• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I was prompted to make a topic to introduce myself at The Clubhouse Bar

Yankee_Doodle

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
On account of being a new member. And on account of being an obedient American I am hereby obliging.

I've signed up because it is damned near impossible to follow rugby with American friends. I have a few that will entertain me, and I go to see our local matches but truth be told the game doesn't even look the same played in our neighborhood park here.

Welcome to The Rugby Forum.

Where abouts in the States are you? I know a few guys who've played rugby out there (I'm currently out in the States myself) but few and far between they are!

I'm near the heart of the rust belt in Ohio. Don't get me wrong, the local boys put on a good show and all, but there is just something missing from the fan aspect because it is so hard to casually come across information and tidbits about rugby. I have to actively seek out everything, whereas I can't help but know when the World Series (baseball) and SuperBowl will be on and who is playing.

I prefer Rugby Union and the 15 man game as a spectator, but I am hoping that the 7's game will open up more people to the sport here in the States.

Ah right. See what you mean.

Any hopes that the proposed pro league will make things better?

On account of being a new member. And on account of being an obedient American I am hereby obliging.

I've signed up because it is damned near impossible to follow rugby with American friends. I have a few that will entertain me, and I go to see our local matches but truth be told the game doesn't even look the same played in our neighborhood park here.

Welcome !!
I hope you can keep us up to date with the Pro League over there, having more / better sources.
I'm quite interested but I think the league's information policy is just awful.

I was also prompted to start a new thread to introduce myself but being a fiery, rebellious Celt I said damn your rules! So I'm hijacking your thread. So cool and edgy.

Carmarthen born Welsh exile living in sunny Leicester, surrounded by smug Tigers fans. Long suffering Scarlets fan, ridiculed routinely every time we get hammered in Europe.

Generally get my own back whenever we humiliate the English in internationals, mind, dumping them out of their own world cup group stages was fun. ;)

Also an adopted Chiefs fan hoping to get out to Hamilton next year to catch a few games. Huge obsession with Super Rugby that none of my friends really share which is my main reason for coming to join up here.

I was also prompted to start a new thread to introduce myself but being a fiery, rebellious Celt I said damn your rules! So I'm hijacking your thread. So cool and edgy.

Carmarthen born Welsh exile living in sunny Leicester, surrounded by smug Tigers fans. Long suffering Scarlets fan, ridiculed routinely every time we get hammered in Europe.

Generally get my own back whenever we humiliate the English in internationals, mind, dumping them out of their own world cup group stages was fun. ;)

Also an adopted Chiefs fan hoping to get out to Hamilton next year to catch a few games. Huge obsession with Super Rugby that none of my friends really share which is my main reason for coming to join up here.

Liar liar.

No such thing as smug Tigers fans.

I'm near the heart of the rust belt in Ohio. Don't get me wrong, the local boys put on a good show and all, but there is just something missing from the fan aspect because it is so hard to casually come across information and tidbits about rugby. I have to actively seek out everything, whereas I can't help but know when the World Series (baseball) and SuperBowl will be on and who is playing.

I prefer Rugby Union and the 15 man game as a spectator, but I am hoping that the 7's game will open up more people to the sport here in the States.

If you're near Cleveland, check out the Cleveland Rovers. They're a high level D2 team.

If you're near Cincinnati, check out the Cincinnati Wolfhounds. They're a D1 team.

Both play quality rugby.

Finnegan - what catches your attention in Super Rugby? I'd like to see some of the UK and French club games as I get sick of crappy games in empty stadiums between teams like the Force and the Lions (okay, okay, they can both be quite good at times, especially the Lions last season), but I do enjoy the big matchups, especially the New Zealand ones.

Anyway, good luck getting to NZ. I hope you do get to see some games. I remember going to some in Christchurch with an English friend and he was stunned at playing $20 to see about 14 All Black's playing.

Bee, I'm not too optimistic about the PRO Rugby organization at this point. From what I know they are supposed to start playing this year but they only have two confirmed locations and they haven't released any information about players or coaches. I could conceive it working, though. We have University play across the country along with multiple divisions of play, so we do have players and something of a fan base even if it is modest. But to pay for the venues, travel, and salaries? That seems a bit of a long shot.

Thanks lhprop. I haven't had a chance to see Cleveland. I saw a Cincinnatti team play but I'm not sure that it was the same D1 Wolfhounds because they got absolutely crushed by the Dayton team they played. That game was so brutal the Cincy boys were throwing up trying to keep pace. They didn't seem to have anybody in reserve, either. I've also seen a Columbus team play, and I know the Buckeyes field a team but I've missed out on them so far as well. I find its really hard to find team and schedule information online.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I'd also like to mention that I follow the Premiership a bit since they have good full-length replays available right on the website. For as little as it matters, I decided to root for Gloucester based on the simple fact that I've been there and had a wonderful time.

Latest posts