• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Interesting figures

Originally posted by Ripper@Jul 14 2004, 10:03 PM
If noone cares about Union in England why have been a force in Union and produced some world famous players?

Most of Leagues stars have started off in Union (Daryll Halligan, Matty Ridge..)
Who told you that no one cares for Union in England?

And I'd hardly call any England players good.

Wilkinson aside there is little world class in English RU since the retirement of Johnson after the World Cup.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC@Jul 14 2004, 10:17 PM
Wilkinson aside there is little world class in English RU since the retirement of Johnson after the World Cup.
Robinson I would say is their best player.

Robinson is a very, very good player but the Six Nations exposed some flaws in his game, and it's patently obvious how much England missed Wilkinson because they had nobody else to bore people to death with.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC@Jul 14 2004, 10:22 PM
Robinson is a very, very good player but the Six Nations exposed some flaws in his game, and it's patently obvious how much England missed Wilkinson because they had nobody else to bore people to death with.
Robinson should be placed in the centres. He'd do much damage there. In league he did well on the wing in League but it isn't often Union wingers get the ball. Union backs aren't skilled enough to even do that.

If Union players dont get the ball how does Joe Rocokoko have a record of 23 odd tries off around 15 tests?

and Robinson is a overated Jeff Wilson Wannabe Gimp

Originally posted by Ripper@Jul 14 2004, 11:06 PM
If Union players dont get the ball how does Joe Rocokoko have a record of 23 odd tries off around 15 tests?

Robinson was far better playing league, because he was fed better by the backs.

Originally posted by Ripper@Jul 15 2004, 10:06 AM
I loathe Robinson but he's a damned good player.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC+Jul 14 2004, 11:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St_Helens_RLFC @ Jul 14 2004, 11:23 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Jul 15 2004, 10:06 AM

I loathe Robinson but he's a damned good player. [/b]
Only because he always played so well against you.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jul 15 2004, 10:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jul 15 2004, 10:15 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Jul 14 2004, 11:06 PM

Robinson was far better playing league, because he was fed better by the backs. [/b]
no, you cant just face up to the fact he's **** in Union.

If League players are as superior as you have convinced yourself they are it wouldnt really matter who they are playing beside.

Look at your boyfriend, Henry Paul.

Preety Good at League, sucks harder then Caleb Ralph in Union

Originally posted by Ripper+Jul 15 2004, 01:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Jul 15 2004, 01:18 PM)</div>
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Jul 15 2004, 10:15 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Jul 14 2004, 11:06 PM

Robinson was far better playing league, because he was fed better by the backs.
no, you cant just face up to the fact he's **** in Union.

If League players are as superior as you have convinced yourself they are it wouldnt really matter who they are playing beside.

Look at your boyfriend, Henry Paul.

Preety Good at League, sucks harder then Caleb Ralph in Union [/b]
lol lets face league is just an organization to help glorified pre madonnas make a name for themselves
<

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jul 15 2004, 08:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jul 15 2004, 08:19 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Jul 14 2004, 09:14 PM
But its more popular then League, and you heard Glip, its taking off, ecspecially in the schools, and one thing League hasnt learnt is that schools are the key...

(In a Book published in 2001 it said that No Schools in Wellington, NZ's capital have Rugby League teams)
Union is fading in British schools, especially in the North. [/b]
Not from what I've heard and read. It seems to be as strong as rugby in private schools here in Australia. There aren't too many wealthy schools in England that play rugby league over rugby.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jul 15 2004, 09:26 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jul 15 2004, 09:26 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-St_Helens_RLFC
@Jul 14 2004, 10:22 PM
Union backs aren't skilled enough to even do that. [/b]
You need to get this idea out of your head that rugby union backs arn't as skilfull as rugby league backs. There are only a minority of rugby league players that do have good ball skills, Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler for example, but not everyone in league needs to have those skills. You don't need them if you're a centre or wing. All you need is to be able to take the short ball. In rugby centres generally have fantastic skills. If the play was as frequent in rugby as it is in rugby league then I'd much prefer to watch the Wallaby and All Black backlines perform then the Kangaroo and Kiwis. f***, even Wendell Sailor said there's more skill in rugby backs.

