• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

is there too much rugby on?

C

cwans

Well? Too much rugby on?

How many people sit through an entire round of ANZ Cup rugby games?

I was so selective that over that last weekend I only watched two matches.

Ranfurly shield with harbour and waikato (team I support).

No, there's not "too much" rugby on, unless you count the Currie Cup...cause that's just pointless...no offense.

Just a joke.

Seriously, though, maybe I'm a bit obsessed, and yes, it does make it difficult to watch all the matches, but no, I must insist that there is not too much rugby on television.

If you've ever seen the television in the states, the satelite companies offer 20+ channels to one single sport (ie 20 NFL channels, 20 MLB channels, 20 College Football, ect...) so you never ever miss a game. So in comparison to other sports obsessed nations, no, there is not too much rugby on.

Up in England we dont have enough rugby, I wish I could have a choice of which Guinness Premiership game I could watch rather than just the one game a week, and thats if we are lucky...

well we do have ALOT of rugby on. too much? probably. i would love to watch more matches i just dont have the time :(

at this point in the competition there is only 3 games worth watching anyway and thats the top 6 games. i am lucky to get to watch one game a week. and thats only the canerbury game cause what kind of supporter would i be if i miss that?

Australia has stuff all at the moment... 2 games from NZ now and then.
NO there is not enough rugby on at the moment (if you live in Australia)

Theres too much mediocre rugby. In NZ anyways...
So agreed with woosaah, T6 matches are the only ones worth watching.

So whats your solution? Only screen half the games? Than you'll have fans of the other teams *****ing.

So whats your solution? Only screen half the games? Than you'll have fans of the other teams *****ing.
[/b]

that my question?

T6 matches live and primetime...repechage matches delayed and prime television only...lol dunno mate, i think cwans has the same solution as me with a selective rugby watching guide.

On free to air television we get a game of sydney club rugby each week on the ABC. We dont get super 14 games on seven anymore. All tri nations and bledisloe cup games are shown as well as all other test matches held in australia. Its a shame we get **** all.

we get nothing (to my knowledge) on free to air, tis all pay tv over here. every game of the ANZ cup live, every tri nations live, every super 14 live thats on the sport channel, then on the rugby channel we have all that and all the 6N and to my knowldge some of the GP or whatever over there. i dont have the rugby channel, i might get it :)

we get nothing (to my knowledge) on free to air, tis all pay tv over here. every game of the ANZ cup live, every tri nations live, every super 14 live thats on the sport channel, then on the rugby channel we have all that and all the 6N and to my knowldge some of the GP or whatever over there. i dont have the rugby channel, i might get it :)
[/b]

Umm, yeah all LIVE rugby matches on paytv, but for FREE delayed coverage, primetv hold the free-to-air rights for all the rugby matches and like the aussies only have one feature game a weekend and then a highlights show or sumthin, as that channel is owned by skytv.
I think tv3 will be the new free-to-air channel for the world cup next year, instead of the long serving tv1.

As for the rugby channel, im surprised youre able to go on with life without it woosaah! goodness me, you dont need to put up with sky sport 1 anymore haha, you can experience live games on glorious wide screen...lol...and yes the GP is showing on RC, along with the 6N and all those rugby magazine shows like the aussies insiderugby, the south africans boots n' all and the europeans total rugby.

I don't think there is too much on at all. maybe not enough good games but defintely not too much on.

the secret is watching the right games. there is no point in watching say tasman v southland or something similar as you know the quality of rugby just simply won't be there comapred to say something like the auckland waikato game etc.

free to air in nz sucks. normally just one game a week sometimes 2. in the air nz cup they have been showing the saturday 2:30 game delayed and the sunday 2:30 game delayed. which means you ened up watching bop v tarakani or some other crap.

Free to air sucks in NZ because the Free to air channels couldn't put together a decent presentation if their life depended on it, that and the commentators are ****. Take the Rugby World Cup, instead of that senile old man Keith Quinn, we now get Hamish Mckay and Frank Bunce...

