• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRFU RWC 2023 Bid Officially Confirmed

There were some embankments, like near Wikato Stadium, that people were sitting on because of how the landscape is crafted. It doesn't matter what capacity our stadiums were, that would still happen. Why not go down for a gander if you can do so for free? That happens often, not just through world cups.

You have no idea what you're talking about. And again, no nation DESERVES this World Cup. "But we haven't hosted one yet" is not a reason. I don't give a toss what you've hosted. Antarctica haven't hosted one either. Doesn't mean jack. You are not entitled to anything. This is why people think you guys whinge too much.

But so far not 1 Irish person has said its because we deserve it but more we've a solid bid and your saying people got to watch World Cup games for free in NZ?

Ireland would be a better choice than Italy. Rugby is not very popular in Italy, for example we were not able to make a professional team in Rome to play in the Pro 12. We would have to try and use soccer stadiums, but it would be in their season, so it would be very hard. Also I think attendance for small games would not be very good.

But I would like it! :D

My point exactly regards Italy. Sport is still growing there and I'd have no fears of them hosting but would they get stadiums off soccer and would they compete with soccer attendances. Also people fail to realise that stadiums like San Siro and Olympic stadium are used every weekend. When Inter are away AC Milan are home etc and same with Lazio and Roma.

Right. I'm not sure if you're aware - but Australia, New Zealand and South Africa are all separated by a large body of water called the Indian Ocean and Tasman Sea. The ability to go and watch a game doesn't depend so much on a train ride or €50 flight... The point that the UK (and I did in fact mean the United Kingdom) has hosted matches in every second RWC - where there has been plenty of opportunity to see a Rugby World Cup match - has got to come to an end. It is an old boys club where every union votes for their own interests, so they just share RWC matches knowing they have a monopoly on the vote.
United Kingdom has 64 million people living here, Ireland adding another 4.5 million and France over the channel with 66.5 million.

England has a population density of 419 people per sq km. (Of the 100 most populated countries in the world, England would rank 4th as the most dense.) This is important because you have so many people packed close together that geography becomes less of a problem for watching games. You could literally watch any game set anywhere in the country and get home on the same day.

All that competition for tickets, and you think that I would have the same chance of catching a big game in 2015 as you did in 2011?

And what do you mean by the UK hosting games every second WC? Two times out of seven isn't really every second WC... (provided you aren't including 6 games that Wales and Scotland had to bid for as part of that number... that would be really silly).

Besides, the Rugby World Cup isn't there for the altruistic purpose of granting each nation a chance of watching it. There are more factors to consider, including broadcasting (playing at good times during the 6N/South African time zones allow the World Cup to reach an overwhelming percentage of the most populated rugby nations), growth of the sport, financial details etc.

Last edited:
people were sitting on hills to watch some of the games in 2011 in NZ. Ireland certainly has all the infastructure (+more) to host the world cup comfortably. Laughable criticism coming from NZ

My comments on the Irish stadium situation was made after reading several comments from Irish posters:

And the majority of them (GAA Stadiums) are terrible.

And I doubt IRFU will plough millions in to upgrading them for sake of few weeks. Also having played intercounty GAA I can easily say some of these stadiums changing room and medical facilities are some of worst in world with benches etc there since before the 60's

1. The GAA stadiums generally don't have all the fancy appendages of modern arenas - but who cares. Your there to watch/win a match, not admire how plush the seat in the stand or changing room is.
2. The potential venues are numerous... the potential venues that are suitable to rugby and big enough for the expected attendance are less numerous. One could argue all the GAA pitches are completely unsuited due to the pitch size difference.

For a World Cup you need at least basic facilities and most GAA stadiums don't have that especially when it comes to medical areas.

If you read this thread you will find a good discussion amongst the Irish forumers about whether or not the GAA stadiums are good enough. So I was just politely sharing a potential concern which Irish posters themselves had raised in the past. I haven't been to any GAA stadiums so I was going off of Irish opinions. I was not trying to get into one of the "let's beat our chests because my country is better than yours" discussions which occur far too often on here. For the record, all of the stadia used in our World Cup bid had either been built or upgraded significantly after 2000 (except for NHS which was opened in 1997). For New Zealand there were questions about the size of our stadia and the quality of our transport and accommodation. However, there were never any concerns about the facilities at our stadia (such as broadcasting facilities, changing rooms etc) which were all excellent. In the thread I linked MunsterMuffin had this to say about New Zealand and Irish infrastructure:

In RWC 11 each game had 10 tv broadcasters 50-60 radio stations and also about same newspapers. For a RWC places like Thomond would even need to upgrade. Yes all Kiwi stadiums had the required broadcasting according to Ryle Nuggent of RTE when he did an article before and was there.

