• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How Far Ea Has Come Along

And lets not forget that Rugby 2001 was originally being developed for the PS1... Hence the oh so shitty graphics.

I think that EA has come along way in putting a half decent rugby game together! its taken them long enough lol But i suppose it all has to do with money? as if they dont get enough of it! <_<
The GFX are alot better than other versions but always room for improvement ;) The Menu layout is still bland in its design and falls way behind other EA Sports games, but we can hope that 07 will take it to the next level?
The game play has in my opinion improved a hell of alot! with the set-plays & hand offs, but the mauls need alot of work?
The Animation you can live with, but we need a better ending when winning a League or championship!
The sound needs a revamp, I think we need a different set of commentators for different championships e.g for the Six Nations we should have Eddie Butler & Johnathan Davis and not that annoying Grant Fox.
The create a new player is not bad but it sucks big time when your player is used ingame! room for a big improvement on that part!
The choice of competitions are not to bad but you should have the choice to create a tournament, like you can choose clubs or internatinal teams in FIFA & ISPro, we should also have the option to import teams-clubs players so on.
And it would be nice if EA had the license for the team clubs, player names and sponsors/badges so on. . . . .

But think about it, technology moves fast so do the development of games so it keeps up with what machine is out at the time (be it consoles or PC's), i still got my CBM C64 in the attic and looking at the GFX for that compared to what we have now is amazing! so my point is games will always get better and better with the movment of times and technology!!!! ;)

I have just started playing this again after a lengthly delay (a friend had the game for a couple of months) and it is interesting to read what everyone else has to say.

Most things EA have done pretty well but there are a couple of areas that need major overhauls.

1. The rucks - it is terrible that these are automatic because it makes it feel like a lottery.

2. Lineouts - terrible again. JLR was better and that game is almost ten years old now.

3. The menus - sooooooooo slooooooooooooooooooow!

4. Every team plays almost the same. There is hardly any variation in strategy or tactics.

5. More teams or at least the ability to create more teams and more tournaments.

6. The player editor is good but could be much easier to use.

I don't really care about the commentators - I normally zone out anyway after I have heard it all a few times. As long as they don't have the Australian ones then I will be happy.

yeah the lineouts are just one of the big issues for me, itd be good to be able to throw to another jumper ie blindside flanker as well as trick jumps etc

i love it when grant fox says "he's had a hard day so the coach is pulling him off"

Originally posted by woosaah@Jul 28 2006, 09:40 AM
yeah they had that in 2**4 didnt they?
yeah i really thought it was the only good thing about the game, you could have two attempts at challenging the lineout as well

Yeah the lineouts are really poor.

I also think that if you contest a lineout ball but the opposition get it the the ball won't be as clean.

Or if you don't challenge the ball your defensive line will be better set.

Also switching to another player on defence is terrible - it hardly ever gives you the right player and by the time you finally get him it is too late to stop the attack.

If I may thrust my appendage in here, I found 2004 to have a few good elements surrounded by a steaming pile of gaming debacle.

Originally posted by InsaneAsylum@Jul 27 2006, 10:44 PM
i love it when grant fox says "he's had a hard day so the coach is pulling him off"
Haha yeah I chuckle everytime i hear that. THe other day my missus heard it for the first time and said she now knows why I like playing the game.

That's a typical Mextedism

Something that has annoyed me from day one is the fact you don't know what injuries players have in tournaments. Apart from world league's news ticker nothiing informs you how long a player will be out for.

All the talk they made about the ingame weather was just that - talk.

The squad view should allow you to compare two players' stats.

Agree with the injuries, is really annoying say when your coming to the end of the rounds in a Super 14 and you've got an important player injured. You want to know if they be available for the semi and final but just don't know...

the rules as well, they should make sure everything works proper.

Losing the ball in the opponents ingoal is not a try!

Originally posted by QKXV+Jul 29 2006, 10:34 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-InsaneAsylum
@Jul 27 2006, 10:44 PM
Haha yeah I chuckle everytime i hear that. THe other day my missus heard it for the first time and said she now knows why I like playing the game.

That's a typical Mextedism

Something that has annoyed me from day one is the fact you don't know what injuries players have in tournaments. Apart from world league's news ticker nothiing informs you how long a player will be out for.

All the talk they made about the ingame weather was just that - talk.

The squad view should allow you to compare two players' stats. [/b]
Hav you heard the commentator say, "Kelleher whips it out" cracks me up every time, and he only says it with Byron kelleher for some reason.

Originally posted by QKXV@Jul 29 2006, 11:11 AM

Lol yep we had one where CA Iversen's fullback caught the ball about a metre behind the tryline in the in goal where I tackled him, forcing the ball, and I got a 5m scrum feed?!?

Or how about when Amy was playing Craig and she kicked it out with ball stopping just over sideline, where one of her players grabbed ball and set up for a quick throw, only to let animations kick in and Craig's got the lineout throw?!?

I play as the Gunners most of the time, and I go mad when I constantly here 'Mike Blair, great pass'. EVERY BLOODY RUCK! ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!

Originally posted by dobrien7+Jul 29 2006, 01:01 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-QKXV
@Jul 29 2006, 11:11 AM

Lol yep we had one where CA Iversen's fullback caught the ball about a metre behind the tryline in the in goal where I tackled him, forcing the ball, and I got a 5m scrum feed?!?

Or how about when Amy was playing Craig and she kicked it out with ball stopping just over sideline, where one of her players grabbed ball and set up for a quick throw, only to let animations kick in and Craig's got the lineout throw?!? [/b]
I recently played a game againts Crusaders, Carter's got a massive boot. He kicked the ball for the corner , it hit the corner flag bounced into the goal area and some f*cker pounced on the ball. try crusaders. NOt on.

So it seems they have different comments for certain people. Like I often hear when playing against leicerster : Stolen by Laurence Dallaglio!

I'll lsiten out for the Kelliher one. funny

Latest posts