• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Advice - Returning player

Navytaff

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some advice regarding what position I should be playing. I'm now 21 years old and haven't played properly since I was 16/17; I've played seasons for school and a season and a half of club rugby, due to education and work I had to stop playing (big mistake).

When I was in school and club level I played out on the wing as I was pretty fast (also ran 100m Sprint and hurdles) but have experienced a game or two in centre and a few as open-side flanker. I really enjoyed playing flanker and being on the thick of it as part of the pack, don't get me wrong I also enjoyed out on the wing but I felt more passive playing out back.

I'm a short player at 5'7" but I am quite muscally, I weigh 80kg with a body fat % of around 16 and have good size shoulders, arms and am known particularly for having big legs. My fitness is good (needs to get a lot better) and my speed is still pretty well maintained but I'm now in a situation where I've been out the game so long I don't know where I would fit in. I spent so long playing out on the wing but I feel more suited to flanker as I have a fiery disposition and like to be a nuisance.

When I'm home from sea I will be training with a local club and looking to join a team asap. I will be a bit rusty but am willing to put the hours into training.

What position would you say best suits me based purely on height and weight?
What advice can you give me as a player looking to return to the game properly and perhaps start in a different position ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks a lot.

Some will disagree with me, but you're too small for flanker in my opinion. 10yrs ago, you could probably head for fly-half, centre or wing (or maybe even fullback), but these days, in rugby, 5'7 is small. REALLY small. The further away from the piano pushers you can get, the better.
I'd recommend staying out on the wing, and work on your acceleration and sidestep, rather than top end speed. There's a fella of similar size who turned out quite good ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts