• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB rankings and RWC 2015 pool draws

^ wait, nobody's going to hate that post ?!!!

It's a french guy posting a link with "Scotland can top their pool" and a sarcastic mocking smiley !!!
Isn't anybody going to attack him violently and relentlessly ?!! :huh:

P.S.: yeah...that's pretty hilarious honestly ZeFrenchy !....thx for posting !:D

EDIT: EYY Ozzies on here (surprisingly few btw) !!!
Discuss your sentiment on Pool A and your team please. You guys really ****** or what ? Confident ?

Last edited:
I can't blame a Scot for saying they have a chance at topping the log; they do. It would take some doing beating both Bokke and Samoa or if one beats them gets beaten by the other and the points worki in their favor but crazier things ahve happened.

In the same breath Japan will be looking to make a statement seeing as they are hosting in 2019 and USA (or Canada?) aren't easy-beats either. So Scotland could easily fall foul there.

I think Scotland and Wales are seriously in danger of missing direct qualification for the 2019 World Cup. I would not be surprised to see Fiji and Japan finish 3rd in the pools.

I think Scotland and Wales are seriously in danger of missing direct qualification for the 2019 World Cup. I would not be surprised to see Fiji and Japan finish 3rd in the pools.

What makes you say that?

I think some are overestimating Scotland's plight here.

Fiji and Japan are both terrible.

Not sure what makes you say that. Scotland are much better than Japan. The fact is that Scotland have too good a pack to succumb to Japan. Their result v Tonga was bad, but it's another thing entirely to lose against Japan in the WC.

Wales are going through a tough patch, but Fiji are simply appalling at the moment! It was 66-0 at the WC, and Fiji have received some similar thrashings since. I expect Fiji to be better than last time, but I'm also expecting Wales to be much better than they currently are as well.

I am not saying Scotland and Wales are definitely ending 4th in the groups but a lot can happen. Fiji and Japan can beat them on the day. Japan and Fiji are not playing good enough for it at the moment but a lot can happen in 3 years. In recent years the minnows have really shown they improved in many aspects.

I am not saying Scotland and Wales are definitely ending 4th in the groups but a lot can happen. Fiji and Japan can beat them on the day. Japan and Fiji are not playing good enough for it at the moment but a lot can happen in 3 years. In recent years the minnows have really shown they improved in many aspects.

That logic can be applied to Wales.

Lot can happen in 3 years as you said.

We were supposed to crash out in 2011.
It's three years away. If we can stop being stupid feckers by then, anything can happen.
For what it's worth, Fiji look nothing like the team of 2007.

We've gotten our quadrennial **** series out of the way (2010, 2007 were our previous ones) so we should be good to go for 2015.
Let's do this boys...

^ yes honestly I think ppl are over-rating Fiji a whole lot currently, I mean seriously they suck right now...Surprisingly in fact, they've shown some srs sides in the past, but it's just a void of a period for them right now is what it is...I mean just this: Ireland A annihilates Fiji lol...what, 53-0 was it ?

And Japan have been able to do a few things in RWC's, but they're nowhere near the intensity and quality of other Tier 2 or 3 teams right now, forget Tier 1.
In fact, they should seriously reconsider the whole thing in my opinion...it's been a few world cups now they've gotten ANNIHILATED by others; I mean, what's the point of competing ?...either seriously work on your team and rugby culture or just opt out, I dunno, what's the point of getting smashed by triple digit every time ?!
I see they're makin some moves in their league now...that's cool. But they've been there since the first RWC...they've always seemed to have some above avg. attack for their caliber, but the defense just isn't there...at all.
Funny how Canada tied with them twice in a row in the RWC hehe...forgot about that.

EDIT: about the Wales thing. They're good, and they can get a lot better in 3yrs. But that's not the problem. The thing is there's a top3 SH in there and there's England. England will never ever ever ever not get out of the pools while HOSTING the RWC. I can't see WAL and AUS moving on. So there's England for sure, and then what, not Australia ?!...