Obviously Ireland can upgrade their stadia but of course that begs a question of the Irish people whether the tax payer money is a worthwhile spend. Even if the stadia are upgraded then to what standard will it be upgraded too? Unfortunaetly Ireland are not bidding against New Zealand in 2023. If you compare the Irish stadiums to South Africa or Italy where no upgrades would be needed (imagining a hypothetical world where Italian football stadiums could be used) then the Irish bid will be starting on the back foot. This isn't to say Ireland doesn't have some advantages over South Africa/Italy either. Ireland's biggest advantage is they may be able to host a tournament that the whole island can get behind fully.....kind of like New Zealand.

- - - Updated - - -

But so far not 1 Irish person has said its because we deserve it but more we've a solid bid and your saying people got to watch World Cup games for free in NZ?
We deserve it, us and Scotland are the only traditional rugby nations not to host one and rugby will be too big, hopefully, for Ireland to host one any later. If it went to South Africa I'd be very disappointed, they have te ability to host it no matter how big the sport gets.

To be fair he was the only one who made the comment but I thought it was worth making an example of.

My comments on the Irish stadium situation was made after reading several comments from Irish posters:

If you read this thread you will find a good discussion amongst the Irish forumers about whether or not the GAA stadiums are good enough. So I was just politely sharing a potential concern which Irish posters themselves had raised in the past. I haven't been to any GAA stadiums so I was going off of Irish opinions. I was not trying to get into one of the "let's beat our chests because my country is better than yours" discussions which occur far too often on here. For the record, all of the stadia used in our World Cup bid had either been built or upgraded significantly after 2000 (except for NHS which was opened in 1997). For New Zealand there were questions about the size of our stadia and the quality of our transport and accommodation. However, there were never any concerns about the facilities at our stadia (such as broadcasting facilities, changing rooms etc) which were all excellent. In the thread I linked MunsterMuffin had this to say about New Zealand and Irish infrastructure:

In RWC 11 each game had 10 tv broadcasters 50-60 radio stations and also about same newspapers. For a RWC places like Thomond would even need to upgrade. Yes all Kiwi stadiums had the required broadcasting according to Ryle Nuggent of RTE when he did an article before and was there.

Obviously Ireland can upgrade their stadia but of course that begs a question of the Irish people whether the tax payer money is a worthwhile spend. Even if the stadia are upgraded then to what standard will it be upgraded too? Unfortunaetly Ireland are not bidding against New Zealand in 2023. If you compare the Irish stadiums to South Africa or Italy where no upgrades would be needed (imagining a hypothetical world where Italian football stadiums could be used) then the Irish bid will be starting on the back foot. This isn't to say Ireland doesn't have some advantages over South Africa/Italy either. Ireland's biggest advantage is they may be able to host a tournament that the whole island can get behind fully.....kind of like New Zealand.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair he was the only one who made the comment but I thought it was worth making an example of.

Ah come on man, I said that after a pretty heavy night out and have made far more solid arguments since, I'd honestly forgotten Id made it and was wondering where it came from. If that's the only place the whole "nobody deserves a RWC" comes from it's been played to death, I honestly thought someone had said it as part of the bid and it wasn't just one prick on the internet who had started the whole dilemma! :p

As as for the GAA stadia, I'm pretty sure that was before the announcement of the upgrades to Cork's and Belfast's stadiums, with rugby and GAA stadia we have 1 state of the art 80,000 searter, three state of the art 45,000+ seaters and another three rugby stadiums perfectly capable of hosting group stage games, something would also have to be done in Galway so you coil make that 4.

- - - Updated - - -

This was me saying a lot were poor and that if they'd to pay for upgrades to GAA stadiums and rent then it'd be tough. Since then the GAA have waived rents in return for grants from government over years. As I said that thread is old and since then the funding block has been solved and the fact the a Northern Government has joined funding is a lot better.

If you go to Italy you'd see they need upgrades too and again let's see the bids of others before deciding.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-vide...planning-permission-denied-for-casement-park/

All this for nothing! Without Casement we haven't a bid! Hopefully they appeal and it's successful, more for the fact that Ulster GAA is in dire need of a state of the art stadium than anything else.
It's hard to slam the residents as they do have legit claims but hopefully an agreement is reached. And it was going to be a stadium used by all sports. As I said all along it's up to us to bring the best bid to this and hopefully we can sort it out in time. Agree that Ulster GAA do badly need a stadium up there though.

It's hard to slam the residents as they do have legit claims but hopefully an agreement is reached. And it was going to be a stadium used by all sports. As I said all along it's up to us to bring the best bid to this and hopefully we can sort it out in time. Agree that Ulster GAA do badly need a stadium up there though.

the court didn't overturn the environment ministers decision.

i have no doubt casement will go ahead just after the residents have been compensated

the court didn't overturn the environment ministers decision.

i have no doubt casement will go ahead just after the residents have been compensated
I didn't actually catch the full result of it so why was it stopped - Wasn't that the issue halting it?
But hopefully you are right and it does go ahead.

Latest posts