• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Invictus - New Rugby Movie...with matt damon?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Johannesburg happens to be the greenest city in the world. >_>[/b]

Bullshit, Johannesburg is one of the filthiest cities in our country, it's certainly not what it looks like in District 9, but I can sot the smog of Johburg from here in Centurion for goodness sake.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 8 2010, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oh FFS, an enjoyable film about rugby comes out and now the great unwashed are moaning that it's not boring enough...

No pleasing some people.[/b]
I could have done with less rugby to be honest. What rugby there was in it was poor and the movie is about Nelson...

I like Morgan Freeman, but surley not everyline has to be over dramatized and inspiring...

6/10 I'd say. Eastwood is a good director, I just don't think he hit the nail on the head in this film.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ Feb 18 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Johannesburg happens to be the greenest city in the world. >_>[/b]

Bullshit, Johannesburg is one of the filthiest cities in our country, it's certainly not what it looks like in District 9, but I can sot the smog of Johburg from here in Centurion for goodness sake.
[/b][/quote]

This is a little bit crap of you. It's a fact dude. Johannesburg is the largest man-made forest in the world. It has more trees, than any other city on earth. I lived in Centurion for 3 years, and every time i washed my car, it was brown later that day because of the dust there. It's far cleaner here than in Pretoria.

Sacramento California has one of the highest per capita trees of any other city in the world, as does Nelspruit South Africa. The city is also planning to double its number of trees it has in the next 40 years. In terms of sheer numbers, Johannesburg South Africa is the most treed city in the world - with well over ten million trees. Large-scale operations in Beijing means it will too become very treed, although similar operations in Johannesburg mean that it is likely to retain the overall top spot comfortably.[/b]

Here is another one:

Johannesburg has over ten million trees,[16] and it is now the biggest man-made forest in the world, followed by Graskop in Mpumalanga that is the second biggest.[17] Many trees were originally planted in the northern areas of the city at the end of the 19th century, to provide wood for the mining industry.[/b]

You must be one of those typical 'Pretoriaaners' that have only ever been either to the City centre, or the East Rand. I'm not insulting you by any means, but almost everyone from there has this 'Joburg shithole' mentality. Johannesburg-South has some stunning valleys, and the entire JHB North is green everywhere with scattered Jacarandas. Ask Steve-O what this city looks like from the top of the mountain. He also changed his view on 'dirty Joburg' when i showed him what it really looks like.

Not seen the film, but according to my rugby playing mates, the rugby scenes are very unrealistic, especially the kicking... anyone got any thoughts on this? worth watching with a suspension of disbelief?

The rugby scenes are all a bit hollywood, but then again any sports film ever has ******** action scenes when the sport behind the plotline is portrayed.

The main concern is at the start of the Final when "Mehertens" does a 3m kick off! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Feb 18 2010, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 6 2010, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you get a much better picture of the country from District 9 and Tsotsi.[/b]

What? Rubbish. Thanks to these two movies, the whole world thinks Johannesburg is a giant squatter camp. Everybody asks me how i live in a place with no trees, and all the dust, and all the poverty and bla bla bla. Johannesburg happens to be the greenest city in the world. >_>

People also keep asking me if we import white people just for our rugby teams, because everyone is black. grrrrrr!

It's almost as bad as those retards overseas that keep asking me if i ride elephants to work, or if there are frequent Lion attacks. FFS.
[/b][/quote]

Well I've been to Joburg, staying in Sandton. Which is a very nice area. But not the sort of area you'd want to make a movie on, because it's boring. I went to Hillbrow and Soweto, which are grimy etc. etc. but this makes them much more interesting.

If you watch Invictus, set in 1995, you get the impression that South Africa has now been fixed by the great man Mandela, and that all the members of the rainbow nation are now getting along fine. You also see a bunch of Afrikaners and everyone else speaking a lot more English than I would expect.

If you watch Tsotsi, you see one major theme of South African life - and you can't deny it because there are massive slums and there is a massively high murder rate and middle class South Africans have to invest massively in security. You see this too in Louis Theroux's documentary. And Tsotsi is in the correct language for its setting.

If you watch District 9 with an ounce of ability to read between the lines, you'll see another big problem within South Africa which is illegal immigration from other parts of Africa. This was highlighted by the riots a few years ago. And watch Simon Reeve's documentary on the Tropic of Capricorn for more details.

So if I'm the average stupid American who thinks Africans ride Zebra to school, then my ignorance will be compounded by watching a sentimental Hollywood film about South Africa with a typical Hollywood happy ending. If I watch Tsotsi, I'll learn something real, and if I watch District 9 and read some newspapers, I'll have an even better picture of today's South Africa.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Feb 18 2010, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You must be one of those typical 'Pretoriaaners' that have only ever been either to the City centre, or the East Rand. I'm not insulting you by any means, but almost everyone from there has this 'Joburg shithole' mentality. Johannesburg-South has some stunning valleys, and the entire JHB North is green everywhere with scattered Jacarandas. Ask Steve-O what this city looks like from the top of the mountain. He also changed his view on 'dirty Joburg' when i showed him what it really looks like.[/b]

Not in the least, I've been all over Johburg, hell I have family there whom we visit almost every year, the point you're trying to make is that Johburg has a lot of trees, more than any other city in the world, which is fair enough, but it's still polluted to hell and back, trees or no.

