• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Brad Roberts and international eligibility

paddybrown

Academy Player
Club or Nation
Ulster
You may have seen that Ulster's South African hooker Bradley Roberts has been called up by Wales after Ken Owens' withdrawal. He qualifies via a Welsh granny.

In the comments on the story, one commenter says that's the end of his Ulster career, as he's no longer in line for Irish eligibility through residence (he's been playing in the All Ireland League since 2017) and he'll have to move to one of the Welsh regions.

But he's behind Ryan Elias and Kirby Myhill in the Welsh squad and might not get to play. My question is, if you're called up to an international squad but aren't selected to play, are you committed to that country or are your options still open? What if you're selected as a replacement but don't get off the bench?

You may have seen that Ulster's South African hooker Bradley Roberts has been called up by Wales after Ken Owens' withdrawal. He qualifies via a Welsh granny.

In the comments on the story, one commenter says that's the end of his Ulster career, as he's no longer in line for Irish eligibility through residence (he's been playing in the All Ireland League since 2017) and he'll have to move to one of the Welsh regions.

But he's behind Ryan Elias and Kirby Myhill in the Welsh squad and might not get to play. My question is, if you're called up to an international squad but aren't selected to play, are you committed to that country or are your options still open? What if you're selected as a replacement but don't get off the bench?
I believe he'd have to actually get on the field to be secured. So can appear on the bench and not come on and still be eligible for Ireland, although I'm sure that at that point he'd get a token couple of minutes to pin him down.

Cheers Pieter. I don't think he's a realistic prospect for Ireland - there are too many good hookers in his way - but he's a crowd favourite at Ravenhill and it'd be a shame if he had to leave so soon.