• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland and Scotland

There's been talk of the Glasgow Bulls making a bid, I'm not going to comment on it...because I intend to start playing with them fairly soon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jan 10 2009, 05:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There's been talk of the Glasgow Bulls making a bid, I'm not going to comment on it...because I intend to start playing with them fairly soon.[/b]

How is Dundee, by the way? I'm coming there for university.

Dundee is fantastic if your a student coming in, I live in Glasgow now you see.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jan 10 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dundee is fantastic if your a student coming in, I live in Glasgow now you see.[/b]

It does look good, especially for an Edinburgh boy; most big cities are a bit intimidating, while small towns are just too quiet - Dundee is neither.

I'd love for there to be an Edinburgh side in super league as I'm just getting into the sport and would seriously consider getting a season book for an Edinburgh side. But like has already been said sadly there is not much demand for rugby league in scotland we are more rugby union fans... at least that's what I've found so far.

I'd like to think there's plans for a Scottish or Edinburgh side given that this years "magic weekend" is being held at Murrayfield Stadium.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SuperLeagueFan @ Feb 9 2009, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd love for there to be an Edinburgh side in super league as I'm just getting into the sport and would seriously consider getting a season book for an Edinburgh side. But like has already been said sadly there is not much demand for rugby league in scotland we are more rugby union fans... at least that's what I've found so far.

I'd like to think there's plans for a Scottish or Edinburgh side given that this years "magic weekend" is being held at Murrayfield Stadium.[/b]

I'd love an professional Edinburgh RL side, too, but the plans are for such a team to be in Glasgow. To be fair, there is a lot more interest over there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Mar 2 2009, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That's good to hear. Both Kelly and RLI seem quite ambitious. This line is a bit of wishful thinking though:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
rugby league is growing in popularity in a country dominated by Gaelic football, hurling, rugby union and football.[/b]

Rugby League gets absolutely no media coverage in Ireland. Union is booming at the moment. Perhaps League is growing in terms of playing numbers but it pales in comparison to the growth of the other rugby code. I'd hazard a guess that if you asked most Union fans in Ireland how the Irish team did in the 2008 RLWC, very few would recall less than 6 months after the event took place.

More international games held in Dublin (or another Irish city), increased reporting from the media plus perhaps a "Magic" weekend or two will be needed before an Irish based professional club can become financially viable and/or successful. Hopefully this will happen and within the next decade we'll see an Irish team joining the Co-operative Championship and in time the European Super League.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred187 @ Jan 10 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jan 10 2009, 05:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's been talk of the Glasgow Bulls making a bid, I'm not going to comment on it...because I intend to start playing with them fairly soon.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Dundeesmiffy is lying, all of my Aberdonian mates said it was a total pit and a dump and that you'd be far better off studying in Aberdeen...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Mar 3 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred187 @ Jan 10 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jan 10 2009, 05:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Dundeesmiffy is lying, all of my Aberdonian mates said it was a total pit and a dump and that you'd be far better off studying in Aberdeen...
[/b][/quote]

Well they would say that, wouldn't they - they're in Aberdeen!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 2 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Mar 2 2009, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's good to hear. Both Kelly and RLI seem quite ambitious. This line is a bit of wishful thinking though:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
rugby league is growing in popularity in a country dominated by Gaelic football, hurling, rugby union and football.[/b]

Rugby League gets absolutely no media coverage in Ireland. Union is booming at the moment. Perhaps League is growing in terms of playing numbers but it pales in comparison to the growth of the other rugby code. I'd hazard a guess that if you asked most Union fans in Ireland how the Irish team did in the 2008 RLWC, very few would recall less than 6 months after the event took place.

More international games held in Dublin (or another Irish city), increased reporting from the media plus perhaps a "Magic" weekend or two will be needed before an Irish based professional club can become financially viable and/or successful. Hopefully this will happen and within the next decade we'll see an Irish team joining the Co-operative Championship and in time the European Super League.
[/b][/quote]

To be honest mate there's nothing wrong with talking things up a bit. Other sports do it all the time yet RL often seems to be too honest when promoting itself.

I wish the RLI all the best in their endeavours.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Mar 3 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
To be honest mate there's nothing wrong with talking things up a bit. Other sports do it all the time yet RL often seems to be too honest when promoting itself.

I wish the RLI all the best in their endeavours.[/b]
I agree. I'm not criticising them for self promotion. Unless they keep beating the drum, nobody will listen. RLI are to be commended for their effort and hopefully other media outlets will take note in helping them on their way. Long may they continue to be proactive and one day we'll see a professional rugby league team (or more) based in Ireland along with an Irish RL national team made up of domestically produced players.

Limerick?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/...4241893111.html

"It is believed that in addition to Limerick FC, a new rugby league club, Limerick Flame, which plans to enter a team in the British based Championship in 2010 is anxious to play out of a revamped stadium while the Munster Branch of the IRFU and local GAA authorities have apparently expressed enthusiasm for the idea of a 5,000 to 7,000 seat venue so close to the centre of the city."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Mar 4 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Limerick?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/...4241893111.html

"It is believed that in addition to Limerick FC, a new rugby league club, Limerick Flame, which plans to enter a team in the British based Championship in 2010 is anxious to play out of a revamped stadium while the Munster Branch of the IRFU and local GAA authorities have apparently expressed enthusiasm for the idea of a 5,000 to 7,000 seat venue so close to the centre of the city."[/b]
Interesting. Limerick is the hotbed of rugby in Ireland. I wonder if the Flame have any affiliation with the Treaty City ***ans who play in the domestic League competition or if they plan on entering the league in their own right.

Latest posts