Last edited:
To be fair Japan looked a well coached side when I've seen them play. They blew a 16-0 lead against a pretty strong Samoa side in the PNC and had a chance to win from a conversion from the touchline in the last minute that missed. (http://www.irb.com/pacificnationscup/matches/match=12590/index.html) They also gave Italy a close match last year and hold their own against the Pacific Islands. It will be interesting to see how they go against Wales next year, I think they will keep that a lot closer than they've ever come to Wales before for sure. However their scrummaging is a weak point (curiously however they are great on the maul despite being poor scrummagers), and on occasions tackling in the backs. Of course though, Japan have beaten Scotland before once.

However Japan have a history of performing much better outside of World Cups than they do in World Cups. For example in 2009 Japan beat Canada 46-8 and 27-6 in a two test series in November, yet when they faced off at the RWC Canada finished ahead of Japan and the Japanese record at World Cup remained at one win (against Zimbabwe) in 1991. In 2011 many thought that would be the tournament they finally showed some significant improvements and could emerge from the World Cup with a much bigger reputation but they again failed to impress on the big stage. This is partly due to the fact Japan are the exception in Tier 2 as they can get all their players available reliably with no problems and train and prepare for a much longer period than say Canada who would have likely got half their European based squad just a few days before the international if they get them available at all.

As for Fiji, they are unpredictable, I think Wales' set piece is too strong. I think Fiji are too hard to predict this far out, I don't think that the Ireland match was fully indicative of their level as they didn't seem to give much effort, they should up their game for the big occasion and perhaps give teams a rough 30 minutes or so perhaps at the least. On the otherhand, it is a possibility that Fiji could quit bothering too much about Union considering they'll never win the RWC whilst they have a realistic chance of winning the Olympics at Sevens. I would expect more of the performance they showed against Scotland this year, where they had their moments in the match but ultimately their weaknesses were shown up.

And Japan have been able to do a few things in RWC's, but they're nowhere near the intensity and quality of other Tier 2 or 3 teams right now, forget Tier 1.
In fact, they should seriously reconsider the whole thing in my opinion...it's been a few world cups now they've gotten ANNIHILATED by others; I mean, what's the point of competing ?...either seriously work on your team and rugby culture or just opt out, I dunno, what's the point of getting smashed by triple digit every time ?!
I see they're makin some moves in their league now...that's cool. But they've been there since the first RWC...they've always seemed to have some above avg. attack for their caliber, but the defense just isn't there...at all.
Funny how Canada tied with them twice in a row in the RWC hehe...forgot about that.

Would you like to explain how a team "nowhere near" the quality of Tier 2 or 3 teams, led a good Samoa side ranked #7 in the world 16-0 and nearly beat them this year? Or how that side led Italy at half time away from home last year and only lost by 7 points. Not as good as them but hardly "nowhere near". They were also just 25-21 behind to France in the RWC after 65 minutes last year, hardly "annihilated". They have shown in those two recent matches they can be competitive with the lower Tier 1 sides, and have held their own against Pacific Island opposition for a few years now and also have a favourable record with North American sides outside World Cups. Just their problem is consistently under performing at the big tournament.

They only got destroyed by the All Blacks in a match they played their second string and against a team that many better sides than the Japanese second string have been destroyed by.

You clearly think Japan are Namibia like by the tone of your post, consider the facts before posting for once.

Last edited:
psychic duck: you're wrong, because whatever you say, I'll always beat you at Mario Bros.
But thx for the info...it's true Japan play better outside RWC's...and there NEEDS to be an Asian representation anyways, so we've got to have Japan...it's a shame, it's time they could be spending creating cool video-games in stead of committing hara-kiri on a Rugby field.

Dont underestimate Fiji. Admittedly they seem in disarray but should they get there house in order i.e. get best players available consistently, there results could improve significantly and build to RWC. You never know.

Disagree. As I stated previously, they're both terrible sides.

^ yes honestly I think ppl are over-rating Fiji a whole lot currently, I mean seriously they suck right now...Surprisingly in fact, they've shown some srs sides in the past, but it's just a void of a period for them right now is what it is...I mean just this: Ireland A annihilates Fiji lol...what, 53-0 was it ?

