• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Player of the Year nominees revealed

I agree that Hooper was probably more deserving of a nomination than Le Roux or Sexton. Probably more than Savea. Unlucky - but he's still so young I'm sure he'll be in the mix every year for the next 10.

Brodie is a good cowboy/western name...the Outlaw Brodie Retallick. But Retallick also sounds like some kind of demon or alien hunter, so with the two names together he could be an alien-hunting space cowboy...like the Chronicles of Brodie Retallick, or something.

close enough, yeah that's pretty good. And right before a big action sequence, the movie has a recurrent catch phrase like "oh shiit here he comes !... - here comes who ?! - ...Brodie Retallick".

And this is his theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaI2qTpsgu0

And he has to have a 'thing' he does all the time...yeah okay, he sips on his own concoction from a little metal vial, nobody knows what it is, and it's some steaming green liquid. And he's got his own distinct iconic cringe for after he takes a sip. People around him go "they say he's got an iron liver....and another liver for a heart !!..".
The tagline on the poster goes: "No creed. No nation. No politics. No booze....no booze ?!!". BRODIE RETALLICK.

After a torrid action scene in a bar, he meets a hot chick who seduces him and after they screw she tells him "surely a man like you's got time for a lady..." and he replies "I fell in love once....but then I got back up".

Okay, that's enough for the day...

close enough, yeah that's pretty good. And right before a big action sequence, the movie has a recurrent catch phrase like "oh shiit here he comes !... - here comes who ?! - ...Brodie Retallick".

And this is his theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaI2qTpsgu0

And he has to have a 'thing' he does all the time...yeah okay, he sips on his own concoction from a little metal vial, nobody knows what it is, and it's some steaming green liquid. And he's got his own distinct iconic cringe for after he takes a sip. People around him go "they say he's got an iron liver....and another liver for a heart !!..".
The tagline on the poster goes: "No creed. No nation. No politics. No booze....no booze ?!!". BRODIE RETALLICK.

After a torrid action scene in a bar, he meets a hot chick who seduces him and after they screw she tells him "surely a man like you's got time for a lady..." and he replies "I fell in love once....but then I got back up".

Okay, that's enough for the day...

:) I think Brodie would be quite pleased with the mental image he's conjured up in your mind. :)

Each of the nominees could have their alter egos based on their names alone...

WILLIE LE ROUX - Master chef, specializing in roux sauces and French cuisine

BRODIE RETALLICK - Action film anti-hero.

KING JULIEN SAVEA - He likes to move it, move it! (*See Madagascar Movie)

JONATHAN SEXTON BLAKE - British pulp fiction detective

DWAYNE "The Rock" VERMEULEN - Pro-wrestler, actor, and middle-aged female heartthrob

*Some names have been altered to fit their egos...

Okay - back to business. Here's how I would rate these players, from most likely (or most deserved), to least.

Retallick
Sexton (just 'cause)
Vermeulen
Savea
Le Roux

I suppose most would put Sexton second from last (as far as possibilities go), but it's good to see a NH guy on the list, and an old fart, at that! Would be nice to see him get it for sentimental reasons, I suppose.

das

I label that quack science of the highest order and refute it accordingly. I challenge you to mathematically prove that Sex le Roux < Hooper

Gotta be Retallick though. Some fella and second Rows need some love.

Well, about le Roux and Hooper is too easy, just look the positions of their teams in the last Super Rugby season:

1- Waratahs

14- Cheetahs

Anyone who watched the season knows that Hooper is the heart of the team is important even for the Wallabies, is a cornerstone for Tahs.

I label that quack science of the highest order and refute it accordingly. I challenge you to mathematically prove that Sex le Roux < Hooper

Gotta be Retallick though. Some fella and second Rows need some love.

Well, about le Roux and Hooper is too easy, just look the positions of their teams in the last Super Rugby season:

1 Waratahs
14 Cheetahs

Anyone who watched the season knows that Hooper is the heart of the team is important even for the Wallabies, is a cornerstone for Tahs.

