I'm losing my mind.

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Hi guys,

I'm aware that this may invite the regular jokesters but I'm suffering from this issue already for quiet some time.

At work, I do my job a ok, I respect the deadlines and keep on delivering quality. I even passed some very hard assessments.

At home however, I start forgetting things on a daily base. Things like; did I close the door, checking it, checking it again.

Preparing stuff but forgetting it on the table etc...

I'm using to do lists and putting priorities down but the small things are just a disaster :(

Any advice on how to sort this out proper?

Cheers.

We all forget things sometimes, so don't overly worry. How do you feel in yourself? Are you getting stressed with anything, or are you finding that work is too demanding? I ask because from what you are saying about being ok in work suggests that when you are concentrating, you are fine, but when you are at home your concentration is obviously switching off. We all need to switch off sometimes, but to be forgetting basic things implies that you may be getting distracted by something else?

Regarding the checking. Do you genuinely not remember things like closing the door, or is it that you simply don't trust yourself that you have? What prompts you to check, a feeling of panic or something more casual?

Last edited:
How old are you may I ask?

Usually there is no need to worry. Everybody starts to forget things at a quicker rate than they learn from the age of 18 onwards. There are three types of memory - short term memory, working memory and long term memory. Basically short term memory is anything under around two minutes, working memory is more to do with things like routine - so for example remembering and recalling series of numbers - and long term is anything over 2 minutes. Sounds like your struggling with short term memory - but it may be caused to any number of issues such as anxiety, depression or just high stress in general - in which all of these problems would likely be nothing serious.

If it's something you are concerned about in terms of worrying about things such as early onset alzheimer's - there are short term and long term memory exercises which have had relative success. If it's something you want me to inquire about I can look into it (haven't done much cognitive psychology in a while - mainly social and abnormal - but I'll inquire about it). If it's a really cause for concern it may well be worth seeing a psychologist or even your GP.

I'd walk up the stairs for something and forget what I went up for. Its no problem just a lack of concentration. Maybe you have alot on your mind? Try some meditation (the art of clearing the mind).

I wouldn't worry about it mate , you're still a spring chicken.

I've quite bad ADHD and throughout my earlier years was held back a lot by dyspraxia so I can completely relate to the forgetting of things that appear to be incredibly basic , indeed I've walked up stairs and by the time I'm up there I've forgotten what I'm up there for in the first place.

I'd reckon you just had a day where you made one or two of these mistakes in a row and became incredibly conscious of every little mistake you'd make thereafter , much like when one notices the time at a certain hour regularly ...for me when I was young I'd always notiuce the clock at 21:21 as everytime I saw it I'd be like OMG holy **** it's that time this is weird.

However you're subconsciously looking maybe 10-20 times a day but the only one that matters is the time you see the one you've a fascination with. as such every time you're forgetting something you're panicking now.

well that's my presumption at least...I may well be completely off the mark.

I'd walk up the stairs for something and forget what I went up for. Its no problem just a lack of concentration. Maybe you have alot on your mind? Try some meditation (the art of clearing the mind).

christ are you a wizard!!

Boy....we desperately need some international rugby right now...
nah just kdg. Good luck with that...we all (well, most of us actually) have our little worries...

I'd reckon you just had a day where you made one or two of these mistakes in a row and became incredibly conscious of every little mistake you'd make thereafter , much like when one notices the time at a certain hour regularly ...for me when I was young I'd always notiuce the clock at 21:21 as everytime I saw it I'd be like OMG holy **** it's that time this is weird.

However you're subconsciously looking maybe 10-20 times a day but the only one that matters is the time you see the one you've a fascination with. as such every time you're forgetting something you're panicking now.

well that's my presumption at least...I may well be completely off the mark.

Well, that's called confirmation bias in that you ignore or excuse information that doesn't support your suspicions.

I had something a bit similar last year. I went to the university doctors because I noticed that one of my pupils was dilated more than the other. I was concerned because this could mean any number of issues from brain tumors to stroke etc. Anyway before I went I'd keep asking mates "Hey is one of my pupils dilated more than the other?". Most would concede that one was a tad larger than the other, but the ones who didn't notice anything I tended to ignore.

Well, naturally one was going to be slightly larger than the other, because it's dependant on different sources of light - so if I was looking in a mirror and the window was on the left, my eye would be slightly less dilated..

First question the doctor asked me was - "have you smoked any canabis lately...".

First question the doctor asked me was - "have you smoked any canabis lately...".

me_gusta_mucho_by_megustamuchoplz-d416uqk.png

I get like that sometimes, so if you find out the answer please share it with me!

I will suggest that, at least in my case, it seems to do with having just TOO much to do. I also have ADD (attention deficit disorder). When I can focus on a task I can get so much done! Sometimes work forces me to focus on that task because there are deadlines and such. However, at home, where things are a bit more relaxed my mind tends to wander, and I get easily distracted. You do NOT know how many times I've made pop-eggs. Do you know what pop-eggs are? That's when you put on a pot of eggs to boil, forget about them, and next thing you know all the water's boiled out of the pot and the eggs are exploding all over. You can't even being to imagine how hard it is to get exploded eggs off of the ceiling.

I think it's stress, and attention problems. We have too much to do, or try to do too much, and when that happens other things suffer.

I would suggest developing a good routine at home. Write things down if necessary - it can help you stay focused and keep you on a time schedule. Reduce distractions/time wasters (tv, computer, phone calls, etc). Know your limitations and don't commit to more than you can reasonably handle (this includes making promises to friends). Find some down time, preferably quiet time, for a chance to relax and free up your mind. If you are like me in any way (an info junkie), you may be suffering from information overload. The brain can only hold so much at a time, so cutting back on the amount of information you try to absorb throughout the day may help.

I've been having similar problems and I feel that the computer doesn't help at all. It sucks up my time and aggravates my ADD. And yet, here I am. So I am trying to take my own advice, especially when it comes to how much I try to shove into my head during the day. That means limiting my computer time to specific hours of the day...like now...in the middle of the night...while watching Super Rugby...when I should be sleeping.

I need serious help. :p

das

Cheers for the heads up guys,</SPAN>
I'm only 28 and no narcotics involved. The issue I have with the door is that it's a door that closes very difficult. If I get a new bonus this year, I will buy a new front door, another issue solved.</SPAN>
I don't think it's tress related as I don't feel stressed. I do lots of sports, eat healthy, sleep enough. Feeling cheery but still the small things are easily overlooked. Luckily the impact is nearly in existing but the fact that I forget thing is annoying me. A second thing I noticed is that quiet often, whenever I need to do something I opt for the more difficult approach. The end result is the same, it just took me a wee bit more time. Anyway it's nearly weekend. Tomorrow is a busy morning, but after that fiesta.</SPAN>