And there was TV One f*** up with the Forumla One.

well atm prime are just sticking with the sky commentators for their free-to-air coverage, but agreed on the keith quinn and hamish mckay...quinn and mcbeth as how i used to remember it were the iconic rugby commentators and in a way still are, but have dropped off the rugby radar and need to retire becoz quinn especially has lost it and that overrated mckay of tv3 is hopeless, he doesnt capture the atmosphere of any game hes commentating let alone the biasedness (is that a word? dont think so?...ima use it anyways =P) he has towards the kiwi teams.

As for the rugby channel, im surprised youre able to go on with life without it woosaah! goodness me, you dont need to put up with sky sport 1 anymore haha, you can experience live games on glorious wide screen...lol...and yes the GP is showing on RC, along with the 6N and all those rugby magazine shows like the aussies insiderugby, the south africans boots n' all and the europeans total rugby.[/b]

yeah, i still need to get myself a widescreen tv first, though i could chuck it on the projector only do that when i have people over :)

When i saw this topic my first thought was: "Are you nuts, there can never be too much rugby" But, let`s think about it for a moment! What do you prefer? Quantity or quality cos you can`t have both!

I have to agree here with ShowMe who said there is too much mediocre rugby! He`s more than right! Too much mediocre rugby on tv is a reality! Let`s face it, the audience ratings are going down everywhere in Southern Hemisphere (in NH, as i`ve read in an article, it`s quite opposite, the rugby audience increase by 20% or more - i mean in France and this perhaps has to do with the upcoming WRC but also in `pommie land`) ! Why is that? Easy, people becoming more selective! You got to a point where you are feed up wiht all sort of crappy games till you say: "enough, i`m not paying for this stupid thing anymore"!

So, to ansewr the topic question : yes, unfortunately there is way too much rugby and due to this increase in quantity there is a huge decrease in quality and we, rugby supporters, we need first of all quality!

My point about too much rugby is way too many teams.

Lindsay Knight had it right when he said WHY change the old format when they used to have 9 teams in three divisions and the relegation system.

Not that im totally against ANZ Cup in that sense, I still think it could work, but throw out the complicated repecharge, and have the salary cap a little more enforced.

Ie... North HArbour has centre riches, Auck have way too many backs on the bench, SPREAD the love you know.

The games would improve significantly if talents are spread out more.

NZRFU has the power to do this, so why don't they. Put in a rule saying if you have way too many centres, you have to release some to some sort of draft system.

HAve a quota with the different facets of the team, Props, Hooker, Loosies, Locks, Halfbacks, First fives, Centres Wingers/Fullbacks.

THAT way, we don't get the situation where Nonu get pushed out to the wing because he has Umaga on his back, and Luke playing 1st five rather than his All Blacks second... etc etc etc...

In Scotland there is literally NO rugby on, unless it's the internationals or the very odd anglo-welsh cup game. Absolutley no Scottish pro or club rugby on telly, I watch the highlights on the Magners League on S4C (shame I don't speak Welsh though).

My point about too much rugby is way too many teams.

Lindsay Knight had it right when he said WHY change the old format when they used to have 9 teams in three divisions and the relegation system.

Not that im totally against ANZ Cup in that sense, I still think it could work, but throw out the complicated repecharge, and have the salary cap a little more enforced.

Ie... North HArbour has centre riches, Auck have way too many backs on the bench, SPREAD the love you know.

The games would improve significantly if talents are spread out more.

NZRFU has the power to do this, so why don't they. Put in a rule saying if you have way too many centres, you have to release some to some sort of draft system.

HAve a quota with the different facets of the team, Props, Hooker, Loosies, Locks, Halfbacks, First fives, Centres Wingers/Fullbacks.

THAT way, we don't get the situation where Nonu get pushed out to the wing because he has Umaga on his back, and Luke playing 1st five rather than his All Blacks second... etc etc etc...
[/b]

that was a good laugh cwans.

Latest posts