a 13 rather than a wing?

Do you think the young English players - specifically, Wilson, Witty and Chick going to see much game time this season?

Yeah we have not a bad squad going in to this season...we did last season we were just crippled with injuries - long term to key players like Jon Welsh at TH who is class.

Its difficult to say just yet what the 1st choice squad would be as we have signed some players for our weaker positions but due to ****les we haven't seen them run out In the pre season yet. Ill be able to give a better idea after a couple of prem games.

However to give a rough idea....

1 Vickers (We signed Lockwood from Jersey who was named the LH in the championship team of the year but he's had a ****le)
2 Lawson / (Havent seen Cooper a SA hooker who apparently has a temper and is very physical)
3 Welsh / Vea (They will rotate with Welsh covering LH at times aswell)
4 Olmstead / Witty
5 Robinson
6 Wilson / Chisanga (Kenyan - He's like a new very raw version of Latu)
7 Welch
8 Latu

9 Egerton
10 Willis / Catterick / Hodgson / Delayney ??? My choice would be young Willis
11 Sinoti - Looks in the best shape I have ever seen him in preseason and aggressive as I have ever seen him
12 Socino
13 Harris (Goneva will probably get run outs here aswell)
14 Goneva / Watson
15 Hammersley

So as you can see...I just cant name a bang on first choice. Theres too many I need to see settled down.

And Dean Richards is fond of rotation and resting players.

As for the kids..the likes of Kibirige will get lots of gametime this season. Chick also was very good in the first preseason game...he'll get plenty of run outs. Witty has started the preseasons in a very physical and mobile way. His partnership with Olmstead has been really good.

Craggs a flanker.. Marshall a slight but rapid winger will definitely get time...as will Bret Conon another young FH who can cover FB. And hopefully Scotty Wilson our much vaunted young TH will get back in again. He missed the majority of last season with injury.

Last edited:
Can't look much further than another fairly unexciting season for Quins unfortunately.

On paper our first XV is quality, but when a fair few of those players head off for internationals the drop down in quality / experience is massive. However I'm looking forward to seeing more of Marchant, who should get plenty of game time due to the fragility of Lowe..
Mikalcius looked very good in his first run out at the weekend, and scored a decent try.
No idea who will nail down the hooker position, could be any of them.

Back row could be dented during internationals but Robshaw, Wallace and Clifford could be a force.

Last edited:
Can't look much further than another fairly unexciting season for Quins unfortunately.

On paper our first XV is quality, but when a fair few of those players head off for internationals the drop down in quality / experience is massive. However I'm looking forward to seeing more of Marchant, who should get plenty of game time due to the fragility of Lowe..
Mikalcius looked very good in his first run out at the weekend, and scored a decent try.
No idea who will nail down the hooker position, could be any of them.

Back row could be dented during internationals but Robshaw, Wallace and Clifford could be a force.

100% agree. The second string looked pretty terrible against London Irish, so unless we start well, losing our best players for the AIs will really screw us over.