• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Interesting figures

Which is another reason why rugby league players are ill behaved in public. Half of rugby league players can't even talk properly. Darren Lockyer sounds like he should have been a brick layer.

Originally posted by Wally@Jul 18 2004, 04:34 AM
Which is another reason why rugby league players are ill behaved in public. Half of rugby league players can't even talk properly. Darren Lockyer sounds like he should have been a brick layer.
The majority of people go to State schools. Usually Rugby League players would rather concentrate on playing rugby than their own Education.

Mate its Rugby League not rugby. And one thing that i do not agree with i nLeague's culture is that "dumbness is cool" thing. It really annoys me how they think they can play League for 10 years earn 200k a season and then it will continue to keep them afloat after they hang up their boots. Even though you may be the biggest freak ever at 17 you should always finish school and get some sort of life after footy. That culture is changing though and its for the better.

See Wigan, even Australian League Fans now that Rugby means Union and Rugby League means Rugby League.

The Advantage Unions had over League (At least in NZ) we have always had a profesional mindframe for our teams, even pre 1995. The 1987 All Blacks were possibly the most professional team in either codes history, despite only being Amatuer (offically they were amatuer, unofficaly they were Professional - Italys had a fully professional league for neigh on 25 years now)

How do you define professional? They were not techinically Professional because they were not getting paid a salary for playing. But what I think your saying is that that team was professional in their training techniques, recovery and fitness programs etc.. Whereas in other eras players would have a Steak and Chips with a schooner then light a bunger 5 minutes before running out.

Originally posted by Dragon Fanatic@Jul 19 2004, 06:27 AM
How do you define professional? They were not techinically Professional because they were not getting paid a salary for playing.
They probably recieved thousands of pounds worth of traveling expenses.

Originally posted by Wally@Jul 18 2004, 03:34 PM
Half of rugby league players can't even talk properly. Darren Lockyer sounds like he should have been a brick layer.
But you would do ANYTHING to pinch Lockyer...

Originally posted by Wally@Jul 18 2004, 04:34 AM
Doesn't that give him the common touch where the avarage Joe Scully can connect with them whereas rah-rahs wouldn't.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC+Jul 20 2004, 02:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St_Helens_RLFC @ Jul 20 2004, 02:48 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-stupidass
@Jul 18 2004, 03:34 PM
Half of rugby league players can't even talk properly. Darren Lockyer sounds like he should have been a brick layer.
But you would do ANYTHING to pinch Lockyer... [/b]
Personally, if I was CEO, I would put a great deal of effort into recruiting him. He would be a great asset to rugby and a big loss for league. I don't think they put much into signing him though.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jul 20 2004, 03:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jul 20 2004, 03:20 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-stupidass
@Jul 18 2004, 04:34 AM
Doesn't that give him the common touch where the avarage Joe Scully can connect with them whereas rah-rahs wouldn't. [/b]
Joe Scully is most defiantely not average.

Id rather get K.Hunt

Maybe the NZRFU should go after him, bout time we converted some people ourselves

Originally posted by Dragon Fanatic+Jul 17 2004, 06:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dragon Fanatic @ Jul 17 2004, 06:32 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-NZL fan
@Jul 13 2004, 01:36 PM
Wellington super 12 home attendance figures (2004): averaging 27,256.

Wellington NPC home attendance figures (2003): averaging 14,975 (with no all blacks....)

I think someone has very "selectively" made that attendance list up...........

This endless clap trap about how Super 12 isn't a club comp. and shouldn't be compared to NRL is just bulls..t. Club rugby in New Zealand is a totally different level of play compared to club rugby league in Aussie - same name but different level of competition. The levels, and their direct competition/level in the other codes are roughly as follows....

International Union = International league and State of origin (most players rate   SOO as more important then international play).

Super 12 = Super league/NRL

NPC/Currie cup = Queensland cup, Bartercard etc

Club rugby union = minor Aussie league, Auckland club comp etc.

Now if we can all agree to that then i think you'll find that Rugby union comes out on top....................
Mate you are a fool.
Just because something is of a different level of play doesnt mean they arent comparable. Using your line of thought International League shouldn't be compared to the International Union. You sir are a fool.. How you can compare the NSW Waratahs to the South Sydney Rabbitohs is laughable where you can compare Randwick to South Sydney because they represent the same district and area of land. It's what they are representing not the level play.

