• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is Beale the real deal?

T

timmyhoran

I watched Rays v Rams and I thought Kurtley Beale was outstanding. He's still only 18. Larkam was 21 when he was playing for the brumbies at fullback in '96 and 23 when he started at 10 for the Wallabies in 98, so Beale's got a lot of physical/rugby brain development ahead of him. He could be the next Ella. I wouldn't mind seeing him at 12 for the Wallabies next year. He's definately got the pace for it. Give him some time there to settle into international rugby. Remember both Michael Lynagh and Daniel Carter started there careers at 12. Wilkonson used to play 12 outside Rob Andrew at Newcastle when he started. I think Australia should go all out on attack next year and try and put a lot of skill in the 9,10,12 postions and try a play a brand of rugby never seen before. Some of the combos that might work.

9. Holmes/Burgess 9. Giteau

10. Giteau 10. Barnes

12. Beale 12. Beale

I'm still not sold on Quade Cooper. He drops a lot of ball and needs a few more seasons in the gym. Even though I'm a reds fan I'd like to see either Cooper or Lucas go to the Force or Brumbies to spread the 5/8 talent across the 4 provinces and give them quality game time. We have so many good young player in Australia and a lot of expeirenced young players. I'd like to see Scott Johnson as coach with Foley as forwards coach. I'm very optermistic about the near future.

Josh Holmes is going to be a superstar. IRB U-21 Player of the Year last year, his games for the tahs last year showed he has massive potential. I'm hoping he can become the wallabies 9 very soon. I'm surprised Burgess went to NSW, the idiots in charge there seem to see something in sheehan and valentine which i certainly can't figure out

future wallabies backline, looks awesome to me

9 Holmes
10 Beale
11 Mitchell
12 Giteau
13 Barnes (needs some size though)
14 Turner
15 Ashley-Cooper

quade cooper has a nice step, and boat load of talent. but yea he needs to make his passes, and receptions stick. beale should play abit a 12. see how he performs under pressure and mature to get that "cool head" you need to play at 10.

Josh Holmes is going to be a superstar. IRB U-21 Player of the Year last year, his games for the tahs last year showed he has massive potential. I'm hoping he can become the wallabies 9 very soon. I'm surprised Burgess went to NSW, the idiots in charge there seem to see something in sheehan and valentine which i certainly can't figure out

future wallabies backline, looks awesome to me

9 Holmes
10 Beale
11 Mitchell
12 Giteau
13 Barnes (needs some size though)
14 Turner
15 Ashley-Cooper [/b]

That's a pretty small backline. Where are you going to get some go forward from? Barnes at 13?? He's to small and to slow. The rest I think is pretty good. I'd go for.

9. Holmes

10. Giteau

11. Tuqiri (expeienced, big, strong, fast and ARU signed him for 4 years so he'll be there)

12. Beale

13. Ashley-Cooper (Morlock will probably play 1 or two more seasons)

14. Turner (Will be our best winger since Ben Tune)

15. Gerard (Hasn't lived up to his potential yet. Huge boot so we can play field psoition. Also very expienced for a 25 year old)

Back-ups: Burgess, Barnes, Ioane, Shepard, Mitchell, Rathbone

I'm now convinced that Beale is infact 'the real deal' but he wont be ready for test rugby until he's played a good year or two of S14 rugby at flyhalf - with Ewan prefering to play SNK @10, i'm not sure when that'll happen.His defence is far to poor to be seriously considered as an international 12 though.

9. Holmes

10. Giteau

11. Tuqiri (expeienced, big, strong, fast and ARU signed him for 4 years so he'll be there)

12. Beale

13. Ashley-Cooper (Morlock will probably play 1 or two more seasons)

14. Turner (Will be our best winger since Ben Tune)

15. Gerard (Hasn't lived up to his potential yet. Huge boot so we can play field psoition. Also very expienced for a 25 year old)
[/b]

If you're talking about 3-4 years time...

