How to save Currie Cup ? Argentinian idea

Felipe

Academy Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
Hi to everyone

First of all, excuse my horrible English (I am argentinian)
I introduce myself : I support the pumas but boks are is my second team

If feel really desapointed noticing year after year decreasing attendances to Currie Cup matches (such an older and prestigious competition)

My conclusion :
- Currie Cup faces severe competition not only from Super Rugby, PRO14 but also from TOP14 and premiership.
- Currie Cup calendar should be shortened
- Participation in Currie Cup should be earned
- Currie Cup should became the final instance of other compétitions (Challenge Cup, PRO14, Super Rugby)

My proposal :
- Only 4 teams integrates Currie Cup based on their previous performance.
- Best 2 South african teams from Super Rugby integrates semi finals
- Best South african team from PRO14 (Cheetahs or Kings) integrates semi final
- Best ranked team from the Challenge Cup (with the exception of the 3 teams allready qualified)

Hi to everyone

First of all, excuse my horrible English (I am argentinian)
I introduce myself : I support the pumas but boks are is my second team

If feel really desapointed noticing year after year decreasing attendances to Currie Cup matches (such an older and prestigious competition)

My conclusion :
- Currie Cup faces severe competition not only from Super Rugby, PRO14 but also from TOP14 and premiership.
- Currie Cup calendar should be shortened
- Participation in Currie Cup should be earned
- Currie Cup should became the final instance of other compétitions (Challenge Cup, PRO14, Super Rugby)

My proposal :
- Only 4 teams integrates Currie Cup based on their previous performance.
- Best 2 South african teams from Super Rugby integrates semi finals
- Best South african team from PRO14 (Cheetahs or Kings) integrates semi final
- Best ranked team from the Challenge Cup (with the exception of the 3 teams allready qualified)

huh??

Currie Cup is South Africa's domestic tournament. Where we have a premier and first division with local teams. These teams consist of the rugby unions in SA. And Super Rugby and the Challenge Cup doesn't apply here.

Perhaps do the research first before posting.

(my previous post has probably be erased)

Hi HRF,

I am not sure that you paid enough attention to my post.

Of course I know the scope of all the tournaments I mentioned. I can distinguish SA tournaments (Currie Cup, Challenge former Vodacom Cup) from international tournaments (Super Rugby, PRO14).

What I meant was that Currie Cup should became A SORT OF final instance for SA Teams that compete in Super Rugby, PRO14 or Challenge.

The problem is that Currie Cup :

• is not anymore the center of activity and interest for most of SA teams (Big 6 priories Super Rugby or PRO14)

• represent an activity overload for players

• springboks desert the competition due to overlapping with tests
Thus, Currie Cup should be drastically shortened, reduced with high standards of qualification criterion based on annual performance (ranking in Super Rugby, PRO14 or Challenge).

At the end Currie Cup is reduced to 3 matches : 2 semifinals + 1 final

I would place the 2 semifinals in October and final after November tests to enable springboks participation.

Multiple advantages for that :

• extra motivation for SA teams with little chances in Super Rugby. The second place in South Africa conference becomes an extra motivation (it guarantees access to Currie Cup semifinals)

• extra motivation for SA teams in PRO14, the best ranked (Cheetahs or Kings) access to Currie Cup semifinal

• SA teams with bad performance in Super Rugby get a second chance through Challenge Cup to access Currie Cup. Thus Challenge Cup gain extra interest.
CURRIE CUP BECOMES CERTIFICATION FOR REAL BEST SA TEAM OF THE YEAR

Jaguares-XV-Logo-660x330.jpg

CURRIE CUP First Division

Fixture

July 5/6
Valke v SWD Eagles
Leopards v Multisure EP Elephants
Down Touch Griffons v Jaguares XV
Boland Cavaliers v Border Bulldogs

July 12/13
SWD Eagles v Leopards
Jaguares XV v Boland Cavaliers
Multisure EP Elephants v Down Touch Griffons
Border Bulldogs v Valke

July 19/20
Leopards v Valke
Down Touch Griffons v SWD Eagles
Boland Cavaliers v Multisure EP Elephants
Border Bulldogs v Jaguares XV

July 26/27
SWD Eagles v Boland Cavaliers
Valke v Down Touch Griffons
Leopards v Border Bulldogs
Multisure EP Elephants v Jaguares XV

August 2/3
Down Touch Griffons v Leopards
Boland Cavaliers v Valke
Jaguares XV v SWD Eagles
Border Bulldogs v Multisure EP Elephants

August 9/10
SWD Eagles v Multisure EP Elephants
Valke v Jaguares XV
Leopards v Boland Cavaliers
Down Touch Griffons v Border Bulldogs

August 16/17
Boland Cavaliers v Down Touch Griffons
Jaguares XV v Leopards
Multisure EP Elephants v Valke
Border Bulldogs v SWD Eagles

August 23/24
Semifinal

Friday, August 30
Final

Maybe the current side of Argentina XV could be almost the same of the team of Jaguares XV. The Head Coach will be the same: Ignacio Fernandez Lobbe.
All of the home games for the Jaguares XV are to take place in Potchefstroom, the same location used by the Pampas XV in the Vodacom Cup.

Jaguares-XV-Logo-660x330.jpg

All of the home games for the Jaguares XV are to take place in Potchefstroom, the same location used by the Pampas XV in the Vodacom Cup.
This is so cool, ihope they play their home games at the North West university rugby stadium instead of the home ground of the Leopards, the University grounds will be able to provide them with a high-performance centre.

Latest posts