Irish in Japan! (RWC 2019)

Damien Coughlan

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
Hi all, Damien here.

I am going to Japan next year! I was 90% decided up until this week but I just got match tickets for IRL v SCO & JPN v IRL so that sealed the deal.

Anyway, I'll most likely be going alone and I've been working on a pretty comprehensive 20-day itinerary that will get me to both games and hit all the spots I want to visit and activities I'd like to do.

I'm quite an independent traveller but I'm looking for are opportunities to meet up with some other Irish fans along the way, and any other fans who would like to have a bit of craic.

Basically, where are people going and when? Where are they staying, eating, and drinking? Which games are they going to and what are they doing before and afterwards?

For example:
20-Sep: Opening game/ceremony. I'll be in Tokyo. Meet up for a pint and watch it in an Irish bar?

22-Sep: I see there are 3 Irish bars in Yokohama for gathering before and/or after the Scotland game: The Green Sheep, Pub Snug, and Irish Pub Celts. Anyone about?

28-Sep: For the Japan game, I plan to stay in Hamamatsu as the stadium is a bit in the middle of nowhere and commute there and back. Where are people thinking of staying?

29-Sep: After the Japan game I want to spend a day or two in Nagoya and was going to watch some games and do some drinking in the numerous Irish, Aussie and Sports bars there. Anyone be about?

Then I'm going to the Kyoto which is on the way to Kobe for Ireland's next game and the adventure continues from there including day trips, mountain hikes and train rides...

I have the whole thing planned out in excel that I will post later but for now, just wondering who's thinking in the same lines.

If your priorities are Irish company and Irish bars, have you thought about going to Ireland for the World Cup?!?

Hi all, Damien here.

I am going to Japan next year! I was 90% decided up until this week but I just got match tickets for IRL v SCO & JPN v IRL so that sealed the deal.

Anyway, I'll most likely be going alone and I've been working on a pretty comprehensive 20-day itinerary that will get me to both games and hit all the spots I want to visit and activities I'd like to do.

I'm quite an independent traveller but I'm looking for are opportunities to meet up with some other Irish fans along the way, and any other fans who would like to have a bit of craic.

Basically, where are people going and when? Where are they staying, eating, and drinking? Which games are they going to and what are they doing before and afterwards?

For example:
20-Sep: Opening game/ceremony. I'll be in Tokyo. Meet up for a pint and watch it in an Irish bar?

22-Sep: I see there are 3 Irish bars in Yokohama for gathering before and/or after the Scotland game: The Green Sheep, Pub Snug, and Irish Pub Celts. Anyone about?

28-Sep: For the Japan game, I plan to stay in Hamamatsu as the stadium is a bit in the middle of nowhere and commute there and back. Where are people thinking of staying?

29-Sep: After the Japan game I want to spend a day or two in Nagoya and was going to watch some games and do some drinking in the numerous Irish, Aussie and Sports bars there. Anyone be about?

Then I'm going to the Kyoto which is on the way to Kobe for Ireland's next game and the adventure continues from there including day trips, mountain hikes and train rides...

I have the whole thing planned out in excel that I will post later but for now, just wondering who's thinking in the same lines.

Halloo Damien

I'm similar in that I'm quite independent Irish fan based in Scotland but wanting to catch the early games ...planning on hosteling and surfing in between...happy to watch games in a bar and go if I get a ticket on the day, booked K's place in Taito for Scotland game...but not sure where the best base is for japan game?

Latest posts