*I'd put Giteau back to 12 (Faingaa could also be an option in a few years)

*One of Barnes,Beale,Cooper or Lucas at 10

*Replace Tuqiri with Caleb Brown (trust me)

*Shepherd is a certainty for fullback - Gerrard can F-off. :)

I reckon AAC could have a real fight on his hands for the #13 jersey with Timana Tahu and Blair Connor once Stirlo retires.I'd also like to see how Caleb Brown would go at 13 for the Reds, he's certainly got the size.

ps. I'm gonna move this thread to the Southern Hemisphere forum

I believe Adam Ashley-Cooper will be a future star outside centre.

He's had such a great year and I think he can only get better.

The way he's able to shrug off several defenders and score 50m tries in amazing.

I honestly don't think Tahu will pose any threat to Ashley-Cooper. Like most league converts I feel he's going to produce a lot of sideways running and get caught out in defence ala Tuqiri.

I've been impressed with Ryan Cross but he's not as good as Ashley-Cooper.

Anyways, Beale is improving which is a good sign. I honestly don't see him being considered for a Wallabies jersey for another few years though.

I was actually more impressed with Quade Cooper this year despite some of his nervous drop balls.

I've been a big fan of Barnes since last year and Connolly was an idiot not to play him against Wales or Fiji.

He's got an excellent passing game ala Larkham, and his tactical kicking is pretty good.

Possible future Wallabies in a few years -

9. Holmes
10. Barnes
11. Turner
12. Giteau
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. Ioane
15. Shepherd

I think Tuqiri is on a downhill slide.

Did anybody see Beale's game for the Rams against the Rebels this weekend? That was pretty damn amazing. Every single time he had the ball he looked dangerous...not just with his own running and kicking but in his passing game as well. Controlled the play beautifully, just like a good 10 should.

Did anybody see Beale's game for the Rams against the Rebels this weekend? That was pretty damn amazing. Every single time he had the ball he looked dangerous...not just with his own running and kicking but in his passing game as well. Controlled the play beautifully, just like a good 10 should.
[/b]

He looked pretty good. As did Lealifaano (man of the match) for the Vikings.

When these two meet up it's going to be an epic battle.

Kurtley Beale is most definately the real deal.
He showed great promise this season for the Waratahs and in the Australian competition has been dominant for the Rams.
I would pick him over Barnes as he is an electric player and has shown how great his potential is.
Fitting him into centre could work as he is a strong runner and has great pace.
However, he needs to work on his defence and this could prove to be a problem at centre.

He showed great promise this season for the Waratahs and in the Australian competition has been dominant for the Rams.
I would pick him over Barnes as he is an electric player and has shown how great his potential is.
However, he needs to work on his defence and this could prove to be a problem at centre.
[/b]

I disagree.

He's been great in the ARC but wasn't very impressive at all for the Waratahs, and was clearly outclassed by Barnes in the Pacific Nations.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

I disagree.

He's been great in the ARC but wasn't very impressive at all for the Waratahs, and was clearly outclassed by Barnes in the Pacific Nations.
[/b][/quote]
But god forbid if everyone ever thinks that Beale is anything less then Jesus Christ the second coming. :p

It reminds me of the hype around some young English football players, they seem to have talent, are constantly spoken about being the one to rule the world through thier play yet ultimately are largely under-done and either get a huge ego or play the game adequately, yet not as a world beater...

Give him a few years before you throw him into the fray, as he can play lower stages adequately yet is underdone in the upper stages, as has been proved...

Indeed.

This is why I prefer Berrick Barnes. Despite being surrounded by a woeful team he's looked the goods in the Super 14.

He may have come around too late, but I'm glad Connolly selected him for the World Cup. Although he should've been blooded in the earlier tests against Wales and Fiji.

All the hype on Beale has shadowed the talents of Christian Lealiifano who I think is every bit as good as Beale. In fact, they both have a very similar style.

Anyways, hopefully the confidence these guys get in the ARC can help them with the transition up to Super 14.

Norton-Knight has lost his spark and will only make for an average playmaker for the Tahs.

