• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italian Rugby

It was you who asked me who the new coach would be. I read this and thought you were playing me with some slow burning psychological torture!
I ain't that cruel Bruce! Wow, well I guess it's gonna be a Gelato Van for Howlers then instead of just normal ice cream ;).

Also, while your here... I got Touch of Zen and Hana Bi blu rays arriving sometime tomorrow. Their gonna be my Friday viewing to kill the time before the Quarter Final weekend.

I ain't that cruel Bruce! Wow, well I guess it's gonna be a Gelato Van for Howlers then instead of just normal ice cream ;).

Also, while your here... I got Touch of Zen and Hana Bi blu rays arriving sometime tomorrow. Their gonna be my Friday viewing to kill the time before the Quarter Final weekend.

Hopefully he ends up being imprisoned and cant take the job! :0

I have defended Howley in the past, but Lord no, not this. It makes only marginally more sense than COS hiring him and playing him on the wing.

Good luck with the films. I suddenly feel like I could do with a dose of escapism myself.

Hopefully he ends up being imprisoned and cant take the job! :0

I have defended Howley in the past, but Lord no, not this. It makes only marginally more sense than COS hiring him and playing him on the wing.

Good luck with the films. I suddenly feel like I could do with a dose of escapism myself.
Surely the whole gambling fiasco should prevent him from taking this job though... maybe that will save you.

I'll let you know what I think of the films.

Apologies if posted elsewhere but there are reports Italy will visit Romania and Georgia in the summer. If that happens I can never accuse Italy of running scared again as these are both entirely loseable matches.

To my personal surprise Andy Robinson is doing well with Romania. They almost defeated Argentina in the summer, comfortably dispatched Uruguay last month (who ran Italy close) and handily defeated a full strength Tonga with a second string side (no players from French teams or from their champions Baia Mare, who were away playing this weird Toyota Challenge in South Africa. The side was essentially the Steau Bucharest club side).

I suspect as well as the San Francisco agreement making Tier1s have to play more Tier2 fixtures that Italy have received assurances that no matter what happens the other 6N unions have their back. I also think for all my differences with the Italian union president Innocenti, he does at least appear more open to fixtures with Tier2s and the union is concerned that only playing (and losing to) Tier1 sides, is hampering their development and hurting fan engagement.

Interview with head coach Crowley indicates the direction of travel with the union.

Will you be looking for eligible players overseas?
"Everyone does it, after the Steyns and the Negris we will too. I am not scandalized: Scotland is a South African branch. I have contacted 6 or 7. You will have news".

Not a good time to be part of an improving Italian u20s side as getting into the first XV seems likely to be about to get a whole lot trickier. Thank the gods for the 5 year residency rule to protect international sport from the likes of Crowley, who seems to consider Scotland a joke and therefore think that it is fine for Italy to become a similar joke under his direction. A puzzling perspective.

In news so seismic that the URC website can't be bothered to report it, Michael Bradley has been let go from Zebre. The Italian union showing zero tolerance of coaches who can't match Benetton's pan-hemispheric domination.

I suspect it is largely the poor start to the season combined with him being O'Shea's man. New broom and all that. I'd like to think the national u20s coach would get a crack at Zebre given the consistently good results, but with Bortolami at Benetton I can't see a double Italian setup, so they'll likely be Going Anglophone.

No sign of Crowley's 6 or 7 converted Italian Qualified players. Instead picking new players who have worked their way through the development structure.

A suggestion I have read is that several of the players (not named) considering the switch play in England, but there is an issue as clubs get payments from the English union based on how many English qualified players they have. Any player who switches may therefore cost ther club money. Go clubs!

Coaching move from Brazlian Cobras to Zebre. Another Hourcade protege. Cobras were very poor last year (as were Brazil on fairness) so this is not the appointment of a proven coaching talent and we all know he is facing a very difficult situation at Zebre to even try and win a single game. I was completely wrong that they'd pick an Anglophone, so credit to the Italian union for not being limited by language in making the appointment.

I really wasn't sure about taking the 3 at the end when it only puts you 6 points ahead... I would have thought you go for a lineout (or even scrum) and hold possession... but it's a gamble that paid off!

Déja vu from the NZ v Fra Women's SF

A vague parting shot from Crowley. A bit rubbish really. Put up or shut up. It is hard to imagine he is completely blameless in his curtailed career and as he points out he isn't the only coach who was being binned after the RWC.

Latest posts