• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 10 Over-hyped rugby players

I think it does impact his ability to be a radio host for me at least, when he has a laugh at Stephen Jones for being a lonely, scoially awkward old man, who is a little over aggresive in trying to get a date. When meanwhile he's put ex-girlfriends in a wheelchair, I would never listen to piece of junk like this and I can't beleive there aren't people in New Zealand who feel the same way as I do.

The OJ Simpson and Cecillon incidents both happened after their careers were over and neither has attempted(a deliberate) return to public life, nor were either of them expected to be anything more than guys who can effectively carry a sack of leather around a field, while Veitch's job involves being in the public discourse daily.

Debatable with OJ, but he is in the cells for a few years now.

Debatable with OJ, but he is in the cells for a few years now.

Yeah I'm assuming he didn't "want" to get caught with the armed robbery, still you think if you got away with something that he probably did, you would just sit at home and not make a ruffle of noise, I thought even the illegal satellite he had was pushing it.

Edit: I probably came off as a little abrasive to smartcooky in that reply, I think it's more a matter of taste and personal preference, if your willing to look past what someone has done in their private life vs. professional life than thats fine. I know plenty of people who don't give a crap what their politicians do and the like, I guess I'm just not one of those people, I find it difficult not to jump on people who I find as hypocritical.

A better example would have been former governor Elliot Spitzer who was given his own CNN show after his prostituion scandal, some people enjoyed it and tuned in, I couldn't stand the sight of the smug guy (who strengthened laws against prostitution, than basically got off scot free) and felt him telling me what should happen in the world was a little bit much.

Last edited:
I think it does impact his ability to be a radio host for me at least, when he has a laugh at Stephen Jones for being a lonely, socially awkward old man, who is a little over aggresive in trying to get a date. When meanwhile he's put ex-girlfriends in a wheelchair, I would never listen to piece of junk like this and I can't believe there aren't people in New Zealand who feel the same way as I do

I'm not taking sides here, but there is apparently a lot more to this story than has ever been released. Certainly there are a number of well respected leading NZ media personalities (and not just in the sports branch) who are privy to the whole story, and who appear to be not only 100% behind Veitch, but who also have little time for Kristin Dunne-Powell. I also find it interesting that most women's protection groups were noticeable by the absence of comment where as normally, you would expect them to be all over this like a rash.

It is noteworthy that the Police charged him with "injuring with reckless disregard", a relatively minor charge compared with the six assault charges they dropped; and you have to wonder why they did that.

I'm not taking sides here, but there is apparently a lot more to this story than has ever been released. Certainly there are a number of well respected leading NZ media personalities (and not just in the sports branch) who are privy to the whole story, and who appear to be not only 100% behind Veitch, but who also have little time for Kristin Dunne-Powell. I also find it interesting that most women's protection groups were noticeable by the absence of comment where as normally, you would expect them to be all over this like a rash.

It is noteworthy that the Police charged him with "injuring with reckless disregard", a relatively minor charge compared with the six assault charges they dropped; and you have to wonder why they did that.

Spinal fractures are pretty serious. Far different from slapping her or something (which I am in no way condoning, I find it disgusting).

Spinal fractures are pretty serious. Far different from slapping her or something (which I am in no way condoning, I find it disgusting).

Exactly. That is why I wonder how he got (and still gets) so much support from people who you would think would be the last people to do so.

Exactly. That is why I wonder how he got (and still gets) so much support from people who you would think would be the last people to do so.

These are fair points smartcooky, there are always two sides to every story, I hope I didn't come off as too abrasive and confrontational, I haven't been in a very good mood in the last couple of weeks and I think it's showing up in my posts.

No one else agree with Hernandez?

One good season with Stade Francais and Argentina and suddenly he's the second best fly half in the world, and people still talk of him in the same breath today.

I agree. He had a good boot on him, and was looking pretty good, but one needs more than a season to be a great player.
*Looks at Rhys Priestland*

He was named by Midi Olympique as the best player in the Top 14 for both the 2006/07 and 2007/08 seasons and was named best full back the season before. Thus destroying your "one season" argument.

Being near permanently injured for 2 and half straight years in what should have been the prime of his career has taken its toll and he is living off nostalgic hope that he will get back to his best one day, in the same way injuries took its toll on Wilkinson and he hasn't really been the same as the 2001-2003 player.

I disagree with this one, Michalak has always been mercurial and I think everyone generally understands that but when he's on his game he's fantastic and he had a solid season this year.

I agree. This list is about being over hyped, which is where media/fans go overboard in their appraisal players. Not a list of simply inconsistent players. Everybody knows about Michalak's inconsistencies and that it has been a problem for him throughout his career (remember England 2003?) so he is not overhyped, the general perception of him is quite accurate.

I do agree that Cipriani around 2008 was over hyped though and is possibly the most over hyped player on the list, I remember one article with the headline "Now Danny Boy stalks Dan the Man (Carter)" (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/mar/23/rugbyunion.comment), and also in 2008 when they released the Lions jersey magazine Rugby World wrote "see the jersey that Cipriani and co will wear next summer".

Cipriani? well the press down in London do love an up and coming Wasp. Must say the lad has talent (although not to the extent some people thought/still think) but is missing the top 2".

Freddy Michalak has made the author of that article look like an idiot with the resurgence of his career thus far in the season anyways.

^ yeh I was just thinkin that...
Surely I may have missed some stuff on Michalak anyways (beyond his resurgence lately) coz any time I've seen him play he's been "magical"...or at least had that crazy ability in him just waiting to blossom throughout the match.

Last edited:
^ yeh I was just thinkin that...
Surely I may have missed some stuff on Michalak anyways (beyond his resurgence lately) coz any time I've seen him play he's been "magical"...or at least had that crazy ability in him just waiting to blossom throughout the match.

Clearly didn't see him in the RWC 2003 semi final, or his average form for Toulouse when he returned there.

^ I remember he was really good during the pools (2003) but yeah I think that's the game he gets all (most) his criticism from...(2003 SF).

^ I remember he was really good during the pools (2003) but yeah I think that's the game he gets all (most) his criticism from...(2003 SF).

Don't try and say he only had one bad match.

He is a known inconsistent player, hence why he has been dropped in his France career for the likes of Yann Delaigue, David Skrela, Lionel Beauxis and François Trinh-Duc. And he was very average during his time back at Toulouse as well, which is why Guy Novès didn't pick him and then released him.

Don't try and say he only had one bad match.

He is a known inconsistent player, hence why he has been dropped in his France career for the likes of Yann Delaigue, David Skrela, Lionel Beauxis and François Trinh-Duc. And he was very average during his time back at Toulouse as well, which is why Guy Novès didn't pick him and then released him.

I would have to agree and have more than once compared him to Carlos Spencer, Greggor Townsend etc as a player who could win or lose a match equally. That being said, his form this season has been sparkling and I have certainly changed my view on him, not that that counts for anything!

There is talk that he may replace JW at 10 for Toulon on a more regular basis as JW eases into a coaching position there?

So, I would have to say he WAS a over hyped player but he is now living up to the hype.................

Latest posts