• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hurling (Irish sport)

fantastic game to watch (dont fancy playing it much though) however as a scot i prefer the name "shinty"

that reminds me, when is the annual international? (and is it this year its back at croke park?)

fantastic game to watch (dont fancy playing it much though) however as a scot i prefer the name "shinty"[/b]

Ah you'd love it. Its a brilliant game to play.

Shintys a different sport you know ? I know it derives from Hurling or from what i read before shinty was a form of "winter" hurling but they are very very different games today.

that reminds me, when is the annual international? (and is it this year its back at croke park?) [/b]

Don't know mate. Not before the end of Sept anyways.

diferent sport, but similar.

In scotland, shinty is as close as you get! (hell of a lot closer than many countries)

Well I consider my English and I have to amit I love the sport. The skill involved and speed is brilliant.

But then I might be biased being half-irish. Plus many of my older family played it. My grandad, in particular, was very good representing Munster at one stage. He also played against a "very sporting" Jack Lynch (a future Taoiseach) on numerous occasions. Sadly being in England isn't condusive to playing the sport let alone being afforded the opportunities he was.

Well I consider my English and I have to amit I love the sport. The skill involved and speed is brilliant.

But then I might be biased being half-irish. Plus many of my older family played it. My grandad, in particular, was very good representing Munster at one stage. He also played against a "very sporting" Jack Lynch (a future Taoiseach) on numerous occasions. Sadly being in England isn't condusive to playing the sport let alone being afforded the opportunities he was.
[/b]

Your granda musta played for Tipperary ?

HURL.gif

hurling?

THE original sport ... apart from hunting Englishmen.

[/b]

Haha!
that appeals to my sense of humour!

The great Irish Hero, Cúchulainn, even played hurling.

fantastic game to watch (dont fancy playing it much though) however as a scot i prefer the name "shinty"

that reminds me, when is the annual international? (and is it this year its back at croke park?)
[/b]

Normally it's on around the end of October to coincide with the international rules series of Football, as this is not going ahead they probably will push it closer to start of October.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Normally it's on around the end of October to coincide with the international rules series of Football, as this is not going ahead they probably will push it closer to start of October. [/b][/quote]

if anything it'll be played in November as the clubs won't be too happy losing their players and the GAA are likely to accomodate them.

I'l need to look into it - its one of 2 games shown live in Scotland (the other being the Scottish Cup final - normally a wet saturday afternoon in October when no-other sports are being played)

i watched this sport the other day and thought it was great - end to end action with hardly a break

i watched this sport the other day and thought it was great - end to end action with hardly a break [/b]

I know this is a rugby forum and we're all rugby lovers but nothing compares to hurling in my mind. Its simply the best game in the world.

I played Hurley for a year when I lived in Ireland. Don't know why I stopped.

i play. full back for the wicklow u-16s. centre back for bray we have our championship semi final next week

i tried it once but sucked badly
great game to watch (a bit crazy to be a goalkeeper at hurling)

Looks interesting and a bit dangerous.

are there two different scores? one for the posts and another for the goal?

I played Hurley for a year when I lived in Ireland. Don't know why I stopped. [/b]
Cause you stopped living in Ireland and they dont play it anywhere else?

One for the posts and another for the goal? [/b]
Yep one point for knocking it over the bar, a goal (or three points) for hitting the back of the net.

Hurling's great. No other sport allows you to openly brandish a weapon, and if you happen to swing it at someones head the ref may give you a "tick" in the book.

I also love the way when you get a yellow card, you only get another tick for your next foul before getting a red card, brilliant stuff and only in GAA can a team who have had a man sent off then go back to their full complement when the game goes into extra time. Genius.

Latest posts