• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 10 Over-hyped rugby players

So Henson is fully deserving of all his rugby-press despite doing... what?

Didn't he invent the muppets?

No wait that was Jim and the other is one.

As for over hyped All Blacks I think Ali Williams would be the longest serving one.

Anyone read the comments under the article? Some are hilarious. Apparently Ferris would be lucky to be in the top 5 for blindsides!:roflrol:

Hmmm some of those clips were quite good. Percy getting smooshed repeatedly by Frank Bunce ended up on the cutting room floor though, obviously.
Yeah but he was played out of position as 15 was his first choice, 2nd ten and third 13. That according to his highschool coach. Mallet moved him to 15 and may I remind you he was part of that 17 winning streak team. He was the leading points scorer in the Tri Nations in 2004 and 2005 , and currently holds the record for the most points scored in a career by a Springbok rugby player, have a world cup winners medal. A bad start does not make him overrated.

Sometims people win lots of medals despite being **** at their jobs. My boss was one such, as was Percy. Big whoops, he kicked some pressure goals vrs England. Good on him, and he's clearly a better rugby player than me. Is he qualified to shine Chritian Cullen's boots? No freeking way. He could possibly stich up Mils Muliaina's shorts if he asked nicely.

Percy's won a world cup though, something which Cullen hasn't done or Muliaina for that matter (OK he was part of the squad)...

:eek:

So Andy Ellis is a better halfback than Will Genia becauase he won a world cup? Its not even an argument eh? Think about what you're saying for a second.

I'm saying that he's not overrated.

He had the ******** to kick the Boks to victory and acting as their main tactical kicker, that is a big role. Choose a different player to pick on

Apologizes for double post. Phone messed around

Last edited:
And he had smashing hair

Haha he was from SACS so you can't expect anything else.

I think Naas Botha was overrated. He played with some of the most talented backline players of his time and he chose to kick everything away.

hey, Michalak ?!
Wtf is wrong with the writer ?! "absolutely no business being anywhere a test jersey" obvious trolling.
I mean yes he is inconsistent, but that means there's definitely an "up" in the up n down curve. I haven't often seen such excellent playmaking, pinpoint accurate passing and lightning quick decision making in a player as when he's on form.
And I haven't seen anyone as clinically accurate with the long kick passes to wings.
..it's kind of his specialty.

I agree with Hook n Ashton though...a little overhyped perhaps. ;)

I wouldn't class Montgomery as overrated. He was a good fullback, not in the league of someone like Cullen (when he was in his prime), but he's certainly not overrated. Henson is an obvious choice, as in Cipriani. DC has 10 X the talent Henson does, but until he grows up and learns to tackle his career will mirror Hensons.
Other Overrated Players:
- Francois Steyn
- Quade Cooper
- Drew Mitchell
- SBW - good player, but not worth the hype
- lots of English wingers
- Jamie Roberts and a couple of giant Welsh backs. Can't remember their names. Lots of talk in the British press about how big their backline was, but they did fruck all against a pretty average Australian Side. Give me Shane Williams any day!
- I would have put Jonny Wilkinson, but his defence is phenomenal. Wish QC could tackle like him! And also his ability to kick off both feet his pretty good. So he doesn't make the list!

Last edited:
I wouldn't class Montgomery as overrated. He was a good fullback, not in the league of someone like Cullen (when he was in his prime), but he's certainly not overrated. Henson is an obvious choice, as in Cipriani. DC has 10 X the talent Henson does, but until he grows up and learns to tackle his career will mirror Hensons.
Other Overrated Players:
- Francois Steyn
- Quade Cooper
- Drew Mitchell
- SBW - good player, but not worth the hype
- lots of English wingers
- Jamie Roberts and a couple of giant Welsh backs. Can't remember their names. Lots of talk in the British press about how big their backline was, but they did fruck all against a pretty average Australian Side. Give me Shane Williams any day!
- I would have put Jonny Wilkinson, but his defence is phenomenal. Wish QC could tackle like him! And also his ability to kick off both feet his pretty good. So he doesn't make the list!

Roberts didn't tour Australia, was ruled out for the last half of the season after the 6 Nations, so bit harsh to call him overrated for matches he didn't even play in :p do see what you mean, bar North and Cuthbert the other 'giant' backs were meh, even if Jon Davies did score a lucky kick through try.

Roberts didn't tour Australia, was ruled out for the last half of the season after the 6 Nations, so bit harsh to call him overrated for matches he didn't even play in :p do see what you mean, bar North and Cuthbert the other 'giant' backs were meh, even if Jon Davies did score a lucky kick through try.

Ah OK. I do like the half back Mike Philips(?) though, he was good against us. And North gets better with each game, he's got speed and agility, as opposed to just being a big lump that tries to run over people. I do think some of the NH have a tendency to pick big guys, simply because they are big. England especially do this with wings Vanikolo, Banahan etc who were just **** for them.

Ah OK. I do like the half back Mike Philips(?) though, he was good against us. And North gets better with each game, he's got speed and agility, as opposed to just being a big lump that tries to run over people. I do think some of the NH have a tendency to pick big guys, simply because they are big. England especially do this with wings Vanikolo, Banahan etc who were just **** for them.
Problem with Phillips is, when he's good he's fantastic, but has a habit of being awful too. His service is slow and the best of times too. Still, best we've got and usually a cool head from the base of the ruck. Yeah that's why I'm a big fan of North, he's got a very good rugby brain, knows when to pass to support too and doesn't get greedy. Set up a lovely try once where everyone thought he'd try and smash his way over the line at the corner but passed inside to sent someone else under the post. Just brilliant to watch! If he stays relatively injury free he's almost certainly got a shot at breaking Shane's try record!

Yeah I initially bagged GN when he came on the scene, but he's surprised me. He would walk into the Wallabies team for sure!

Ah OK. I do like the half back Mike Philips(?)
He's only been around for the last decade, won 60 Wales caps and was the Lions scrum half for the tour of South Africa. You may have heard of him.

Latest posts