I know there are some drop dead gorgeous places to visit in Johannesburg, but as a city center you can't deny that it's filthy as hell, more than most cities in this country by miles.

I guess if what you were trying to say from the start was that Johburg is the greenest city in the world because it literally has the most trees than yeah, I can't argue with that, but the city is still filthy.
I wasn't trying to pick a inter city fight or anything, I just couldn't believe you would say Johburg was greenest as in "cleanest" city in the world.

And to be completely honest, I still feel like wearing a gas mask anytime I see the city skyline.

Well, i don't think the pollution is bad at all.

Also, Durban's inner city is far more ****-hole than anywhere i think... That place is screwed. I regularly still skate with mates in the inner city, and it's not that bad. Hillbrow and Yeoville are worse than giant toilets though. Sis.

Johannesburg-South has some stunning valleys, and the entire JHB North is green everywhere with scattered Jacarandas. Ask Steve-O what this city looks like from the top of the mountain. He also changed his view on 'dirty Joburg' when i showed him what it really looks like.[/b]

Below is pics from my recent holiday in SA & Jhb I've traveled all over Jhb all I'll says, city center like any is **** hole! Northern and Eastern Parts are really nice and green as you say. Kempton used to be nice but Not anymore, i spent most of my time in Boksburg which is 50/50, Germinston is very much a dump mind its always been industrial. Neighbor city Pretoria is generally nice except for that area around the zoo which is the area i felt most unsafe.

3 pics of North Jhb, last one is taken in Krugersdorp
On topic...going to see the movie over the weekend :)
DSC00413.jpg

DSC01317.jpg

DSC01253.jpg

DSC01357.jpg

Hey I gotta say though, going on the tower of terror at Goldreef and seeing the almost finished Soccer city in the distance is quite a sight as well, a sight seen behind lots of smog, but it's still pretty awesome.

I also get the feeling too many people are going out and watching this movie expecting it to be a rugby movie, which is just isn't.
It's a drama, I don't even think it should be compared to a sports movie at all. I loved the flick by the way, one of the best I've seen last year, can't wait for the DVD to check out the making of stuff.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bam-Bam Jack @ Feb 14 2010, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Feb 7 2010, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're not gonna make a Hollywood film these days and find a <strike>better</strike> cheaper director than Dirty Harry. Fact.[/b]
Fixed. Studios love Eastwood because he bangs out their films on-budget and on-time in the same way that Peter Jackson doesn't.
[/b][/quote]

Cheaper?
Im sure the 2 oscars he has sitting on his mantlepiece have no say in this either, right?
<_<

Invictus is a great film like ok the rugby scenes are unrealistic but like still it a great film and you'd almost believe Freeman is really Mandela

You'd believe Freeman was any authority figure.

Christ's sake, he's God, to me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 24 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Invictus is a great film like ok the rugby scenes are unrealistic but like still it a great film and you'd almost believe Freeman is really Mandela[/b]

One more "like" in that sentence and i would have mistaken you for a Californian!
:p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Feb 24 2010, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 24 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Invictus is a great film like ok the rugby scenes are unrealistic but like still it a great film and you'd almost believe Freeman is really Mandela[/b]

One more "like" in that sentence and i would have mistaken you for a Californian!
:p
[/b][/quote]
Ok LIKE :p

This is a little bit crap of you. It's a fact dude. Johannesburg is the largest man-made forest in the world. It has more trees, than any other city on earth. I lived in Centurion for 3 years, and every time i washed my car, it was brown later that day because of the dust there. It's far cleaner here than in Pretoria.

I grew up in Pretoria, visited Jozi many times and have to say Pretoria is much much cleaner! Easier on the eyes too! B)

The movie is excellent by the way, minus several inaccuracies, but it gives off great feel good factor and the acting in it is amazing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The All Whites @ Feb 26 2010, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I grew up in Pretoria, visited Jozi many times and have to say Pretoria is much much cleaner! Easier on the eyes too![/b]

I actually lived in both, and know both Cities inside out, and still think that JHB is far prettier, with millions more to do, and a lot less 'ek gaan jou bliksem vir niks' people. If by easier on the eyes you are talking about how yellow and dead Pretoria's grass is, then i agree. It's like a city in a veld. Also, It's not cleaner, they are both equally dirty. Pretoria Zoo is a ****-hole, but the Zoo here is World-Class. Pretoria's city is not THAT bad, but JHB city is poo. So it goes both ways.

Latest posts