In regards to the Brumbies - Huxley will do OK with all the talent surrounding him, but he's never really looked that good at flyhalf and definately is a far superior player at fullback or inside centre. The timing of some of his passes in the Super 14 got a little cringeworthy.

Personally, I'd also like to see Fairbanks relegated to the bench for someone better. Hopefully Anthony Faingaa can make something for himself in the ARC.

I would like to see Barnes play a bit more, I don't have foxtel so I rarely get to see the Super 14 games but what I did see of Barnes impressed me (does need more size though).

I reckon that Ashley-Cooper should definately go to 13 when Mortlock retires as the strength and speed he has is a really good asset for that position.

As for Beale, I reckon he's a great tactical kicker but Barnes is a better ball player so maybe see how Beale plays at 12 (probably behind Giteau).

Also, what does everyone think of Gavin DeBartolo (spelling?) from what I've seen of him he's a good young fullback, I do agree that there are better choices out there at the moment (fullback of the future maybe?)

Norton-Knight has lost his spark and will only make for an average playmaker for the Tahs.
[/b]
I have never understood the hype which surrounded him, he hasn't really shown me anything that would justify him as anything more then a provincial player, I remember one of the first times he came on when playing with the Brumbies and it seemed listening to the commentary that they liked the player simply because he looked kinda like Larkham, is this the appeal?

EDIT:De Bartolo played for the Force in its first season, scored a try I think at some point but besides that didn't do anything to warrant regular playing time, perhaps good enough for a club player, not for more...besides, he only started attacking when the Spirit had players in the bin :)

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I have never understood the hype which surrounded him, he hasn't really shown me anything that would justify him as anything more then a provincial player, I remember one of the first times he came on when playing with the Brumbies and it seemed listening to the commentary that they liked the player simply because he looked kinda like Larkham, is this the appeal?

EDIT:De Bartolo played for the Force in its first season, scored a try I think at some point but besides that didn't do anything to warrant regular playing time, perhaps good enough for a club player, not for more...besides, he only started attacking when the Spirit had players in the bin :) [/b][/quote]

agreed, sorry to say this but sam has just been mediocre in the games i've seen. he's done his job but that's not good enough, just didn't look like he was in control, plus he looks like he could snap cleanly in half if jerry collins tackled him

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

EDIT:De Bartolo played for the Force in its first season, scored a try I think at some point but besides that didn't do anything to warrant regular playing time, perhaps good enough for a club player, not for more...besides, he only started attacking when the Spirit had players in the bin :) [/b][/quote]

agreed, sorry to say this but sam has just been mediocre in the games i've seen. he's done his job but that's not good enough, just didn't look like he was in control, plus he looks like he could snap cleanly in half if jerry collins tackled him
[/b][/quote]

Norton-Knight looked the goods at flyhalf when he played there for the Brumbies late in the 2005 Super 12 Season. He provided the Brumbies a good attacking platform which Giteau seemed to lack in the position.

Anyways, the 'Tahs picked up Norton-Knight and then didn't utilise him properly playing him at inside centre and on the wing, then fullback for most of this year.

Add to that some really dumb decisions and a push in the back by Tuqiri...

I just think he's lost his way and he's never going to regain the talents that he displayed a couple of years ago.

I seriously believe that if he had've stayed at the Brumbies he would be a much better player.

The Brumbies are excellent at bringing out the best in players, wheras the Waratahs do the opposite.

gerrard is the real deal... most natural fullback in a while, too skillfull for the wing

gerrard is the real deal... most natural fullback in a while, too skillfull for the wing
[/b]
Haven't seen him do much of note....how many years has he been in the Wallabies? You would think I would remember at least a few moments where he excelled extraordinarily...

Beale provides a whole new dimension for Australian rugby. His clever chip kicks have caught out so many defences so far, and having played him in schoolboy rugby, I fell victim to one of these myself. Definitely the future Australian number 10, but room has to be made somewhere for Barnes too you would think.

Latest posts