• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is putting on weight a good idea?

DuncTheDoodle

First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
Next season I'll be playing at u17s level. Most people in the squad are nearing their fully-grown sizes- Some of the back rows in particular are huge. (My mate Jack is one of the smaller forwards, but still 6ft8, 14st.) I, however, am even more scared than ever of being smashed. While I am growing use to it, and my 'not being driven backwards' technique seems to improve every day, I'm wondering whether bulking up a bit is a good idea.

I am currently 6ft 5, and weigh only 8.1 stone. A number of players I have faced have been double that, and will only get larger with time. I play in the Back Three or occasionaly at outside-centre, if that makes any difference to any other back position.

Advice would be a big help, and also as to what the best way to 'big up' would be.

You do sound a bit light alright, especially considering 6'5 is flippin' massive. Depends how important pace is to your game really.

I thought i was light at 13.5st at 6'3"!

Putting on weight is a good idea, up to a point (you don't want to be a 28st winger, for example :p ). However i'd say it's a good side effect of adding strength. I don't go try and gain weight, but i'm gradually getting heavier from hitting the gym/eating right

if your a foward put on weight ! im going into colts and im 5 10 and 12 stone 2 and im a light small foward
if you bulkedup at 6 5 you would be scary man

Next season I'll be playing at u17s level. Most people in the squad are nearing their fully-grown sizes- Some of the back rows in particular are huge. (My mate Jack is one of the smaller forwards, but still 6ft8, 14st.) I, however, am even more scared than ever of being smashed. While I am growing use to it, and my 'not being driven backwards' technique seems to improve every day, I'm wondering whether bulking up a bit is a good idea.

I am currently 6ft 5, and weigh only 8.1 stone. A number of players I have faced have been double that, and will only get larger with time. I play in the Back Three or occasionaly at outside-centre, if that makes any difference to any other back position.

Advice would be a big help, and also as to what the best way to 'big up' would be.
At 6'5'', butting on a bit of weight doesn't hurt at all.

People all seem to be under the illusion that because you gain muscle, you become slower.
This only becomes the case if your weight exceeds your natural weight to a full extent. At 6'5'', you could stand to gain plenty of weight without losing your speed. Muscle is actually great for explosive speed, you just need to make sure you do plenty of speed building exercises with your weight gaining exercises.

I'm 6'5 and 22.5 stone. I'm a bit on the heavy side and am trying to get down to around 20 stone.
All I can say is that my mass has always played an advantage, and I'm talking about muscle mass, not my midsection spare tire.
You should take up weight training, and seek out healthy ways of adding weight on if you desire to continue with the rugby.
I've got no clue what you are presently doing for fitness and diet, but if you want some advice I know there are several of us on here that are willing to lend some advice.

Gaining weight is always good but not too much as some have said it helps you break through tackles as more mass at speed will be more effective.. right now im 6"2/3 at 13 stone which is quite light i guess and just started rugby again but in the games ive played some guys have been huge one of which did my ankle in either way.. a bit more weight can also help in the tackle

Latest posts