• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the 2021 Lions Tour Doomed?

should they bin this one and do an extended tour in 2025 to both SA and Aus?

Season's shortened as it is. Can't see an extended one involving SA and Aus in 2025.

Shame if it doesn't happen. Something extra special with BIL v Springboks. But these really are extraordinary circumstances.

Could now well be 2033 for the next one, if it's not sorted.

Doesn't a company in South Africa (Aspen) make the Coronavirus vaccine? Surely that must help?

Ref the 22 too close to the RWC argument....the Boks are the reigning champs and probably stand a better chance of retaining their ***le than any of the home nations do of winning it. Against that backdrop if the Boks are happy to postpone a year with the high probability that the tour can look like normal then everyone should bend over backwards to accommodate that.

Except that would require everyone to work together and see the bigger picture. Vested interests would no doubt win out, as they always do.

Of course they could, but would they want to if they didn't have access to the home unions' international squads? The unions have already stated their position.

Unless the home unions alter their stated position, you don't. My point is that some form of compromise is going to achieve sometthing in this regard while doing what was planned or nothing will leave 100% of nothing.
Technically no. The IRFU (and I can only speak for them) filters down to provinces. There is plenty of merchandise sold so not exactly 100% or Nothing. If it is nothing there is still debts also to clear.
Unions have said they will look at alternate next year that allows smaller Lions squad and also allows unions be competitive in their own tours also. But this is not preference.

But again you still have not answered how best it is for Lions to address their Cashflow problem. Like it isn't as simple as you make out and a lot of legal contract exist.

South Africa open door to Lions series on British soil

This is the heavy rumour. The Lions would break through with no profit and all players will be asked to waive fee's to save costs on Lions side.

But is a tour in UK&Ire really a Lions Tour. Especially when all locked down.
Another point mentioned is EPCR are hoping to resume their tournaments and potentially dates could intersect causing a few club v country (Well Lions) issues.

You appear to have answered your own question @munstermuffin. Funny that the answer turned out to be what I've been advocating while apparently dodging questions.

You appear to have answered your own question @munstermuffin. Funny that the answer turned out to be what I've been advocating while apparently dodging questions.
In what way. A tour that doesn't go ahead or is postponed is better than a half organised tour.
Isn't that what I said no?

You said a tour behind closed doors?? Still don't follow.

And if it was Tour next year you said then fair enough. I thought you suggested tour this year and have tests behind closed doors.

Last edited:
And if it was Tour next year you said then fair enough. I thought you suggested tour this year and have tests behind closed doors.
Surely if the GB&I based option is being considered, it is being costed on the basis of limited or no crowds.

Surely if the GB&I based option is being considered, it is being costed on the basis of limited or no crowds.
It is being based on having crowds as hopeful and even then still required players here to not take a fee and for the PR gigs to still be active. So effectively they want players to play for the pride or at a very very low price. So much so that internationals could earn more playing for their country if a summer tour went ahead. And there is a reason Ireland is being looked at as main area as well. We aren't going to the Euros in soccer so try cash it in. But as I said that will still leave a debt and is not the solution B&I Lions want. As this will mean S.A. will get cut too of some areas they wouldn't.
But the GB&I option is more being considered on the basis of quarantine and movement. If an injury happened in SA would a replacement need to Quarantine.

The IRFU have been superb in passing weekly briefs to all of us in all the provinces. And have also made a reserve for potential costs that may come back on them.

Seems unlikely,
The South African government are hoping to have 20millions doses (so 10million vaccinated) by end of June/July - but this has been written off as infeasible, and they've only got 12m doses on order (by comparison the UK had 130m doses on order by last December)
That 20 million doses, is just from one source though.

Our President addressed the nation last week and said that they are in the process of obtaining the vaccine from 4 different sources, with the hope of getting 40million people vaccinated by the end of May, which would be 65% of the country's population.

And some private companies have now also asked the president if they can try to obtain the vaccine independently, with the idea to sell it to medical aid schemes for distribution.

The hope is that by getting the vaccines from various sources we can do herd-immunisations in large quantities as soon as possible. There is also a roll-out plan ready as to how the distribution will take place. And our hope is that the first batch will come the end of this week, or early next week.

On a side note. We went from 23000 cases daily last week, to only 9000 new cases yesterday and the day before. The Currie Cup semi-finals will take place this coming weekend, and it seems like all the teams are now completely COVID free.

I think we are looking at playing in South Africa. Either behind closed doors or with crowds (depending on vaccine situation).

Apparently this is what the players want and South Africa will still make a profit on TV revenue alone. The crowds are the icing on the cake. Broadcasters aren't too bothered about empty stadiums as the viewers are now used to it.

Quite like the Australian idea as Plan B. Certainly better than playing it over here. And if even if fans can't travel there will be a shed load of ex pats from both countries already there.

Quite like the Australian idea as Plan B. Certainly better than playing it over here. And if even if fans can't travel there will be a shed load of ex pats from both countries already there.
I actually like this idea. I certainly don't want it in the UK without a crowd. As you elude to Australia is full of British and South African ex-pats!. Needless to say the ARU could do with the money as well.

Latest posts