• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Investec Champions Cup Final - Toulouse v Leinster

And they didn't. Better team won marginally. I think Leinster got tactics wrong slightly and more worrying is they aren't replacing the key parts they need to replace like a THP.
And I think if Leinster had a consistent 10 they score more. Rotational cycle doesn't work at 10. I feel 4 lads all getting minutes but none to point that it their team to boss. And it not being critical of any 10. Byrne or Frawley weren't bad today just in general like Sexton was or Crowley is say.
But they hardly went down in disgrace today. Toulouse were more clinical in their period of man up compared to Leindter in extra time.

Also what is your 1 word
I do agree they need an out go to unimpeachable 10 for the big games. For me that's not Ross Byrne.

I did think the ref was poor and Carley shouldn't be reffing games of this magnitude as well to be honest.

Selections I think they got a bit wrong. Ryan and Flier maybe give them the edge to pull in front early on which doesn't take the game to 100 minutes.

Anyway, decent final for a neutral. Both sides probably due a trophy in Europe so can't complain.

Didn't think Carley was terrible tbh - some poor decisions, sure, but not as bad as is being made out
When both sides of fans are complaining about bias it probably means it's a pretty level performance
He's a man named Carley.... Why is he taken seriously in any professional setting.

Decent intense game. Great atmosphere. My god don't Leinster love a boo or two. Feel Leinster played like morons in the second half in extra time which cost them the game. Carney wasn't the worst I've seen him.

One thing I would like to know. How was the Leinster 23 allowed to stay on after that head whack?

I don't think he favored one side or the other but I think other refs would have done a better job. Neither scrum half really had time or space as defenders were allowed to join rucks from side and be menaces on the SH. Both teams were allowed to illegally stop mauls (until the 70th minute when he started calling them).

I do agree they need an out go to unimpeachable 10 for the big games. For me that's not Ross Byrne.

I did think the ref was poor and Carley shouldn't be reffing games of this magnitude as well to be honest.

Selections I think they got a bit wrong. Ryan and Flier maybe give them the edge to pull in front early on which doesn't take the game to 100 minutes.

Anyway, decent final for a neutral. Both sides probably due a trophy in Europe so can't complain.
Don't get me wrong. Ref wasn't perfect but didn't alter result.
On 10 it no a blot against any 10 but it hard to get a settled 10 when chopping and changing there constantly so whoever it is they need to decide as it would help.
Selections as I said hindsight great like I'd have went the 2 lads too but can see the thinking the other way too

Decent intense game. Great atmosphere. My god don't Leinster love a boo or two. Feel Leinster played like morons in the second half in extra time which cost them the game. Carney wasn't the worst I've seen him.

One thing I would like to know. How was the Leinster 23 allowed to stay on after that head whack?
As a physio as few know I do seriously question this. It was 22 Frawley and presume Ross Byrne went off injured and they didn't want to lose a kicker bit from player welfare POV it was wrong

Don't get me wrong. Ref wasn't perfect but didn't alter result.
On 10 it no a blot against any 10 but it hard to get a settled 10 when chopping and changing there constantly so whoever it is they need to decide as it would help.
Selections as I said hindsight great like I'd have went the 2 lads too but can see the thinking the other way too
I do think Byrne won't make the cut. He could absolutely get carried to silverware, but Sexton was a player whou could elevate teams from the 10 position. For me Byrne is a decent campaigner who ultimately needs a very good supporting cast to get elevated at 10.

I do think Byrne won't make the cut. He could absolutely get carried to silverware, but Sexton was a player whou could elevate teams from the 10 position. For me Byrne is a decent campaigner who ultimately needs a very good supporting cast to get elevated at 10.
That is my point but to be that 10 you need at least 60mins 5 out of 7 weeks minimum especially when not a starting international.
Sexton survived Kong breaks but his body became more fragile. But Sexton had built up all that consistency already and was a leader already

As a physio as few know I do seriously question this. It was 22 Frawley and presume Ross Byrne went off injured and they didn't want to lose a kicker bit from player welfare POV it was wrong
Apologies, back row of top tier so the eyes were a little strained :D

He looked utterly out of it. Think the Toulouse physios were not happy on the sideline either

Apologies, back row of top tier so the eyes were a little strained :D

He looked utterly out of it. Think the Toulouse physios were not happy on the sideline either
😅 I know the eyes get strained.

But thankfully Frawley seemed OK but I thought he needed HIA but only views on tv. Maybe injury was seperate but seemed he took hit tackling just before Toulouse try

Go on. Explain the peno after Sheehans 50m break in the 1st half.

Joke call. Joke ref.
have you seen the replay or are you just going on what you see in the stadium? cause Dupont was legal there. I have seen it not given a lot but I don't see what Dupont did wrong.

😅 I know the eyes get strained.

But thankfully Frawley seemed OK but I thought he needed HIA but only views on tv. Maybe injury was seperate but seemed he took hit tackling just before Toulouse try
Yeah, that was the hit. Took a Toulouse hip to the face at quite a high speed. Certainly a HIA.

have you seen the replay or are you just going on what you see in the stadium? cause Dupont was legal there. I have seen it not given a lot but I don't see what Dupont did wrong.
Seen it many times. On his knees entering from our side.

Neutrals supporting Toulouse told us it was a joke.

As a game Toulouse deserved it, they won the big moments. But don't dare tell me it was an even handed game.

Case in point. Joe touched down after the whistle was blown immediately after a non obvious knock on. Two minutes later DuPont thread it forward and it took a Piardi intervention to give a scrum.

Carley was so out of his depth.

the knock on before the try was missed by Carley as well, that's what the confusion was about. He said play on but the AR called it in and at that point the ball was away.

Go on. Explain the peno after Sheehans 50m break in the 1st half.

Joke call. Joke ref.
As I said he was consistent not right.
I'd lean with @die_mole in that the Sheehan break was not a clear cut either way. I've certainly seen them go either way.
And you can use the knockons as examples but they still got to correct results. Toulouse got pulled for a forward pass at 1 stage and Leinster had a more blatant forward pass before they got away with.
So I think overall it did balance out and the more deserving team won.
I'm not saying the ref was excellent more he hadn't a bearing on the game. Obviously having the benefit of tv replays and allaids my calling of that but interestingly Leinster will wake up in the morning dull of regret as it was their own errors. And Jackman said as teams walked off he had never seen the warm up as nervy and errors as he did today.and it told in the first half especially.

Latest posts