• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I need some crazy/ fun/ insane World Cup quick facts

In the 1999 World Cup Australia conceded only 1 try in the whole tournament. Who scored that try? you ask, it was the USA in Thomond Park.

The myth regarding William Webb Ellis creating rugby is FACTually wrong.....it never happened, although, the myth originates from Rugby school but like all fairy tales it never happened.

The truth where our beloved game of rugby came from is more compelling than fiction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Webb_Ellis

The myth regarding William Webb Ellis creating rugby is FACTually wrong.....it never happened, although, the myth originates from Rugby school but like all fairy tales it never happened.

The truth where our beloved game of rugby came from is more compelling than fiction.

this may be true or untrue, but the French have a claim to inventing the game of rugby a game called Soule which used an inflated pigs stomach as a ball dating back to 1174/77 in the Thomas Beckett era, apparently when the ball was punctured they sold it to the Scots so they could make Haggis!!!! The game was often played in a mare (bog) and was apparently very violent probably decendends of one or two French front row i know of later years, but there you go, true or untrue who knows but interesting all the same.

It always seemed highly unlikley to me. I mean, you're palying a game and suddenly one of the participants decides to change the rules and essentially commits a foul. Do you a) congratulate him on inventing a new code or b) kick him square in the pants and throw him out of the game?

Webb never saw the oval ball let alone picked one up and least of all ran with one.

Folk lore is just that.

As much as it pains me to say it.....yes, I think the French invented the game of 'running football'

Why is a try called a try?

Originally, there were no points for touching the ball down over the line - that just earned your team a 'try' at kicking the ball between the posts to score (what is now the conversion).

This is described in the book Tom Brown's Schooldays, which was set at the Rugby School

Webb never saw the oval ball let alone picked one up and least of all ran with one.

Folk lore is just that.

As much as it pains me to say it.....yes, I think the French invented the game of 'running football'

Well, the French didn't really invent rubgy...games like the ones in France also have been played in some Celtic countries, as well as eastern European countries like Georgia, for centuries.

Before 1860 (from memory), there were no official 'rules' for either soccer or rugby. So there were a great number of variations. Rugby (school) rules was a popular variation. It came down to a famous meeting to establish official rules, that seperated rugby and soccer.

Folk lore is just that.

*sarcastic font* I thought you were going to tell me New Zealand invented Rugby :)

Ireland are in the world cup.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. And the actual RWC hasn't even started.

Fun times ahead.

Fun times ahead. Comic Sans- Does that work?

Sarcastica my friend.

[video]https://youtu.be/H-WU0pV2AXE?t=1m52s[/video]

It always seemed highly unlikley to me. I mean, you're palying a game and suddenly one of the participants decides to change the rules and essentially commits a foul. Do you a) congratulate him on inventing a new code or b) kick him square in the pants and throw him out of the game?

You have to keep in mind that the rules of football in those days varied from school to school. At one end of the scale you had schools playing a game that was not too dissimilar to "soccer", and at the other end you had a game that was more akin to "scrag" or "force-back". Sometimes the rules could change on an almost daily basis. By 1841, at Rugby School, running with the ball was officially allowed, although it was likely to get you hurt by players who took exception and considered it "sharp practice". There were conditions however. A player could only run with the ball if

a) the ball was caught on the bound, i.e. after it bounced,
b) the catcher was not "off his own side", i.e. offside
c) that the catcher did not pass the ball but ran on himself

The rules weren't really set down until the middle of the 19th century. What we now know as "Rugby Union" can really be traced to three things that happened over a period of about 25 years

1. The first set of rules
Handwritten in 1845 by W.D. Arnold, W.W. Shirley and F. Hutchins; three senior pupils at Rugby School. On 25 August 1845 they were instructed to "codify the game of Football" and three days later they submitted 37 Rules which were subsequently passed, and a Rule Book was printed.

00022685_medium.jpeg

2. The decision in 1863 by Blackheath FC to leave the Football Association.
The matter of "hacking" had come to a head; the Football Association wanted it made illegal, but Blackheath wanted to retain it and when they got outvoted, they left. Many of the clubs that existed at that time still to this day keep FC (for Football Club) as a part of their name rather than the more commonly used RFC, e.g. Saracens FC, Harlequin FC. This is so even in New Zealand, e.g. Poneke Football Club, one of the older rugby clubs in NZ, established in 1883

3. The formation of the Rugby Football Union in 1871
They refined the Laws, becoming the first to bear at least a passing resemblance to what we call the Laws of the Game today.

1871-1.png
1871-2.png
1871-3.png

The game was at that time known just as "Rugby Football" until "the Great Schism of 1895", which was essentially an argument about professionalism. It resulted in the creation of Rugby League as a seperate football code.

someone has always got to spoil it The Rugby school, The pigskin, etc it's romance at its very best then along comes some referee stating facts figures and the rest, its no wonder refs are abused and disliked throughout the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

someone has always got to spoil it The Rugby school, The pigskin, etc it's romance at its very best then along comes some referee stating facts figures and the rest, its no wonder refs are abused and disliked throughout the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The world is clearly in dire need of less facts, and more Frenchmen nonsense.

Off the top of my head?

France have won as many Rugby World Cup Finals as Botswana.

... and Mauritius/Swaziland/Lesotho.

Basically, France has won as many World Cups as every rugby Playing nation other than South Africa/Australia/NZ/England.

Also, there is a town in South Africa called Parys. Which is the Afrikaans translation of Paris.

whatever!!!!!!!!! be more precise next time Frenchmen could be anyone!!!!!!!! you know all about sticks and stones no doubt !!!!! all in all fairly pathetic.!!!!!!!!!!
but what else would we be expecting!!!!!!!!!!!!

whatever!!!!!!!!! be more precise next time Frenchmen could be anyone!!!!!!!! you know all about sticks and stones no doubt !!!!! all in all fairly pathetic.!!!!!!!!!!
but what else would we be expecting!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do know, you are not the only Frenchman on this forum???

Latest posts