• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Isle of Man TT

I dont know how others feel watching it but as a rider watching it scares the crap out of me. I get similar feelings that I get when I'm riding and I know I'm pushing things a bit too much! I don't get that feeling watching motoGP or superbikes which look so more controlled.

the Riding is absolutely insane.

................ I don't get that feeling watching motoGP or superbikes which look so more controlled.the Riding is absolutely insane.

Understandably as, rightly, the races you quote have run off areas not kerbs, walls, pylons, and wired fences that can act like cheese cutters!!! I would not consider racing around these roads, if I were into motorbike racing, but there will always be people who will want to beat history and take the ridiculous risks involved!!

I dont know how others feel watching it but as a rider watching it scares the crap out of me. I get similar feelings that I get when I'm riding and I know I'm pushing things a bit too much! I don't get that feeling watching motoGP or superbikes which look so more controlled.

the Riding is absolutely insane (death trap)

I don't know how many years it will take, but in the near future folk will look back and think, "they didn't race on public roads did they?"

Seriously, much as I agree that it is past its sell by date, both the Ulster and Manx meetings will continue as long as there people who want to race as both Governments see their races as pivotal in what, in the Isle of Man anyway, is the illusion of a tourist industry!

Indeed, the IOM Government and their ubiquitous "consultants" are in discussion as to how to extend the brand to other places!! This will lead to only one winner..............the consultants!!

Understandably as, rightly, the races you quote have run off areas not kerbs, walls, pylons, and wired fences that can act like cheese cutters!!!

:lol: Can't believe I missed this sadistic pearler. Can almost see the enthusiasm in your face as you type. Get behind them barricades Tony as this nonsense won't last.<_<

I'm on the fence, the guys that race know full well the risks and have decided its worth it so why stop them doing what they want.

There is nothing like the sight of a flying lap around Isle of Man, excellence in the face of death and chaos.

On the flip side... watching the riders before they start, their partners clutching them, seemingly not wanting to let them go, wondering if it will be the last time they are alive together and what could happen. The tears before the racing. it really isn't like any other race...

Seriously, much as I agree that it is past its sell by date, l

Can almost see the enthusiasm in your face as you type.

Really?

... watching the riders before they start, their partners clutching them, seemingly not wanting to let them go, wondering if it will be the last time they are alive together and what could happen. The tears before the racing. it really isn't like any other race...

Must admit I have not seen that but would understand it.....have heard the words of the widows...."he would not have had it any other way if he had to die", "He died doing what he lived for", "I would not have had him any other way".............all quotes i have actually heard which do not make a lot of sense to me..................but maybe it is their way of being gallant to the stupid b**ger's memory!

"It isn't like any other race"...............no it is not and that is the history they want to be part of.............

Last edited:
I was being a bit mischievous with the enthusiasm bit :D

However, agreeing its "out of date" while also being "the first at the barricades at any attempt to ban it"....bit of a contradiction there?

Tony, don't take this as mockery because it isn't, but I was thinking...wouldn't it be cool if one day they made a race event called the "Mile of Ann", and it would be in honor of a famous woman called Ann who ran a full mile while doing something amazing, like bearing triplets at 8months 1/2. And it would be, like, a footrace for only pregnant women and an ode to feminism and womanly power. Of course the "mile" distance would only be honorary, but the pregnant broads would really have to run a much longer distance of course....bishes got to sweat if they wants to earn, knowmsayin...

Tony, don't take this as mockery because it isn't, but I was thinking...wouldn't it be cool if one day they made a race event called the "Mile of Ann", and it would be in honor of a famous woman called Ann who ran a full mile while doing something amazing, like bearing triplets at 8months 1/2. And it would be, like, a footrace for only pregnant women and an ode to feminism and womanly power. Of course the "mile" distance would only be honorary, but the pregnant broads would really have to run a much longer distance of course....bishes got to sweat if they wants to earn, knowmsayin...

I don't know what you are on, but I'm willing to bet it's frowned upon in Qatar.

............ agreeing its "out of date" while also being "the first at the barricades at any attempt to ban it"....bit of a contradiction there?

I think you miss my point....I do think it is outdated and dangerous and I guess I would support it not being run if only on health and safety grounds, if I was like that, but being a true independent sort of bloke, I would defend anyone's right to being an individual and riding the TT is just that. There are 30k supporters who have already booked up for next year and there would probably be more if there were the available shipping to get there for the races!

Would I go and watch it......no, ITV4 do fantastic coverage and am happy with that!!!

Ewis.............you are mad as hatful of frogs but I do enjoy MOST of your comments!!!!

I'd share your independent stance, and i personally wouldn't interfere with the TT as i would leave that up to those involved be it fans/participants. If (when) they do decide to ban racing on public roads I would fully agree with that decision.

Ewis lost me way back....is he paid to be some sort of rambling court jester of the boards? <_<

Yea love it.. i see Kiwi superbike rider Bruce Anstey set a new lap record this year...His average speed for the lap was a remarkable 212.913kmh. INSANE and happen to know he's done it while battling prostate cancer...what a LEGEND!

Yea love it.. i see Kiwi superbike rider Bruce Anstey set a new lap record this year...His average speed for the lap was a remarkable 212.913kmh. INSANE and happen to know he's done it while battling prostate cancer...what a LEGEND!

He certainly is over here!!!

My old man used to race there in the 50s where he raced Clubmans in the June series, a Matchless in the Senior Race and a BSA Gold Star in the Manx Grand Prix in the Sept. series....He says if the house ever burns down the things he will save is his two silver replicas from those racing days.... since then he's sponsored Paul Dobbs and Chris Swallow on his BSA Gold Star 500. Also had success in NZ TT Classic winning that three years in succession and several other races...

My old man used to race there in the 50s where he raced Clubmans in the June series, a Matchless in the Senior Race and a BSA Gold Star in the Manx Grand Prix in the Sept. series....He says if the house ever burns down the things he will save is his two silver replicas from those racing days.... since then he's sponsored Paul Dobbs and Chris Swallow on his BSA Gold Star 500. Also had success in NZ TT Classic winning that three years in succession and several other races...

Well for me your old man is a legend too!!!

Geoff Duke died at the weekend.....as well as being one of the most famous bike riders ever, probably the greatest TT rider and ex World Champion, Geoff was a wonderful character who I had the privilege of meeting on many, many occasions and every one a joy!

He was a marvellous but shy and honest gentleman and, even at the age of 92, will be sadly missed! RIP

Latest posts