• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Inside Centre

S

Scarlet

Hey all,
Just need a little advice on some gym work. . .

If theres anyone who could help me, it's really appreciated.
As an Inside Centre, what muscles do I mostly need to work on in the gym?

Are there any rugby fitness sites that you guys know of, seeing I'm not currently at a club?

Thanks alot,
Scarlet :)

Mostly upper body I would expect, don't forget to work on your core strength in your abdominals!

Yeah, Thanks. Thats a little vague though, I was thinking names of the muscles needed, Thanks nonetheless!

I'm sure you already realise this, but an inside centre also needs good hands and a sound ability to read the game as it develops, not just good strength.

I've always been rubbish at physical training, but I can give out skills advice for the position.

I'm sure you already realise this, but an inside centre also needs good hands and a sound ability to read the game as it develops, not just good strength.

I've always been rubbish at physical training, but I can give out skills advice for the position.
[/b]

Yeah sure! Keep that kind of stuff coming. . .

Work on upper body strenght, your arms and especially your sholders, and work on your legs, but most of all, work on your technique of passing the ball, once you have that perfected, you should be a good centre.

Get a rope ladder and get someone to start teaching you drills. Don't settle down and try to specialize for inside centre. The modern game needs you to be able to everything, your step needs to be good, your pass needs to be good, and having a decent boot can throw a lot of pressure off your fly half.

I've often found that timing is the key to being an effective back, (you probably know this already). Make sure you get that rope ladder and develop your stepping skills, it will also make you faster and more responsive meaning you can get better off the bat acceleration.

Sounds like someone is scrounging for help on writing their Physical Education coursework :D

as an inside center - depending on the way that you are played and like most rugby players plus as mentioned above work on strengthening your legs, quads, hamstrings, etc and shoulders, neck as you may find yourself being used as a battering ram and having less space than the other backs - definitely work on your skills - agility, side-step, offloading, catching don't neglect your speed while you muscle up - there are tons of sites out there just search

Sounds like someone is scrounging for help on writing their Physical Education coursework :D
[/b]

Could have been! But written Physical Education coursework doesn't exist!

Thanks for the replys, I'll definately look into what you guys have told me.

Try developing your leg muscles to give you explosive strength (like Gordon D'Arcy) because the 12 channel tends to be pretty full of bodies and it'll help you break tackles.

Try developing your leg muscles to give you explosive strength (like Gordon D'Arcy) because the 12 channel tends to be pretty full of bodies and it'll help you break tackles.
[/b]

Excellent advice there- and also for defence, as you`ll be very busy making hits in the no12 channel. Remember that most of your power in making the tackle comes from firstly timing, and secondly leg drive, much more than from pure upper body strength.

Also get out the age-old skipping rope, as it is a real proven winner in helping to get the feet going, always important to be quick on your feet in order to step past defenders, and if necessary to step just before contact, in order to get the front-foot ball going for your cleaners to run onto.

Also, try to learn reading the game, this is the most essential ingredient to playing 12 IMO, as you often have more time to see things happening on the field than the 10, since his eyes will be on the ball coming from the scrumhalf. You`ll need to be a good communicator and decision-maker, as you`ll be the main controller of the defensive line, and the 2nd most important decider of where the ball will go when in possession.

While I was still playing, I concntrated on shoulder presses, bench press and chin-ups for upper body strength, squats, straight-leg deadlifts, leg curls, leg extensions and leg presses for leg strength and explosive power, loads of sit-ups for core strength and of course the old skipping rope for quick feet. Hope this helps.

Latest posts