1 Waratahs
14 Cheetahs

Club form has absolutely nothing to do with this award.

Club form has absolutely nothing to do with this award.

True, but I like his logic ;)

The IRB player of the year should thus be fought out between Retallick and Savea:

1. New Zealand
2. South Africa
5. Ireland

I'm surprised to see Sexton there. Mike Brown was given the 6 nations player of the year award so I thought he might have been there. Either way I hope DUANE 'THOR' VERMEULEN gets it

I am surprised too. But on reflection, i think Brown has dropped internationally since the six nations and Sexton has improved game after game. His consistency makes him a deserved nominee for me.

Hooper deserves to be nominated too, the form open-side for me.

I agree that Hooper was probably more deserving of a nomination than Le Roux or Sexton. Probably more than Savea. Unlucky - but he's still so young I'm sure he'll be in the mix every year for the next 10.

Agree, played a great season as a player, thought his ability as a captain was not the flashest sometimes, made some real bad calls at critical times, things like not taking the 3 points when on offer, taking scrums etc

I am surprised too. But on reflection, i think Brown has dropped internationally since the six nations and Sexton has improved game after game. His consistency makes him a deserved nominee for me.

Hooper deserves to be nominated too, the form open-side for me.

I remember the June tests and a lot of european journalists and fans were saying that Brown was the best fullback in the world and would come down here and teach the AB's a lesson.

Well he did actually, just the lesson was how not to play fullback at test level.

The consensus on the thread seems to be that it's between Retallick and Vermeulen, and I would go with that, they are the two stand out players. I'm slightly nonplussed by Le Roux's inclusion, he is capable of brilliance, but every other player in that list you just know will have a stormer every day he plays...Le Roux is also capable of mediocrity. I would have included Hooper in his place personally, I think he's been outstanding every time I've seen him play - there is a list of jobs you want your back row to do, shared between the three of them and he does each and every one of them himself in most games.

Also, Ben Smith would undoubtedly be in this list if he hadn't got screwed over by a weird selection decision. As fullback he was head and shoulders over everyone, at a really strong time for international fullbacks.

EDIT: Actually I'd include Hooper alongside the Vermeulen and Retallick as the three stand out players of the year

Last edited:
Whoever wins out of Retallick and Vermeulen(if one of these guys win) will be deserving.

GL to both.

Everyone in the North Hemisphere/European regional area mass voting for Sexton I see.

why willie :? why not Ben Smith????

hell even Mccaw has been immense... no im not making it just about NZ...

Duane deserves to be there I must add... Willie's inclusion has me puzzled...

its between Brodie and Duane...

maybe ben and hooper were not included to make the decision of who the winner is easier :?

ben + Hooper + duane + Brodie... damn... tough one..

Last edited:
Congratulations to 2014 IRB player of the year Brodie Retallick.

All Blacks cleaned sweeped all the awards.

Well done Retallick but I don't think he was actually the best All Blacks player this year. I think it was 2012 when Read won the overall award but McCaw won the NZ award. I think the same thing will happen this year.

well done. Happy what I think is the fairest winner got it. The right choice was made.
Brodie Retallica, the renegade.

1 Waratahs
14 Cheetahs

To be fair, your argument is complete and utter rubbish! This award is about "player" of the year, and a savvy rugby analyst will see well past "team" performance when identifying the best "players" in the world.

Apologies, I came on here to congratulate the well deserving Brodie Retallick for winning the award, but read the above comment, and was amazed that someone who has posted on here more than 3000 times, could do so with such ignorance :eek:

Well done Brodie, fully deserved! The only player I thought could have come close would have been Duane Vermeulen, but IMHO the right decision was made! Brodie was an absolute beast his year. His work round the ruck is phenomenal and in more recent times he has become a crucial link man in the ABs forward play. Sensational skills from such a big lad. If political rubbish stays out of the awards in years to come, Brodie has the capabilities of winning this award many times! I believe he is still getting better. Congrats! Also Congrats to Hansen and the ABs, what a tremendous year!

Latest posts