IRFU RWC 2023 Bid Officially Confirmed

munstermuffin

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
I'm on phone but just to break news if someone can upload link.
But both Republic and Northern Ireland Governments have backed the bid by IRFU for RWC 2023.
The GAA have also allowed all stadia to be used and reduce rental fees by 75%

I'm on phone but just to break news if someone can upload link.
But both Republic and Northern Ireland Governments have backed the bid by IRFU for RWC 2023.
The GAA have also allowed all stadia to be used and reduce rental fees by 75%

Was going to say, without that it would be tough to stage a WC on just the 4/5 province grounds + Aviva.

Was going to say, without that it would be tough to stage a WC on just the 4/5 province grounds + Aviva.
The reports I'm hearing are the GAA will get funding but also see it as an opportunity to bring fans to local GAA games and promote the game which is great for them. There will be Casement Park, I presume Pairc Ui Chaoimh will be used over Musgrave Park in Cork as it'll be bigger and being redeveloped now and of course theres talk Limericks GAA ground will be used as well as Thomond Park. Add in Portlaois and there's loads of options. Galway with get game too. Now that costs have been agreed with GAA and it's good for everyone we've more than enough stadiums.
And by then you'll have motorway the whole way around so can reach anywhere from anywhere in 4.5 hours or so by then.
Even now you can get from Cork to Belfast in well under 5 hours which is great

We deserve it, us and Scotland are the only traditional rugby nations not to host one and rugby will be too big, hopefully, for Ireland to host one any later. If it went to South Africa I'd be very disappointed, they have te ability to host it no matter how big the sport gets.

Stadium wise we could easily do it there'll be, at minimum 3 state of the art stadiums with 45,000+ capacity, another three which aren't quite as good but have the same capacities and then the provincial grounds for smaller games. Only downside is that it'd be our worst World Cup ever and that says something!

croke
the aviva
casement should be done and all fancy by then and its hardly as if antrim are going to be using it

semple? MacHale ?

We deserve it, us and Scotland are the only traditional rugby nations not to host one and rugby will be too big, hopefully, for Ireland to host one any later. If it went to South Africa I'd be very disappointed, they have te ability to host it no matter how big the sport gets.

Stadium wise we could easily do it there'll be, at minimum 3 state of the art stadiums with 45,000+ capacity, another three which aren't quite as good but have the same capacities and then the provincial grounds for smaller games. Only downside is that it'd be our worst World Cup ever and that says something!
Thomond Park and Ravenhill will be bigger than some in NZ for QF's. Pairc Ui Chiomh, Casement Park, Aviva and Croker all big enough. Throw in few others and then we will be fine. I'm sure that there will be expansions and renovations too if need be

Ireland Declares Intention to Bid for RWC2023

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30344778

Much as I am very excited about this - I'm sceptical as to whether it will be successful. It looks like potentially SA, Italy and Argentina will also bid. Whilst Ireland would have the stadia and infastructure I have doubts about whether the IRB will want to award it to another 'small' country considering the much talked about financial shortfall following the NZ RWC.

Much as I am very excited about this - I'm sceptical as to whether it will be successful. It looks like potentially SA, Italy and Argentina will also bid. Whilst Ireland would have the stadia and infastructure I have doubts about whether the IRB will want to award it to another 'small' country considering the much talked about financial shortfall following the NZ RWC.
I may be wrong here but would we have funding from UK too as Northern Ireland is part of the bid too? I think we'd be alot more comfortable as we are easier located for most than NZ were. Like even alot of NZ and Aus fans live in UK would come over as they do every November etc.

I'm not against Ireland hosting the World Cup by any means. I think they would do a terrific job. However, I do wonder if the stadiums are really of a high enough quality. Some of the stadiums seem to have a lot of standing room and I wonder if they have the broadcasting facilities as well. When you are going up against Italy and South Africa then I think you are going to have a very tough sell.

Guarantee that Ireland's bid has the Millennium Stadium and Murrayfield involved, to secure the Scottish/Welsh votes (much like the RWC2015 has the MilStad).

I don't like that. I would be happy for two of those countries to jointly host it but just a couple of games in another country is disappointing.

I may be wrong here but would we have funding from UK too as Northern Ireland is part of the bid too? I think we'd be alot more comfortable as we are easier located for most than NZ were. Like even alot of NZ and Aus fans live in UK would come over as they do every November etc.

How popular is rugby in Ireland? Is it a middle class sport over there? Or a sport only popular in a few regions?are all games likely to sell out?

I know it's a few questions to answer:D
Get back to me when you can please munstermuffin

Oh well, all power to them. As long as the pitches don't rip up like those Asian ones in Japan and Hong Kong. Hopefully they have stadiums with sufficient capacity as well. Don't mind if Millennium get the odd match, but not dramatically so - the bulk of it should definitely be Ireland's.

Being from a small nation myself, I always like a story where the little guy gets to shine. Rugby is pretty well established in South Africa. Maybe this could gain more traction in Ireland over the likes of soccer (football). Same with Italy. Bet there is some pretty historic venues over there that would host an epic final. Not sure about the pitch for them though.

I would like to think that the Rugby World Cup is at a stage where it should get good crowds in any reasonable rugby nation. I think you see in England with the overwhelming demand for tickets that the event sort of sells itself.

would be great for Ireland, this goes in line with every positive thing happening for Irish Rugby lately: the Schmidt era, latest 6N ***le, the promises for the next RWC in London...obviously 2023 is a fkng decade from now, but right now it feels like everything's just about happening for Ireland. Thinking about it with a caricature-scope today, as cmac hints at (humbly, it should be noted -_- ), would Ireland get it it may turn out to actually work against the national team's success. Then again, we haven't ever seen it happen (Ire hosting a Cup integrally), so we can't tell.

I can't see it being a problem to be honest ... The NZ government had to underwrite the RWC 2011, in the event of a loss, so I'd imagine that that's probably what World Rugby will ask for

... Ireland are nice and close (geographically) to other rugby playing nations, so their stadiums will definitely be full

How popular is rugby in Ireland? Is it a middle class sport over there? Or a sport only popular in a few regions?are all games likely to sell out?

I know it's a few questions to answer:D
Get back to me when you can please munstermuffin

It's a rapid growing sport here and huge in nearly every parish and city now. Not just 1 region but all over the island. In RWC all big games would sell out and minnows games would sell well as usually a lot of kids teams etc would be brought to them.

Latest posts