International Union-International League
S12-State Of Origin
NPC,Tooheys New Cup- NRL

Thats it face it champ. And all you Rugby folk that claim how good International Union is compared to League. Nobody is arguing that International League is superior because its not but don't forget that Union has been around a lot longer than League because League is reletaively new to the world not even being 100 years old. So how you can expect League to take a stronghold in that time in the worldwide stage over the Traditional games of Soccer and Rugby Union is stupid. So when you think about it how League dominates NSW and QLD and Northern England and making huge progress in other parts of the world Union doesnt have anything on League. [/b]
Your post has actually proved all along who the idiot of this thread is.........and because you might be a little slow.........it is YOU!!

For one the Super 12 has always competed directly against NRL, always has always will.......... Obviously you were not able to fully grasp what my thread is about, so let me explain it very slowly and easily as possible to you.......

Again you have decided that because state of origin is "state against state" then because super 12 involves Aussie state sides as well then those two comps should be looked upon as equivalents in each code. WRONG! This needs to be put out of your thick head. READ: Rugby Union has more levels of competition then rugby league, therefore in the lower levels you can not compare a New Zealand NPC team with a NRL club side. League players don't change codes to play NPC or for Aussie club sides, they change to play Super 12, and from there International rugby.

Along with International league tests, state of origin is the highest level of competition in the code (rated even higher then International league by most). To compare fairly you then compare it to the highest level of competition in rugby union - ie. International test footy (still with me???)

The next level of competition therefore in each code is Super 12/English clubs and NRL/Superleague. Forget the fact the super 12 sides are called "franchises" and the league teams "clubs", its the level of competition that is the same (now nod your head up and down if you understand). To further prove this point the Warriors, storm, Raiders and Brisbane broncos are practically "state/city" sides under the guise of "club" teams. Nowdays the NRL at best is a mixture of state, city and traditional club teams. The warriors and Auckland blues are direct competitors for fans..........
However the lamest part of your post is the end where you basically say 90 odd years hasn't been enough time for league to grow in popularity..........give me a break.......and how it is "making huge progress in other parts of the world" - where exactly again????

In future pull your head out of your neather regions, and provide some informed debate please..........

Rugby League behaviour sounds like American football players. They're getting paid so much they can't think of anything else except talking like pimpin rappers. I'm not sure Rugby League players talk like rappers, but basically the only reason these guys go to university is to practice playing football. I'm sure there are idiots in every sport. Although more in some sports than others.

Originally posted by Ripper@Jul 21 2004, 08:46 AM
Id rather get K.Hunt

Maybe the NZRFU should go after him, bout time we converted some people ourselves
Your right, I'd rate Karmichael ahead of Locky. He'll be in rugby at some stage though, whether it be before 2007 or 2011 is the question. He could probably play in three World Cups if he came over in the next couple of years.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Jul 21 2004, 02:01 PM
Rugby League behaviour sounds like American football players. They're getting paid so much they can't think of anything else except talking like pimpin rappers. I'm not sure Rugby League players talk like rappers, but basically the only reason these guys go to university is to practice playing football. I'm sure there are idiots in every sport. Although more in some sports than others.
Where did that come from?
<

Originally posted by Ripper@Jul 21 2004, 08:46 AM
Id rather get K.Hunt

Why? We can actually produce our own talent.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC+Jul 22 2004, 04:24 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St_Helens_RLFC @ Jul 22 2004, 04:24 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Canadian_Rugby_Guy
@Jul 21 2004, 02:01 PM
<
[/b]
It came from the heart, Saints. From the sinful, beating heart.

And don't deny it. I've been up North and I've seen your League players on the streets wearing flatcaps and bling bling, saying things like: Gimme owt money, lass, fer't shizzle.

A sad state of affairs.

Originally posted by captainamerica+Jul 22 2004, 07:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Jul 22 2004, 07:16 PM)</div>
Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC@Jul 22 2004, 04:24 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Canadian_Rugby_Guy
@Jul 21 2004, 02:01 PM

<
It came from the heart, Saints. From the sinful, beating heart.

And don't deny it. I've been up North and I've seen your League players on the streets wearing flatcaps and bling bling, saying things like: Gimme owt money, lass, fer't shizzle.

A sad state of affairs. [/b]
sugden_percy.gif

Flat caps in the north are like this

Latest posts