Identify this photo?

smartcooky

Referee Coach and Advisor
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Tasman
I found this 35mm colour slide in a box of old slides that belonged to my Dad.

Slide.jpg

The man on the left is either Colin Meads, or his brother Stan.. more likely Colin though.

I am 90% sure the man on the right is Kel Tremain. I have no idea where the photo was taken, but I have a feeling it is not in NZ.

The printed date on the cardboard mount of the Kodak slide is JUL 68.

Any one have any idea where this photo was taken?

No idea..I'm sure someone could point you in the right direction however as the White house and large stand in the backround seem quite distinctive.

Indeed the white house looks like some sort of gatehouse to a large park or something similar

Last edited:
There are a couple of clues.

I feel this is an "All Blacks" training session not a provincial one. Meads played for King Country & Tremain for Hawkes Bay. The man on the right in the faded red jersey could be Fergie McCormick, and if so, he was from Canterbury. I don't think it would be likely to see these players training together outside of an AB tour.

Looking at the Ground, its a large oval with a picket fence running around the outside, which to me says "Cricket". The only ground in NZ like this that I can think of is the Basin Reserve, and this is definitely not that, which makes me think it is not in NZ.

In 1968, the All Blacks played three home tests against France, but that was at the end of the season, July/August. Prior to that they toured Australia, and if it was taken there, it could be an Aussie Rules ground.

The AB's played at the following venues

1. Ballymore
2 .Sydney Cricket Ground
3. Sydney Sports Ground
4. North Sydney Oval
5. Newcastle Sports Ground
6. Manuka Oval, Canberra
7. Olympic Park, Melbourne
8 .Norwood Oval, Adelaide
9. Queensborough Oval, Hobart

We can eliminate the first two straight off, and the third one is right next the the SCG and the Sydney Football Stadium, so I doubt its that. Its not Olympic Park in Melbourne or North Sydney Oval

If I were a betting man, I would be putting my money on 5, 6, 8 or 9.

Not well educated on the flora of Australia but there are deciduous and coniferous tree's in the backround which would lead be to believe that its in a pretty temperate climate ..would Oz fit the bill?

Going off of images on the net Queenborough Oval is the most similar in looks, however there's no white house by the stadium (now, at least - it could of course have been torn down)
The stands appear to be closer to the pitch than in your picture (though it could be different from a different angle)

main.php

http://licoricegallery.com/home/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=28&g2_itemId=9997

T
hen again, any of the other grounds could have their stands renovated since then so it could've been one of the others

I have two posters on other forums who seem to think its Manuka Oval in Canberra

manuka.png

Slide.jpg

Just checked this on Google Earth.

Its pretty convincing. The building in the top right of the aerial view could be the same one. The roof plan is very similar; two chimneys in the right, one on the left; gable-fronted with a single second story window.

Looking at the photo, I would have guessed it would have been taken during one of (the underlined ones are my best guesses):

14/10/1967 All Blacks v British Columbia in Vancouver (Empire Stadium)
16/10/1967 All Blacks v Eastern Canada in Montreal (Montreal University Stadium)
25/10/1967 All Blacks v North of England in Manchester (White City Stadium)
28/10/1967 All Blacks v Midlands, London and Home Counties in Leicester (Welford Road)
04/11/1967 All Blacks v England in London (Twickenham)
08/11/1967 All Blacks v West Wales in Swansea (Saint Helen's Ground)
11/11/1967 All Blacks v Wales in Cardiff (Arms Park)
15/11/1967 All Blacks v South-East France in Lyon (Lyon Stade Municipal)
18/11/1967 All Blacks v France B in Toulouse (Stade Municipal)
21/11/1967 All Blacks v South-West France in Bayonne (Bayonne Stade Municipal)
25/11/1967 All Blacks v France in Paris (Colombes Stadium)
29/11/1967 All Blacks v Scottish District in Melrose (Greenyards)
02/12/1967 All Blacks v Scotland in Edinburgh (Murrayfield)
06/12/1962 All Blacks v Monmouthshire in Newport (Rodney Parade)
13/12/1962 All Blacks v East Wales in Cardiff (Arms Park)
16/12/1962 All Blacks v Barbarians in London (Twickenham)

Because the grounds have changed so much, it is difficult to compare them, but this drawing of Rodney Parade makes me believe it could well be this.

http://www.aowy95.dsl.pipex.com/Google%20Earth/Rugby%20Grounds/images/Newport%202.jpg

I showed this to the old man earlier and he reckons at a quick glance that its a ground in Oxford. However he did say he will take a better look when he comes back in from work and ill report back.

I found this 35mm colour slide in a box of old slides that belonged to my Dad.

Slide.jpg

The man on the left is either Colin Meads, or his brother Stan.. more likely Colin though.

I am 90% sure the man on the right is Kel Tremain. I have no idea where the photo was taken, but I have a feeling it is not in NZ.

The printed date on the cardboard mount of the Kodak slide is JUL 68.

Any one have any idea where this photo was taken?

I'm pretty sure it's sir Colin on the left, and not his brother Stan as I think he had Blond hair ... if the player on the right isn't Bunny Tremain, then it could be Ken Gray, just doesn't look quite right facially for me to be Tremain ... I haven't got a clue what venue it is

... Have you tried the NZ rugby museum site (http://www.rugbymuseum.co.nz) ... they seem to be quite good at identifying photos, and sometimes post them up if they can't identify them themselves

I have part of the mystery solved. A memebr on another forum posted this...

800px-PMXI_Australia_v_England_2006.jpg

Its a 2006 Cricket Match at Manuka Oval, Canberra, between the touring England team and the Australian Prime Minister's XI. Note the house in the background.

Now all that remains is, how did this slide end up in our possession? There are no other slides in the collection that appear to be from the same film.

Latest posts