• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Incompetent international refereeing

Brom

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Australia
I have just watched Saturday's internationals. I saw blatant forward passes, knock ons and offsides, and a clear obstruction leading to a try. Some of these were reviewed by TMOs but still allowed to stand. It appears to be the convention in Rugby that a small knock forward or a slight forward pass is allowable. The scrum half or his stand in, patting the ball forward at the base of the scrum or ruck before picking it up seems to be ok. Accidentally kicking the ball forward into another player and regaining it isn't really an offside. Pasing the ball forward out of the hand is allowable if it isn't too far forward - even if it results in a try in an international.
In the England try against Samoa the referee obviously had a doubt about a forward pass and asked the TMO to check. The TMO clearly also thought an obstruction may have happened and asked the ref if he wanted him to look. The ref agreed but then decided he didn't want the TMO's advice on this and stopped him giving it. The replays clearly showed the Samoan tackler obstructed by the decoy runner. TMO and the ref then reviewed the obvious forward pass and deemed it legal.
There is a whole other issue around incomprehensible refereeing decisions and scrums, rucks and mauls. How do we do away with the set, collapse, time ticks away,reset, collapse, penalty farrago that no one really understands and most spectators hate?
There is a World Cup looming and millions of new potential fans will be watching, but not for long if the rules and the refereeing aren't better than what we saw on Saturday.

oh they don't like to spoil tries in Twickenham from the home side, they happen so rarely :p Remember 2013 against your very Aussies. Clear foul (obstruction), no problem; or Tuilagi's try against us that same year, obvious offside...
Listen uhmm can't you just let them enjoy it a little bit Brom ?? Do you HAVE to be such a fkng KILLJOY ??...I hate the negativity, especially for a first post, man what an asshole...

oh they don't like to spoil tries in Twickenham from the home side, they happen so rarely :p Remember 2013 against your very Aussies. Clear foul (obstruction), no problem; or Tuilagi's try against us that same year, obvious offside...
Listen uhmm can't you just let them enjoy it a little bit Brom ?? Do you HAVE to be such a fkng KILLJOY ??...I hate the negativity, especially for a first post, man what an asshole...

Hahaha don't know if your being serious or what? But enjoyed the laugh keep up the good work.

Any way Brom get used to it looks like this level of reffing is here to stay.

As if that weren't bad enough, the ref lets teams get away with slowing the game down to a ridiculous degree. Wales on Saturday were warned for it, but nothing happens. Team huddles before lineouts? What's that about? England are good at it too. Incessant "injuries", basically saying "we can't play at this pace for 80 minutes, we need a rest." Something needs to be done. Get fit or get the **** off, is my view.

^ Yeah slowing down the game ****s me off no end, it is slow enough with scrums, we don't need other **** doing it also.

As if that weren't bad enough, the ref lets teams get away with slowing the game down to a ridiculous degree. Wales on Saturday were warned for it, but nothing happens. Team huddles before lineouts? What's that about? England are good at it too. Incessant "injuries", basically saying "we can't play at this pace for 80 minutes, we need a rest." Something needs to be done. Get fit or get the **** off, is my view.

Yeah we love keeping our players out of the team for weeks or months with fake injuries. Really there is nothing we enjoy more than seeing the last few remaining members of our 1st XV walking off because they are a bit tired and need a rest.

Seriously... I mean McCaw and NZ in general NEVER get away with regularly infringing or anything do they? You're all little rays of sunshine who follow the rules to the letter. When you lose, you don't wheel out excuses like viruses or anything.

Oh, dear God. Can't this forum go one day without a riot?

I have just watched Saturday's internationals. I saw blatant forward passes, knock ons and offsides, and a clear obstruction leading to a try. Some of these were reviewed by TMOs but still allowed to stand. It appears to be the convention in Rugby that a small knock forward or a slight forward pass is allowable. The scrum half or his stand in, patting the ball forward at the base of the scrum or ruck before picking it up seems to be ok. Accidentally kicking the ball forward into another player and regaining it isn't really an offside. Pasing the ball forward out of the hand is allowable if it isn't too far forward - even if it results in a try in an international.
In the England try against Samoa the referee obviously had a doubt about a forward pass and asked the TMO to check. The TMO clearly also thought an obstruction may have happened and asked the ref if he wanted him to look. The ref agreed but then decided he didn't want the TMO's advice on this and stopped him giving it. The replays clearly showed the Samoan tackler obstructed by the decoy runner. TMO and the ref then reviewed the obvious forward pass and deemed it legal.
There is a whole other issue around incomprehensible refereeing decisions and scrums, rucks and mauls. How do we do away with the set, collapse, time ticks away,reset, collapse, penalty farrago that no one really understands and most spectators hate?
There is a World Cup looming and millions of new potential fans will be watching, but not for long if the rules and the refereeing aren't better than what we saw on Saturday.

I have just watched Saturday's internationals. I saw blatant missed tackles, knock ons and dropped ball. I saw players with clear opportunities to score tries, which were inexplicably bombed. I saw players who seemed unable to execute the most straightforward of game plans. It appears to be the convention in Rugby that players can miss tackles and miss scoring chances, yet they are rarely held to account. There is a World Cup looming and millions of new potential fans will be watching, but not for long if the players are so bloody incompetent that they can't, through lack of skill and poor execution, do things as simple as tackling the ball carrier, holding onto the ball when its passed to them, and take glaring scoring opportunities when they are all but handed to them on a plate. Skills are going to have to get better than what we saw on Saturday.

