• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v England - 19 August 2023

Nick Schonert
Not as dynamic as the likes of Sinckler but comfortably the best scrummaging option available

Call Warr in, then?
He's English, was the best 9 in the prem last season, and has been coached by and then played with one of our 10s. Seems a no brainer IMO

TBH I think there's players in almost every position we could call up. I'm not pessimistic about the player stocks, just the coaching/gameplans we're putting up at international level.

1. VRR/Obano
2. Langdon
3. Schonert
4/5. That's where it gets trickier, tbh, though I think our crop of locks is very good, just need the confidence/form
6/7. Doesn't need improvement, but there's Pearson and T.Willis in the background
8. T.Willis/Mercer
9. Warr
10. Doesn't need improvement, just needs the form/confidence back
11/14: Freeman, Murley, Radwan, Roebuck
12/13: Kelly, Dingwall
15: Doesn't really need it (I know it's in vogue to not like Steward atm but I still rate him - Watson would be my second choice), but there's Carpenter, who was one of the top 15s in the league last season, and if Arundell was deemed experienced enough then Joe certainly is
Same with 9, as 10, picked 3 different styles of player, so where is the actual plan, or plan B requires a completely different set of players!!!!
Feel sorry for both Spencer and Warr, both fit the sort of SH the 'plan' needs and were in form.
To not even get into training squad says a lot about the thinking at the time.

Good question about Kelly - although hes an out and out 12 not 13. Had a few injury hiccups but should have been in this squad. Again the only glimmer we have 3/4 actual 12s coming through who "could" finally give us the 12 we've missed since Greenwood.
The worst thing you can be to be selected at 12 for England is to be a 12 for your club.

Nick Schonert
Not as dynamic as the likes of Sinckler but comfortably the best scrummaging option available

Call Warr in, then?
He's English, was the best 9 in the prem last season, and has been coached by and then played with one of our 10s. Seems a no brainer IMO

TBH I think there's players in almost every position we could call up. I'm not pessimistic about the player stocks, just the coaching/gameplans we're putting up at international level.

1. VRR/Obano
2. Langdon
3. Schonert
4/5. That's where it gets trickier, tbh, though I think our crop of locks is very good, just need the confidence/form
6/7. Doesn't need improvement, but there's Pearson and T.Willis in the background
8. T.Willis/Mercer
9. Warr
10. Doesn't need improvement, just needs the form/confidence back
11/14: Freeman, Murley, Radwan, Roebuck
12/13: Kelly, Dingwall
15: Doesn't really need it (I know it's in vogue to not like Steward atm but I still rate him - Watson would be my second choice), but there's Carpenter, who was one of the top 15s in the league last season, and if Arundell was deemed experienced enough then Joe certainly is
This, people like to use player base as an excuse but I can go up and down that 15 and pick at least 2 players who are in better form, most of them for years, than some of the current players with exception of flankers where we are so well stocked its a case of picking wich suit the style best, and second row where all the talent is there just needs to be coached properly.

Even fullback, im not as high on steward as you are, I think he has potential and one standout skill, but in no way think he should be gaurenteed at this point. At least have other names there like you said carrpenter so its at least a competition.

Warr, mercer, radwan how you want to play this style and not select them is beyond me.

Same with 9, as 10, picked 3 different styles of player, so where is the actual plan, or plan B requires a completely different set of players!!!!
Feel sorry for both Spencer and Warr, both fit the sort of SH the 'plan' needs and were in form.
To not even get into training squad says a lot about the thinking at the time.
I could understand if they were thinking, you know, warr is inexperienced and not been in a camp, but spencer has been there done it, and executes this plan perfectly. Its not even as though the issue is game speed since youngs is being trotted out.

Personally warr is the form guy, fits the game plan, should be in.

This, people like to use player base as an excuse but I can go up and down that 15 and pick at least 2 players who are in better form, most of them for years, than some of the current players with exception of flankers where we are so well stocked its a case of picking wich suit the style best, and second row where all the talent is there just needs to be coached properly.

Even fullback, im not as high on steward as you are, I think he has potential and one standout skill, but in no way think he should be gaurenteed at this point. At least have other names there like you said carrpenter so its at least a competition.

Warr, mercer, radwan how you want to play this style and not select them is beyond me.
Exactly why SB is out of depth.
Eithet pick the players to suit a game plan and on form or

Pick players on form and then sort out a game plan

Exactly why SB is out of depth.
Eithet pick the players to suit a game plan and on form or

Pick players on form and then sort out a game plan
This is it for me, you can have system managers in football because you can just buy a swuad that fits. But even international maangement is differnt, more pragmatic to deal with what you have. Rugby is even more this case, the player pool is what it is, you build a system around your best players not try and fit players into your system. With how hard headed he has been so far, I dont doubt brothwick would be ggetting russel to play this style if scotland coach.

Latest posts