• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How would reducing the length of field of play from 100m to 93m affect Rugby?

And I have other ideas about scoring, and conversion.
In comparison with RL, there are too many PGs in RU. So I think that the value of Conversion should be increased, and the value of PG should be decreased.
And one of the interesting point of American Football is there are 2 types of "try for point" after touchdown (1-point kick or 2-point pass/run). So there should be Conversions with different values.

Like this--2 points from 5m line, 3 points from 22m line, 4 points from halfway-line. Do you think that this is a very strange idea?

I like the NFL but THIS IS RUGBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUGBY UNION RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dance4:

I like the NFL but THIS IS RUGBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUGBY UNION RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dance4:

Conversions must be kicked from 5m (from try-line), 22m (from try-line) or halfway line. In the case of try was between touch-line and 5m (from touch-line) line, conversions can be kicked from 5m (from touch-line) line. And approach run must be from within field-of-play.

I don't see how adding prescribed kicking locations makes the game any more thrilling. Changing points worths to increase try scoring, yes. Having to kick from a line, no.

Sigesige makes an awful lot of good points and provides an array of suggestions for the much needed improvement of the game, but what you will find sigesige is Rugby is generally a backward conservative thinking sport run by quote; "grey men in grey suits". With the bulking up of players and reduced space as a result, my suggestion would be to widen the field (where possible). Sevens is far more exciting now. Pretty soon Sevens will have the largest audience of any form of Rugby.

Cricket (the most boring genteel game on the planet) is far more innovative with its push to make the game less tedious with the wam bam twenty twenty (if that sport is to survive twenty twenty is the future).

Sigesige makes an awful lot of good points and provides an array of suggestions for the much needed improvement of the game, but what you will find sigesige is Rugby is generally a backward conservative thinking sport run by quote; "grey men in grey suits". With the bulking up of players and reduced space as a result, my suggestion would be to widen the field (where possible). Sevens is far more exciting now. Pretty soon Sevens will have the largest audience of any form of Rugby.

Cricket (the most boring genteel game on the planet) is far more innovative with its push to make the game less tedious with the wam bam twenty twenty (if that sport is to survive twenty twenty is the future).

I have another point. That is reduction of the number of the on-pitch players from 15 to 13 by abolishing FLs. By this reduction, the field-of-play will be larger for players, because 100m*70m/15 is 467 and 93m*68m/13 is 486.

I've been hearing this for the past 15 years and have found utterly no evidence that it will come to pass.

Agreed, 7's is utterly boring compared to 15's.

Until you get to the knockout staged I struggle to watch the game... And most people see it for what it is.

Great for small nations but will never overhaul 15's in the bigger nations.

Sevens is far more exciting now. Pretty soon Sevens will have the largest audience of any form of Rugby.Cricket (the most boring genteel game on the planet) is far more innovative with its push to make the game less tedious with the wam bam twenty twenty (if that sport is to survive twenty twenty is the future).

Dumbing down is rife everywhere why not rugby? Absolute rubbish............

I had not mentioned another point before; but I have another point. I suggest reduction of the number of on-pitch players from 15 to 13 by abolishing FLs.

......already exists it is called Rugby league and Union has already gone too close to that!

Last edited:

Apart from the general consesus among cricket fans and players that 4 and 5 day cricket is cricket and needs to be the premier form of the game. Same with rugby, you wont be able to convince the vast majority that 7's is the future of the game.

I have another point. That is reduction of the number of the on-pitch players from 15 to 13 by abolishing FLs. By this reduction, the field-of-play will be larger for players, because 100m*70m/15 is 467 and 93m*68m/13 is 486.

Agree it's either increase width or reduce the number of players to 13. The one problem is though the scrum is pretty much stuck at 8. Its an area I would be targeting as I'd like to reduce the number of non athletic players, but I don't see how it can be done.

I've been hearing this for the past 15 years and have found utterly no evidence that it will come to pass.

Apologies I thought this being a Rugby forum everyone would have known. About 4 years ago Rugby sevens became an Olympic sport and will make its debut in the 2016 Olympics. This will be the first time that a global audience will see Rugby.

Apart from the general consesus among cricket fans and players that 4 and 5 day cricket is cricket and needs to be the premier form of the game. Same with rugby, you wont be able to convince the vast majority that 7's is the future of the game.

With both cricket and rugby being English public school games and exported to the colonies via governors, they are both very traditional and run by conservative folk. However due to dwindling crowds in cricket they have been forced to come up with new ideas and twenty twenty is it. The traditionalists (old farts in members section) wont like it but if the sport is to survive this is it. Test cricket in India is dead. In the Carribbean it's long been finished. Even in England it only exists every four years.

I guess you can call me an old fart then, I refuse to believe that T20 is the future of cricket. Anyway, this is off topic so if you want to carry on discussing this specific aspect go to the cricket subforum.

Oh great sigesige has a new sidekick. Sige & Simon, coming soon to ruin a sport new you.

:rolleyes:

Latest posts