• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland, not Wales, are now the main Celtic power of rugby (if we didn't know that already)

Sexton is going to be 38 at the World Cup. You're not winning a WC with a 38 year old fly half.
What's the chances he doesn't make it? 50/50? That's probably pretty generous to be fair.

If bookies offered odds of say 3-1 on Sexton missing out due to injury or whatever I think you'd even have half of Ireland putting big money on that. Come to think of it I'm going to see if I can find some odds on it

If he gets enough game time in and shows progress during that time then yeah, he'll have the players around around him to make a run.
He's had plenty game time over 6yrs or so and still shows he isn't even close to been a world class 10,hard to win a World Cup with a average 10

He's had plenty game time over 6yrs or so and still shows he isn't even close to been a world class 10,hard to win a World Cup with a average 10
looks at user name then looks at comment; there's also a huge gap between world class and average

looks at user name then looks at comment
So because I think he's average u u say that?fact is when he came off and sexton came on u saw a huge difference.joey doesn't know how to run a game and that's clear in Munster and ireland.there's a huge drop from ur starting 10 to ur next best and that a fact.just look at the stats and watch how he can't control games even against weeker opposition

So because I think he's average u u say that?fact is when he came off and sexton came on u saw a huge difference.joey doesn't know how to run a game and that's clear in Munster and ireland.there's a huge drop from ur starting 10 to ur next best and that a fact.just look at the stats and watch how he can't control games even against weeker opposition
you seem to think I'm Irish?

this isn't really the place where we fight about which players are elite and (unironically) make mount Rushmore's of rugby players.

this isn't really the place where we fight about which players are elite and (unironically) make mount Rushmore's of rugby players.
All I'm saying is he isn't a great 10,and it's been proven for 6yrs.he's been given plenty chances to prove people wrong and he hasn't.Ireland should have tried others but now this close to WC they are stuffed

Joey isn't good enough to get u pat a 1/4 final never mind win u a final,and I'll take any bet u want that SA goes further than ireland in the World Cup.put ur money where ur mouth is.
're Joey. Disagree totally. SA are up there. Behind Ireland though. Your opinion is exactly that btw.

then say that; don't be telling people to put their money where their mouth is or assuming nationality because they have a differing opinion of a player than you. A lot of people think that Pollard was a mediocre flyhallf who won a World Cup because of there World Cup (which was the basis of my joke).

then say that; don't be telling people to put their money where their mouth is or assuming nationality because they have a differing opinion of a player than you. A lot of people think that Pollard was a mediocre flyhallf who won a World Cup because of there World Cup (which was the basis of my joke)

Pollard has some more
I'm rugby than any of ur 10s in the NH,highest paid player In the world.think u need to understand the game more if u think he is mediocre.

yeah the WC winning flyhallf is probably going to land a big bag, that's how things work. He's not in many World 15s and hasn't been nominated for world player of the year. Montpellier missed the playoffs last year and he's taking a huge payout on his next contract so he's nowhere near the highest paid player.

All this being said, I am not entirely convinced that Ireland neccesarily have more natural talent than Wales does. It is more that their structures are superior, rather than their players as individuals. This table is interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rugby_Under_20_Championship#Participating_nations
I would have said not too far behind Ireland. But after losing to, no disrespect, no hopers, it feels downright foolish to be even comparing right now. Wales have a big job on. To say the least.

South Africa have won their last two with fairly run of the mill kicking tens... Certainly not names that will be remembered as era defining players.

I'd argue that Joey Carbery on form is more dangerous than Pollard (not a better player but he could be), it's just that he hasn't really had a run since 2017 with injuries. He looked string v Argentina and assured away to France, Johnny didn't look much better when against up a man v England either. He's certainly the guy to bet on.

Any bets now are ridiculous anyway, it's looking very likely there'll be two evenly matched QFs out of Pool A and B that could go either way because Scotland shouldn't pose a threat.

Edit: Missed the end of this page!

I would have said not too far behind Ireland. But after losing to, no disrespect, no hopers, it feels downright foolish to be even comparing right now. Wales have a big job on. To say the least.
Looking at that table of the U20's Championship, only in 2014 and 2016 did Ireland finish higher-ranked than Wales, and in 2018 they were nearly relegated but for a last-minute win against Japan! It isn't like England, NZ or SA which routinely are at or near the top of the annual Championship. Certainly, Ireland has benefitted from better investment, management and a greater enthusiasm for its professional teams and academies than Wales has. But this doesn't mean that there are many more naturally gifted and talented players than in Wales.

Latest posts