Japan gave France a good scare last year - yes granted, they did not have the depth to keep it on for the full 80; but it was touch and go until they lost steam.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/sep/10/france-japan-world-cup

Not saying they're world beaters - but they can';t be dismissed.

Just sayin.... ;)

I agree with a lot of the other posters where Fiji is just a total wildcard. If they keep up like they have been the last 18 months than they will be a non factor with the exception of their match against the Repechage winner. Three years is a long time plenty of time to get some things in order, it could also get worse knowing the political situation in Fiji and how bad the Union is run there. More than any other team this is one thats going to have to "play out" over the course of the next few years. Turnaround needs to start now though, the performance in 2011 aside from the Namibia match was borderline pathetic.

I don't think Japan got a pool that matches their strengths at all, I really think South Africa and Samoa will beat them up physically. Scotland might be a slightly better match up and America's #2 could be a win. I think Japan might have to geta favourable ordering of their match ups. Japanese coaches have never seemed to care about throwing 2nd string sides to the wolves though(I know a lot of other teams do this as well but Japan seem to take it to a different level). So I would think they'll target Scotland as their big chance, though America's #2 could always finish third in this pool as well if they can pull off an upset.

Japan gave France a good scare last year - yes granted, they did not have the depth to keep it on for the full 80; but it was touch and go until they lost steam.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/sep/10/france-japan-world-cup

Not saying they're world beaters - but they can';t be dismissed.

Just sayin.... ;)

I like this point. At the end of the day teams like Canada, Japan & Tonga do not have the depth to carry on the full eighty minutes for several weeks straight against the top sides. Yoe91 would be a liar if he said he was not sweating during the last wc while watching France/Canada or France/Japan, I know I was. However at the end of the match there was too much depth on the France side. We all saw what Tonga did and congrats to them they deserved that scalp. Things like this will happen, and are good for the game of rugby. However to say Wales & Scotland will have trouble with teams like Fiji or Japan based on current form is wishful thinking. The top nations can draw on too much talent and resources in three years time.

I like this point. At the end of the day teams like Canada, Japan & Tonga do not have the depth to carry on the full eighty minutes for several weeks straight against the top sides. Yoe91 would be a liar if he said he was not sweating during the last wc while watching France/Canada or France/Japan, I know I was. However at the end of the match there was too much depth on the France side. We all saw what Tonga did and congrats to them they deserved that scalp. Things like this will happen, and are good for the game of rugby. However to say Wales & Scotland will have trouble with teams like Fiji or Japan based on current form is wishful thinking. The top nations can draw on too much talent and resources in three years time.

One factor that might change though is the Tier Two sides are supposed to get more favourable schedules this time around, the Tier Two sides results were much closer in games 1 and 2 than they were in 3 and 4. Scotland were very nearly upset by Romania and Georgia last time around, the minnows lack of depth was exaggerated as well, since the schedules were the exact opposite of what they should be if we want exciting RWC's.

While I do think Wales will get things turned around from this current poor stretch I'm not as confident about Scotland there are some serious structural problems there, and the only plan seems to be "bring in project players". Losing Robinson is a blow, I think he was a key part in some of the scalps they've taken in the last few years.

Last edited:
Which pool do you guys think my underachieving side would do the best in? Getting two wins would be unheard of in the same RWC to let you know how it is. They could land in either:

Pool B: South Africa, Samoa, Scotland, Asia 1, Americas 2.

or

Pool D: France, Ireland, Italy, Americas 1, Europe 2.

Heh, I asked (twitter not real life) Todd Clever the captain which he'd rather see the Eagles land in and he said "D of course! :)" But it was most likely because that would mean they have a good summer and top the Canadians to get the #1 Americas spot. But France/Ireland/Italy tell me that would take a miracle not to end up with at least 3 L's in a pool like that. But it's not like it's too much easier going against South Africa/Scotland/Samoa. Tough either way huh? I guess I just hope they make it, nothing's for sure.

Latest posts