Originally posted by Wally+Jul 15 2004, 10:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jul 15 2004, 10:35 AM)</div>
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Jul 15 2004, 08:19 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
But its more popular then League, and you heard Glip, its taking off, ecspecially in the schools, and one thing League hasnt learnt is that schools are the key...

(In a Book published in 2001 it said that No Schools in Wellington, NZ's capital have Rugby League teams)

Union is fading in British schools, especially in the North.
Not from what I've heard and read. It seems to be as strong as rugby in private schools here in Australia. There aren't too many wealthy schools in England that play rugby league over rugby. [/b]
There aren't too many state schools that play Union over league/soccer. More and more schools in London playing League now, some getting to finals of national school competitions. Union teams are getting fewer in northern state schools with many schools concentrating on league rather than soccer.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Jul 15 2004, 10:31 AM
Only because he always played so well against you.
Correct but he's an arrogant sod and I hate arrogance with a passion.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jul 15 2004, 11:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jul 15 2004, 11:38 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Wally@Jul 15 2004, 10:35 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper

Not from what I've heard and read. It seems to be as strong as rugby in private schools here in Australia. There aren't too many wealthy schools in England that play rugby league over rugby.
There aren't too many state schools that play Union over league/soccer. More and more schools in London playing League now, some getting to finals of national school competitions. Union teams are getting fewer in northern state schools with many schools concentrating on league rather than soccer. [/b]
Well I don't know much about state schools in England but if they do tend to play league over rugby why isn't England doing aswell as Australia? We get most of our talent through state schools and there's obviously more state schools in England then there is here.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jul 14 2004, 10:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jul 14 2004, 10:45 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Jul 13 2004, 11:19 PM
doesnt mean leagues more popular.

Theres more Soccer Players in NZ now then Union players, does it mean Soccer's more popular?
Depends how you look at it.[/b]
Mate, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

CaptainAmerica politely withdraws from this fair and balanced (cough, cough) thread.
<

Originally posted by NZL fan@Jul 13 2004, 01:36 PM
Wellington super 12 home attendance figures (2004): averaging 27,256.

Wellington NPC home attendance figures (2003): averaging 14,975 (with no all blacks....)

I think someone has very "selectively" made that attendance list up...........

This endless clap trap about how Super 12 isn't a club comp. and shouldn't be compared to NRL is just bulls..t. Club rugby in New Zealand is a totally different level of play compared to club rugby league in Aussie - same name but different level of competition. The levels, and their direct competition/level in the other codes are roughly as follows....

International Union = International league and State of origin (most players rate SOO as more important then international play).

Super 12 = Super league/NRL

NPC/Currie cup = Queensland cup, Bartercard etc

Club rugby union = minor Aussie league, Auckland club comp etc.

Now if we can all agree to that then i think you'll find that Rugby union comes out on top....................
Mate you are a fool.
Just because something is of a different level of play doesnt mean they arent comparable. Using your line of thought International League shouldn't be compared to the International Union. You sir are a fool.. How you can compare the NSW Waratahs to the South Sydney Rabbitohs is laughable where you can compare Randwick to South Sydney because they represent the same district and area of land. It's what they are representing not the level play.

International Union-International League
S12-State Of Origin
NPC,Tooheys New Cup- NRL

Thats it face it champ. And all you Rugby folk that claim how good International Union is compared to League. Nobody is arguing that International League is superior because its not but don't forget that Union has been around a lot longer than League because League is reletaively new to the world not even being 100 years old. So how you can expect League to take a stronghold in that time in the worldwide stage over the Traditional games of Soccer and Rugby Union is stupid. So when you think about it how League dominates NSW and QLD and Northern England and making huge progress in other parts of the world Union doesnt have anything on League.

Originally posted by Wally+Jul 16 2004, 08:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jul 16 2004, 08:42 AM)</div>
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Jul 15 2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Wally@Jul 15 2004, 10:35 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper

There aren't too many state schools that play Union over league/soccer. More and more schools in London playing League now, some getting to finals of national school competitions. Union teams are getting fewer in northern state schools with many schools concentrating on league rather than soccer.
Well I don't know much about state schools in England but if they do tend to play league over rugby why isn't England doing aswell as Australia? We get most of our talent through state schools and there's obviously more state schools in England then there is here. [/b]
The majority of the England team went to private schools/fee paying schools. This isn't a very good outlook for Union players in state comprehensives.

Latest posts