• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the 2021 Lions Tour Doomed?

If that is true RIP to some of guys who make that tour career.

That is crazy timing. Factor in if IRFU enforce player rest management - Provinces will loose lads for Europe following season.

Interesting if they cancel quarantine for foreigners in July and how it will be difficult to get tickets then

I'll certainly hope my tickets are transferred to the first test in Edinburgh. Shame about all the Scottish that live there :p

There are rumours online that South African government are going to try an make efforts to keep the tournament in South Africa (may be complete baloney)

In the press today:
WRU chief executive has been named as new Lions managing director

RFU not keen on the tour being in the UK, Would rather it be in SA behind closed doors

Apparently tour to be kept as is, will go ahead in South Africa as planned, first game 3rd July v Western Force

No news on whether crowds will be allowed, I'd imagine that'll be closer to the time

Would that mean an enforced 2 week hotel quarantine for players? That's what it currently is in Ireland anyway and considering they're planning on not running any GAA matches as things stand I can't see them allowing this without it for image's sake.

It'd be cool to see a few Irish lads do what we've been notoriously bad at historically and pullout.

Considering everyone is predicting another wave of COVID on the horizon, it seems....ambitious, at best

One thing I will say is that the levels of infection in South Africa have been very low since a peak around new year, a plateau for a few months now

Coupled with SA botched vaccination program, I'm very very surprised. Won't be any tourists (were already being told going abroad isn't happening this summer).

Absolute madness....

One thing I will say is that the levels of infection in South Africa have been very low since a peak around new year, a plateau for a few months now
While this is true, they're predicted to have another wave in June:

I imagine travelling fans will be completely out of the equation, more a matter of whether local crowds will be allowed at full/half/any capacity

Yeah totally agree. It may take a serious hit financially, and its a shame without crowds if it goes that way, but damn I do love watching the lions. Happy to have it on in any capacity

I would like them to announce fans sooner rather than later. I got to book flights and accommodation and don't want to leave it until the last second.

If there are no fans allowed to travel then this is a poor decision. The biggest event for northern hemisphere rugby reduced to just another soulless sporting event, no thanks. Would rather have it totally cancelled than played behind closed doors, goes against everything that a Lions tour is meant to be about. Having been to SA in 2009 I can safely say that no other rugby occasion comes close to an atmosphere of a Lions test, it's electric. It's personal choice but for me sacrificing the atmosphere just to make money isn't a good enough compromise. It should have been held in the UK.

If there are no fans allowed to travel then this is a poor decision. The biggest event for northern hemisphere rugby reduced to just another soulless sporting event, no thanks. Would rather have it totally cancelled than played behind closed doors, goes against everything that a Lions tour is meant to be about. Having been to SA in 2009 I can safely say that no other rugby occasion comes close to an atmosphere of a Lions test, it's electric. It's personal choice but for me sacrificing the atmosphere just to make money isn't a good enough compromise. It should have been held in the UK.
You cant speak of going against everything the Lions stand for, and also say it should have been held in the UK in the same sentence. The latter is arguably a greater betrayel of the Lions then no crowds.

The current Vaccination rates will have the UK at herd immunity by June//late July. I see zero reason why 10,000+ fans from the UK could not go. Have an immunization card & passport = minimal restrictions around the country and attendance to games.

Here in the US we were hovering around 1.5 million doses per day and that's approaching 3 million now. Manufacturers are ramping up and distribution/logistics will only continue to improve.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's 75+% occupancy once the games are played in August. Yes I know South Africa won't even be close to herd immunity, but the 10,000-50,000 British & Lions fans all will be.

Latest posts