• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v New Zealand

Unfortunately I don't know what the solution is without supposedly depowering the hit. Perhaps the best course of action if present accepted scrummaging norms continue at pro level is to stop the clock when a scrum is called and only restart it once the scrum is completed.

In my opinion sequential engagement (both sets of front rows bind, then second rows attach followed by the backrow) will be brought in before too long to combat endless collapsed scrums and the glut of career ending injuries front rows are experiencing. It will depower the hit but the concept of "winning the hit" is a relatively new phenomenon brought about since the game went pro. When the game was still amateur, the packs bound relatively gently before shoving the life out of each other once the ball was put in. That's infinitely preferable to today's mess.

Snoop i've a feeling they'll be made speed it up again because there is too many early drives and well this seems to be as good a chance as any of causing free kicks, penalties or injuries

from that samoa result I'd be suprised if the AB's didn't put 35+ points over the Irish, and lets face it there is the potential for it to be a lot worse. And with the AB's defence so good do the Irish actually have the firepower to score a try?

from that samoa result I'd be suprised if the AB's didn't put 35+ points over the Irish, and lets face it there is the potential for it to be a lot worse. And with the AB's defence so good do the Irish actually have the firepower to score a try?

They deffinatly have the fire power and potetial. its whether they can use, which at the moment I doubt they can.

The issues over setting the scrum come about due to an IRB directive overseen by the disastrous Paddy O'Brien.

Time to educate more people on how things are done at the iRB

You are completely wrong! Paddy O'Brien has NOTHING to do with the IRB directive on scrum engagement, other than to promulgate it to referees at all levels.

All IRB directives are formulated by a designated Rugby Committee, the members of which change according to the task at hand.

Blaming POB for the current woes with the scrum engagement is like blaming the postmaster when the postman delivers a "Dear John" letter from your (now ex) girlfriend.

Last edited:
All IRB directives are formulated by a designated Rugby Committee, the members of which change according to the task at hand.
Like the Laws Project Group?

Laws Project Group*:
Bill Nolan (Laws Project Group Chairman), Dr Syd Millar (Laws Project Group), Bruce Cook (Laws Project Group/IRB Development Manager), Ian McIntosh (Laws Project Group), Dr Mick Molloy (Laws Project Group/IRB Medical Officer), Graham Mourie (Chairman of IRB Rugby Committee & Laws Project Group), Paddy O'Brien (Laws Project Group/IRB Referee Manager), Pierre Villepreux (Laws Project Group), Richie Dixon (Laws Project Group), Rod Macqueen (Laws Project Group)

*from the IRB website

O'Brien has no feel for the game and is a blight on the sport.

Like the Laws Project Group?

Laws Project Group*:
Bill Nolan (Laws Project Group Chairman), Dr Syd Millar (Laws Project Group), Bruce Cook (Laws Project Group/IRB Development Manager), Ian McIntosh (Laws Project Group), Dr Mick Molloy (Laws Project Group/IRB Medical Officer), Graham Mourie (Chairman of IRB Rugby Committee & Laws Project Group), Paddy O'Brien (Laws Project Group/IRB Referee Manager), Pierre Villepreux (Laws Project Group), Richie Dixon (Laws Project Group), Rod Macqueen (Laws Project Group)

*from the IRB website

O'Brien has no feel for the game and is a blight on the sport.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You browse to the IRB website, and latch on the first thing you find with POB's name on it.

Do you actually have any idea who and what the Laws Project Group were?

Obviously not.

The Laws Project Group were formed in 2006. They were the group that came out with the ELVs.

The Laws Project Group no longer exists. It was dissolved shortly after 31 March 2009 when the IRB adopted changes to Laws 6, 17, 19, 20 and 22, i.e., when the recommended ELV's became Laws of the Game. And even if it did still exist, it would have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the current scrum engagement issue, because it is not within their purview!!!

The directive to slow down the Scrum Engagement Sequence came from Designated Members of the IRB's Rugby Committee. That directive was passed to the Referee manager for distribution to other referees at all levels. I know this because, as a former referee and referee assesor, I am on the distribution list, and received a copy!!

I reiterate,

PADDY OBRIEN DOES NOT MAKE DECISIONS OFF HIS OWN BAT!!!!!!!!!
He is part of a decision making process that involves a number of knowledgeable people who consult widely within the rugby community.

PS: For what its worth, I agree with those who think that the current scrum engagement sequence is too slow. It causes more trouble that it fixes.

I am currently embroiled in a robust discussion on the Rugbyrefs forum on this very topic, but I'm afraid in am in a minority there.

Last edited:
What I mean is that the AB scrum is one of their weakest points I'm not saying its poor it is definatly internationally class but what other thing in the AB game is weaker. Against England the main thing england beat NZ in was the scrum and I can't think of much else hence my point being the scrum is not NZ strongest asset.
This is a common misconception this year. True, it hasn't been strong as it can be, but it would actually be one of our strongest assets.

Mike Cron makes sure of that.
You have no idea what you are talking about. You browse to the IRB website, and latch on the first thing you find with POB's name on it.

Do you actually have any idea who and what the Laws Project Group were?

Obviously not.

The Laws Project Group were formed in 2006. They were the group that came out with the ELVs.

The Laws Project Group no longer exists. It was dissolved shortly after 31 March 2009 when the IRB adopted changes to Laws 6, 17, 19, 20 and 22, i.e., when the recommended ELV's became Laws of the Game. And even if it did still exist, it would have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the current scrum engagement issue, because it is not within their purview!!!

