• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v England, 10/02/13

Daly is playing mostly at 15 for Wasps as has been called in as injury cover for Foden so I guess England think of him as a full back (although he looks equally snazzy when at 13). I'm a big fan and really hope that (somehow) he gets some game time.

Tomkins seems to be a familiarisation call up only, unless 36, Barrit and Tuilagi all spontaneously combust. Thoughts on Fraiser?

Elliott still plays the vast majority of his rugby at 13. I reckon he's started on the wing as many times as at 15. But that's hardly surprising seeing as the club captain plays at 15!

Whilst I have faith in the England coaches, I wonder if Elliott would be seen as possible future England 15 if Will Greenwood hadn't suggested it!

The masters of hyperbole at Sky were likening Joel to SBW.

Its hilarious

I don't see what all the fuss is about Tomkins. Against Exeter last weekend he messed up the easiest three on one possible, hardly SBW like. I've also seen him make errors in defensive positioning at times as well. Certainly doesn't look that special, there are other English centres who have impressed me more than him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elliott still plays the vast majority of his rugby at 13. I reckon he's started on the wing as many times as at 15. But that's hardly surprising seeing as the club captain plays at 15!

Whilst I have faith in the England coaches, I wonder if Elliott would be seen as possible future England 15 if Will Greenwood hadn't suggested it!

Really? I know he played 13 a lot last season but almost every game I've seen this year he's been at 15. Regardless, he's been, in my opinion, one of the best backs in the Prem so far. I just struggle to see, injuries aside, who you bump out of the team to make way.

But but but, Joel Tomkin's brother is the Man of Steel (RL style, not DC comics) so he must be legit?

Out of interest duck, who aside from current England centers has impressed you more?

Really? I know he played 13 a lot last season but almost every game I've seen this year he's been at 15. Regardless, he's been, in my opinion, one of the best backs in the Prem so far. I just struggle to see, injuries aside, who you bump out of the team to make way.

But but but, Joel Tomkin's brother is the Man of Steel (RL style, not DC comics) so he must be legit?

Out of interest duck, who aside from current England centers has impressed you more?
_42348804_farrellaction270.jpg

"I'm a centre, No I'm a Flanker, no I'm a centre... I have no idea what I'm doing..."

Tomkins in the England setup = proof of Farrell's Sarries stranglehold over the English backline. :mad: I think that makes it all of the starting English qualified Sarries backs in the England squad other than Hodgson, who would be there if not for injury.

Meanwhile, no call-ups for any of Sharples, Monye, Wade, May, Biggs or Varndell.

Tomkins in the England setup = proof of Farrell's Sarries stranglehold over the English backline. :mad: I think that makes it all of the starting English qualified Sarries backs in the England squad other than Hodgson, who would be there if not for injury.

Meanwhile, no call-ups for any of Sharples, Monye, Wade, May, Biggs or Varndell.

What are your opinions on Wade? I watched the game on Sunday and have only really seen him three or four times before that but every time I see him I think that he is at least as good as if not better than whatever wings England currently have playing for them and far better than Strettle on the bench.

Wade is great ball in hand/going forwards. In defence however....
I hate saying a player is too small for international rugby, as there are a load of tiny players who have had great international careers, but he just gets brushed aside far far too easily in the tackle/at the ruck.
If I were to pick a Wasps winger to play for England tomorrow it would be Varndell. Wade is one for the future, but I wouldn't want him now (however I would have called him up instead of Tomkins, to train with the squad).

Varndell, I think, should be around the England (or at least Saxons) squad. His defence has improved massively over the past couple of seasons, and he's a fantastic finisher. He may not create a load of tries, but he sure knows how to get the ball down over the whitewash.
On better form than both Strettle and Ashton, and has been for a while now.

Last edited:
Wade has all the potential in the world, that said it's his second season as a breakthrough player and he's still very young. So long as the weight of expectancy isn't dumped upon him in massive doses, he should come good. I wouldn't fancy relying on him as a last defender or to be the man that defends a ruck though!

Having Varndell on the other wing weekly who's recently learned more then just running fast in a straight line is certainly helping him.

What are your opinions on Wade? I watched the game on Sunday and have only really seen him three or four times before that but every time I see him I think that he is at least as good as if not better than whatever wings England currently have playing for them and far better than Strettle on the bench.
Everything that Olyy said - bag of talent but not ready defensively. He needs time. I would be disappointed if he didn't get a good number of caps eventually. That said, I don't see him as any worse than Brown defensively on the wing. Wade is slight and can be caught out of position (a problem which would likely be even more exposed if he were to play left wing), Brown is slow and can be caught out of position.

My favourites would be Varndell and Monye at the minute. Monye fits the England style really well - great under the high ball and will be a force when linking with Youngs and Farrell. Varndell is a more prolific try scorer. Sharples is coming back to form and shouldn't be too far off. May is talented but can be a little overeager at times and sometimes tries to force things when there's nothing on - needs a full season on the wing first.

Last edited:
Monye and Varndell being touted as England first choice wingers, have we gone back to 2008?

As it is I actually quite like both players. Monye's certainly a very safe and reliable winger (and as a Quins fan I am a tad bias), while I have also liked Varndell for a while but like Mite said, I thought he could just run in streight lines.

Huge fan of Wade, most exciting outside back I've seen from England since Jason Robinson. That being said, if he's not making the tackles he may be in trouble. Can't be much older than 21-22 now though anyway, so still young.

Huge fan of Wade, most exciting outside back I've seen from England since Jason Robinson. That being said, if he's not making the tackles he may be in trouble. Can't be much older than 21-22 now though anyway, so still young.

He does make tackles, it's just that he often makes them on his second attempt once the player has brushed him off and he can tackle their legs, from behind. Not what you want on your 5 metre line.
It's not like the old Varndell situation, where he was just too much of a pussy to put himself in harms way.

Last edited:

Latest posts