• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales going into the 6 Nations

Hallam Amos has played well enough to at least deserve a mention ... I know he's injured right now, but if I were picking Welsh wings moving forward, he'd at least be in the conversation.

Oops, knew I'd forget someone. I'd probably have Amos in the squad, pushing for a place in the starting 23. There are of course question marks surrounding his out and out pace, but he's showing that he's a well rounded player with the sort of intelligence that we've been sorely missing with North and Cuthbert out wide.

He could prove to be a better fullback than wing. It'll be interesting if/when Kingsley Jones properly tests him at the back.

Oops, knew I'd forget someone. I'd probably have Amos in the squad, pushing for a place in the starting 23. There are of course question marks surrounding his out and out pace, but he's showing that he's a well rounded player with the sort of intelligence that we've been sorely missing with North and Cuthbert out wide.

He could prove to be a better fullback than wing. It'll be interesting if/when Kingsley Jones properly tests him at the back.

Amos burst on to the scene as a skillful line running fullback with a smart kicking game. Seems to have turned into more of a gymed up hard running winger. Like to see him go back to see his natural game.

Amos burst on to the scene as a skillful line running fullback with a smart kicking game. Seems to have turned into more of a gymed up hard running winger.
Seems like many of the Welsh players have gone this way. I watched the Leicester Tigers game on the weekend and was very impressed by Owen Williams, he surely needs to be given a chance, I don't think Wales have too many ball playing centres.

Could someone change the name of this thread to "Wales moving forwards"? Sure it used to be possible to change the name of threads by editing the ***le of the first post!

Developing into a very rounded 10. Excellent kicking and distribution game, solid running game, acceptable defence. Definitely the future, and I'd argue the present.

This actually ties in nicely to what i was going to say. i was just looking to big up a few of the lads ahead of the six nations. (many of them ospreys im afraid haha)

Sam Davies (boring that we are always bring him up i know but he keeps on delivering) range of passes is phenomenal, he was certainly mixing it up alot in the connacht game this weekend and made a half break himself. we often say he could get our backline firing but even the forwards were being put into space and making easy yards. im not sure he's quite ready to steer the ship for wales yet but certainly deserves at least 20 mins per game in the six nations on current form.

Olly Cracknell has had a great run of games and was one of the many hard working forwards in the game on the weekend. be interesting to see if he gets a call up for the 6N, as we know we are going to be without lydiate. id imagine moriaty will come in at 6 where he is at his best. we could play warbs at 6 too if required but id certainly get Cracknell around the squad.

Dan Baker have found he can be a bit hot and cold but has had a good few games recently and may actually get some game time this time around as falatau may not be fully match fit for the first game.

Justin Tipuric it goes without saying really but he has taken his game to another level again, insane work rate this weekend, done all the nitty gritty that gats loves and still had time to show some fancy stuff

Jake Ball last but not least, not the complete package by any means but getting back to his best. Although Alun wyn is getting on a bit he is still incredible, we need someone to partner him that can play somewhat close to his level, i dont feel B.Davies and Charteris are the answer anymore. could maybe look to Lloyd Ashley or Rory Thornton (who wales rate apparently), although Ball already has international experience and is much more of a ball carrying threat IMO

also a quick shout out for Nicky Smith, we could have another Gethin Jenkins in development.

Justin Tipuric it goes without saying really but he has taken his game to another level again, insane work rate this weekend, done all the nitty gritty that gats loves and still had time to show some fancy stuff.

WalesOnline reporting that Tipuric is now up to 160 tackles without a miss this season! Far more than just a flashy player.

Any further news on whether Warburton will step down as captain of Wales and rule himself out of the running for BIL captaincy?

Nothing yet, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he did. He refused it towards the end of the AI's, wanting to concentrate on his own game.

He's also fully aware that he's under huge threat for his jersey. Tipuric is playing out of his skin, then you have the likes of Young pushing really hard. The strength in depth we have at 7 is bordering on the ridiculous atm!

Any further news on whether Warburton will step down as captain of Wales and rule himself out of the running for BIL captaincy?

Id take that 'news' with a massive metric f*cktonne of salt. it was the old "wales online understands sam is giving up the captancy" - with no actual quote or source provided. wouldnt suprise me if it is complete fabrication by wales online

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38583200

Looks like there is some substance to the story.

all sites are just quoting other sites, theres nothing from the player himself or anyone actually quoted. its bizzare

- - - Updated - - -

all sites are just quoting other sites, theres nothing from the player himself or anyone actually quoted. its bizzare

EDIT: ok there are quotes, but all people stating why it would make sense for him to give up the arm band, but nobody i mentioning where this has come from.

I think we have to wait until Howley announces the squad on 17 January to confirm he is standing down.

I think we have to wait until Howley announces the squad on 17 January to confirm he is standing down.

i do actually hope it is true. as that should (in theory) stop warburtons automatic selection. at the moment it should just be a question of is he good enough to play at 6 instead of moriaty or potentially young olly cracknall. Theres absolutely no way he should be playing at 7 ahead of tipuric on current form, but we know that makes little difference to Howley and Co

With Lydiate out for the season and Faletau injured, he's too good to leave out. I can see a Warburton, Tipuric, Moriaty back row starting in the 6Ns.

i think falatau is back fit only a week before the wales game, id rather moriaty fill in at 8 instead of rushing falatau back to fitness, as you said

We'll probably see a Warburton-Tipuric-Moriarty trio first up against Italy. I'd be happy enough with that, but I would ideally prefer if the management were a little more bold with their selections and try Cracknall at 6 alongside Tips and Moriarty, with Warburton on the bench.

The management will likely have King involved ahead of Cracknall (if Faletau isn't available/allowed a little more time to get up to speed that is). King is a solid enough player, but I question whether he's got enough stand-out qualities at international level? My gut feeling has always been that hes one of those players who's an excellent regional player, but will never quite cut it against the best international sides. Whilst Cracknall is another versatile player, he's more explosive, and thus is better equipped for international rugby.

Latest posts