The directive to slow down the Scrum Engagement Sequence came from Designated Members of the IRB's Rugby Committee. That directive was passed to the Referee manager for distribution to other referees at all levels. I know this because, as a former referee and referee assesor, I am on the distribution list, and received a copy!!

I reiterate,

PADDY OBRIEN DOES NOT MAKE DECISIONS OFF HIS OWN BAT!!!!!!!!!
He is part of a decision making process that involves a number of knowledgeable people who consult widely within the rugby community.

PS: For what its worth, I agree with those who think that the current scrum engagement sequence is too slow. It causes more trouble that it fixes.

I am currently embroiled in a robust discussion on the Rugbyrefs forum on this very topic, but I'm afraid in am in a minority there.
May I say, and to quote Marshall Eriksen (of How I Met your Mother) "Lawyered!"

both fiji and tonga had second string teams against what was close to samoas best team, the samoan team in the PNC wasn't too different from the one they have now and Fiji's team were almost entirely local fijian club based players. yes samoa hadn't had time to gel but neither did the other island teams

Yeah, the Samoan team in the PNC was much closer to a full strength team than the Fiji team was - if these two teams played each other at full strength I'd expect it would be much closer.

Onto the AB's v Ireland match - by the sounds of it there won't be too many changes to the AB's team. I'm expecting there will be 4-5 changes, as there has been each week so far on the tour. Up front I'd expect Franks (or possibly Woodcock) to be rested, with Afoa given the start, while they may start Hore at hooker if they think he is capable of playing 40-50 mins. The only other change they may make in the pack is starting Messem at 8, to give Read a rest. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Messem, but they do need to give him a start at 8 if he is going to be Read's backup going into the RWC.

In the backs, I'd expect they will start again with Cowan, but really hope they do have Mathewson on the bench rather than Ellis. The midfield combo will be interesting - I'd expect they will go back to the Nonu/Smith combo, but wouldn't mind seeing the SBW/Smith combo again. It sounds like Jane will be back this week so I'd expect him to start on the wing, and they will have to choose between Gear, Toeava, and Rococoko for the other wing.

Yeah, the Samoan team in the PNC was much closer to a full strength team than the Fiji team was - if these two teams played each other at full strength I'd expect it would be much closer.

Onto the AB's v Ireland match - by the sounds of it there won't be too many changes to the AB's team. I'm expecting there will be 4-5 changes, as there has been each week so far on the tour. Up front I'd expect Franks (or possibly Woodcock) to be rested, with Afoa given the start, while they may start Hore at hooker if they think he is capable of playing 40-50 mins. The only other change they may make in the pack is starting Messem at 8, to give Read a rest. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Messem, but they do need to give him a start at 8 if he is going to be Read's backup going into the RWC.

In the backs, I'd expect they will start again with Cowan, but really hope they do have Mathewson on the bench rather than Ellis. The midfield combo will be interesting - I'd expect they will go back to the Nonu/Smith combo, but wouldn't mind seeing the SBW/Smith combo again. It sounds like Jane will be back this week so I'd expect him to start on the wing, and they will have to choose between Gear, Toeava, and Rococoko for the other wing.
Would definitely have Mathewson on for Ellis. Seriously don't know why he's there...

Would have like to see Braid start against Scotland, though it doesn't look like we'll see a start from him anytime soon.

I've decided we're going to win. Sexton to **** on Carter, Drico to offload out of a SBW tackle setting up a lovely try for Fitzy, Toner to steal half of New Zealand's lineout ball and Rog to try and balls it up in the final 10. Lovely.

Feic that'd be a difference from last 2 weeks when it ROG that pulling us through and Sexton been the dodgy 10. :D
So let's hope Sexton pulls the finger out and for once delivers.

Feic that'd be a difference from last 2 weeks when it ROG that pulling us through and Sexton been the dodgy 10. :D
So let's hope Sexton pulls the finger out and for once delivers.

********. Two charged down kicks against the Samoans and throwing the ball over his head in his own dead ball area. Don't get me started on that stupid kick at the end of the SA game either. Seriously, with 30 seconds left and two points down why did he kick the ball back to them??? Idiocy.

Sexton had to deal with a very poor Reddan and a pack going backwards against South Africa and didn't feature against Samoa. Hardly misfiring.

Well that your opinion but well if you asked most people and read over the forums the majority will say ROG is the in form 10 and fair enough he missed kick against SA but he did create try with vision for kick.
And Sexton in 6Nations was stop and go.

********. Two charged down kicks against the Samoans and throwing the ball over his head in his own dead ball area. Don't get me started on that stupid kick at the end of the SA game either. Seriously, with 30 seconds left and two points down why did he kick the ball back to them??? Idiocy.

Sexton had to deal with a very poor Reddan and a pack going backwards against South Africa and didn't feature against Samoa. Hardly misfiring.

I agree every time Sexton has played poorly is because his pack and 9 has given him crap ball in which he cannot create anything with. don't get me wrong O'Gara has improved greatly since Sextons competition but Sexton really needs consistant game time as he still hasn't got a real feeling of proper international rugby. I don't think Sexton was poor against SA it was just his style of play did not fit the game and conditions. I think its great that we have 2 internationally class fly halves fighting for the shirt but Sexton is the future for Ireland.

What did the South Africans use to poison the All Blacks in 95? I mite need to buy some of that...

My team:

1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Ross
4. CULLEN (PLEASE, DEC, PLEASE!!)
5. O'Callaghan
6. Ferris
7. O'Brien
8. Heaslip
9. Stringer
10. Sexton
11. Fitzgerald