Maybe they need to bring a time limit in when a player goes down,if it's exceeded then the player gets hooked from the field. It is a pain and the game needs to be played at pace to win new fans. It takes away the advantage of the teams that work their ass off to be fitter than the rest.

Last edited:
Maybe they need to bring a time limit in when a player goes down,if it's exceeded then the player gets hooked from the field. It is a pain and the game needs to be played at pace to win new fans. It takes away the advantage of the teams that work their ass off to be fitter than the rest.

Bring in revolving temporary minor injury substitutes RTMIS. Teams are allowed six of these per match.

1. When a player goes down injured with a minor injury, he is treated on the field, and the game carries on. No replacement is allowed and the team has to temporarily play one short.

2. If the player's treatment or injury requires the game to stop, this uses one RTMIS. He is immediately removed from the field for treatment and the substitute brought on.

3. When an RTMIS is used, the injured player has three minutes to return to the field or the substitute becomes a permanent replacement and the team has now used up one of their seven allowed replacements.

4. Once a team has used all six of its RTMIS substitutes, any injured player must be either be;

a. treated on the field and the game carries on without him
b. treated off the field and the game carries on without him, and without a substitute
c. the player is immediately permanently replaced using one of the seven allowed replacements.

Bring in revolving temporary minor injury substitutes RTMIS. Teams are allowed six of these per match.

1. When a player goes down injured with a minor injury, he is treated on the field, and the game carries on. No replacement is allowed and the team has to temporarily play one short.

2. If the player's treatment or injury requires the game to stop, this uses one RTMIS. He is immediately removed from the field for treatment and the substitute brought on.

3. When an RTMIS is used, the injured player has three minutes to return to the field or the substitute becomes a permanent replacement and the team has now used up one of their seven allowed replacements.

4. Once a team has used all six of its RTMIS substitutes, any injured player must be either be;

a. treated on the field and the game carries on without him
b. treated off the field and the game carries on without him, and without a substitute
c. the player is immediately permanently replaced using one of the seven allowed replacements.

Sounds good enough for me, did you just come up with that now? Now I understand your username

@smartcooky,

While I agree with your posts in this thread, I do have a question for you. Did you catch the SA vs. Italy game? What did you think of Garcez's performance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah we love keeping our players out of the team for weeks or months with fake injuries. Really there is nothing we enjoy more than seeing the last few remaining members of our 1st XV walking off because they are a bit tired and need a rest.

Seriously... I mean McCaw and NZ in general NEVER get away with regularly infringing or anything do they? You're all little rays of sunshine who follow the rules to the letter. When you lose, you don't wheel out excuses like viruses or anything.

Lol

There's a difference between being a menace at the breakdown (within the laws, even bending them), and pretending to be injured and having little huddles to time-waste before set pieces. I think everybody knows that England are the biggest cheats in the game so you're probably desensitized to it.

Asshole

Last edited:
Lol

There's a difference between being a menace at the breakdown (within the laws, even bending them), and pretending to be injured and having little huddles to time-waste before set pieces. I think everybody knows that England are the biggest cheats in the game so you're probably desensitized to it.

well

I think both NZ and England have found a new way to disrupt the rucks for the opposition, in that they have players that take out incoming players at the ruck when they aren't even in ruck yet. What basically happens is that they go past the ruck area, and ****le/hassle opposing players, preventing them from joining the ruck, or becoming a runner/defender, they also then serve as a obstruction and prevents the opposing players from getting to the ball carrier.

we ain't innocent, but at least we don't dick around with time wasting and being obvious cheats. yeah, you can argue about McCaw but at least hes trying to operating within the laws. Time wasting isn't bending anything, it's just negative play. The ABs fitness is probably the best in the world, we have no reason to.

@smartcooky,

While I agree with your posts in this thread, I do have a question for you. Did you catch the SA vs. Italy game? What did you think of Garcez's performance?

Only saw highlights and you don;t get much of an idea.

I haven't yet seen what I would call a good performance from Garces yet. I think he has the potential, but he is some away behind Joubert, Owens, Barnes., Poite and Jackson as yet.

Only saw highlights and you don;t get much of an idea.

I haven't yet seen what I would call a good performance from Garces yet. I think he has the potential, but he is some away behind Joubert, Owens, Barnes., Poite and Jackson as yet.

Oh okay.

and that is a fair point you make. Those refs are the better of the lot, but I think Poite gets influenced way too much by the players and the fans in the stadium and makes emotional decisions, which he shouldn't. He has a tendency to make one or two terrible calls in every game he officiates, which usually has a very big impact. The rest of his officiating is very good, but that is not what is usually discussed.

Refereeing, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder and the vast majority of supporters only have one eye! Stop complaining about them and go and become one!!!!

Oh okay.

and that is a fair point you make. Those refs are the better of the lot, but I think Poite gets influenced way too much by the players and the fans in the stadium and makes emotional decisions, which he shouldn't. He has a tendency to make one or two terrible calls in every game he officiates, which usually has a very big impact. The rest of his officiating is very good, but that is not what is usually discussed.

One of the things teams need to watch for with Poite is his scrum management. While he is one of the best at rewarding the dominant scrum, he often makes the decision about which scrum is dominant too early, and once he has decided that your scrum is under the cosh, its damned hard to convince him otherwise.

Latest posts