Votes: 91 91.9%

• Total voters

lionmaull

Academy Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Sharks
I was wondering how many enjoyed rugby 2008, because I was under the impression most people did enjoy that game. I surely played the hell out of the game. It did have its flaws, but I like soccer, I like american football, I like hockey , yet I kept coming back to play Rugby 2008.
Moderaters, I am trying to see why there is so much negativity tours RWC 2011, without any one playing it, and with the few that have praising it ??
Cheers and Salud

Last edited:
When I first got it on PS2 I hated it. Felt ripped off by the lack of updated squads and kits. Bought it for the PC a year later and got the MUP mods just when we had figured out how to run teams with real players in WL. That occupied me but really it only kept me going because it was the only rugby game out there. There was very little incentive to play it when you were running in numerous tries and tries with ease. The best feature though was the Challenge Mode getting platinum for everything was ridiculously hard and I could never finish the last one to score a DG with Gregan. For what it was the vanilla game was about 5/6 out of 10. It took a lot of hard work on the part of members to bring the game up to accurate standings with teams, kits and squads which brought the game up to about 7/10. But that was 3 years ago. The gaming world I think has moved on.

Loved it but grew tired of it when I was able to smash a side like the All Blacks by 100 points on hard. Havn't really bothered to go back.

I hate it but im addicted to it, if you know what i mean. Theres no other rugby games. If RWC 11 is really similar to 08 i wont be buying it and instead handing over my money to Sidhe.

Loved the game when I got it and still enjoy it. It had many flaws, especially when I would stop myself from exploiting the AI in certain ways, just to make the game seem more realistic/difficult, that would mean no zig-zag running, running around the whole defense with the likes of O'Driscoll, not jumping at the front of the lineout on an oppostion throw, not using certain set pieces etc. :D
I will be pretty happy if they have done a good job of fixing these things, therefore making it that bit more realistic. That, coupled with a fun and well executed rucking mechanism will be significant improvement in my eyes. The demo will be very interesting indeed.

lol thats exactly what i did. i would also sometimes let them run through my defence and see if they would score...most of the time the AI was too stupid

We all love the game of rugby. Rugby 08 has been the only rugby videogame around for 4 years. No doubt we enjoyed it! I had lots of fun playing it. But let's face a couple of things: some of the stats shipped with the game were ridicolously wrong (just to quote one, Kankowsky I think it was who had like 89 in speed and like 7 in rucking: how could you play with him in the back row?). If it wasn't for the modders community the game would have become boring after a little while for a lot of gamers who had had quite enough of the same animations from 2005 on.

I'll tell you what. I were starving for the game in 2007 and bought it immediately without even watching the packaging. I must admit that I was fairly disappointed: no new set-pieces, no new rucks (a part from a few tweaks), no new animations, stats horrendously wrong, heaps of bugs and senseless rules, worst possible AI with no chance to concede a try unless you actually took defending players out of the AI's way (and still VERY difficult for them to score). Same game from 2005 and 2006. But well, alright, you had the World Cup in there (though the Lions tour mode of 2006 were demoted), things such as enheanced defence that put big hits inside the 22m ecc, and the passion was so high that I could forgive them, and actually defended the game with a couple of friends that sustained the obvious: same as 2005-2006 games.

Now it has been four years and what do we get? No new set-pieces (or at least I haven't heard nor seen them), no new animations, a few bugs will probably still be there (trailer 0:34 during the 2° tackle busted the ball carrier holds the ball with a swinging hand, I've always thought it should have been held with the other hand, close to the body - uncorrected; 0:38 the player is tackled 2cm short of the line and doesn't stretch to score - uncorrected; then the headless chickens -as somebody's called them- running in aimless bouches - uncorrected; and god knows how many other, because if they haven't corrected these so glaring ones, at the point that they have happily showed them in the new trailer, I guess the rest will still be there), not to mention less licenses, less mods etc. Well, that's just about enough, I think.

I am not saying that the game won't be enjoyable and fun; I am saying that I feel like my passion, my faith and my support has been betrayed. And I must add: ONCE MORE.

I won't say anything about RC, because I feel sorry for HB. I can understand all the budget issues and things. I really feel sorry for them because I supported them and bought all their rugby games, but as I said: that's enough for me.

Clearly, for new players that haven't played Rugby 2005, 2006, 2008, this will be a good game; but I have been looking at the same animations and bugs for too many years, now.

Last thing, and I know it may sound mean, but as far as graphic is concerned Rugby08+mods shall be even better than RWC2011: more game modes, the faces looked quite amazing (haven't seen clear faces screenshots for RWC2011, though), kits looked sharp etc. And as far as I know, modders won't work on RWC2011 because it is not on PC, but I may be wrong here.

Anyway, this is just the blowoff of a disappointed ex-supporter.

Really sorry.

Last edited:
LOL, I stil enjoy Rugby 06!!! I can't play 08 as i don't have a Playstation... But 06 plays on 360. It's crazy that a game that is now over 5 years old is still close to my most played game :)

08 removed random world cup pools. The new goaline defence looked cool, but in reality it prevented the AI from scoring, ever. The only
chance they had was when they got close to the line and an animation would take them over for free, thats largley gone on 08.

I prefer 06.

This thread misses the point. 08 came out so long ago on a previous gen of consoles. Games have largely improved since then from sports games to action games. Everyone
hopes that with new technology that vast improvements have been made as after playing it so many times they know every single flaw.

Everyone really does want the rugby equivalent of fifa and 08 sure as hell aint that

Everyone really does want the rugby equivalent of fifa and 08 sure as hell aint that

Absolutely agree! Rugby 08 was fantastic 4 years ago but with gaming demands these days and realism being paramount in the sports gaming industry, systems similar or the same as R08 will certainly fail to quench the thirst of those who have been hoping for a next gen rugby union simulation. And Yes people, Fifa 11 is very similar to Fifa 10 but you have to remember that with R08, the technology has aged over the 4 years and Fifa only 1 year(sometimes even less) So the use of the same animations and mechanics only shows the lack of budget that HB Studios had which is unfortunate - This should surely result in a price decrease IMO. But the lack of sales will cause that anyways.

Absolutely agree! Rugby 08 was fantastic 4 years ago but with gaming demands these days and realism being paramount in the sports gaming industry, systems similar or the same as R08 will certainly fail to quench the thirst of those who have been hoping for a next gen rugby union simulation. And Yes people, Fifa 11 is very similar to Fifa 10 but you have to remember that with R08, the technology has aged over the 4 years and Fifa only 1 year(sometimes even less) So the use of the same animations and mechanics only shows the lack of budget that HB Studios had which is unfortunate - This should surely result in a price decrease IMO. But the lack of sales will cause that anyways.

We have no way of knowing if there will be a lack of sales yet. It is the offical game of the RWC, so people will buy it. Not to mention that nobody has played the game yet, so we wont know how good it is until the demo is out.

Well twice a month myself & 2 mates still get together & play for around 6 hours hating & SHOUTING at eachother, then friends again once turned off 08, god help us on 2011, Imagine an Aussie, a New zealander & Southafrican in one room for that amount of time.

i played it alot because it is the most recent rugby game but i don't realy enjoy playing it but im still addicted because i love rugby.

Latest posts