• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy v Wales

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 15 2009, 04:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
At least we can derive one positive: Italy are making progress![/b]
Not really.

The tight stuff is a given. In midfield or out wide they are clueless.

Don't deserve a place in the championship. Sad.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Mar 14 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Powell has all the skills to be a top player, and for 6 months this year it all came together beautifully. I'm not sure what's happened since, it's not just that oppositions have found him out, he's changed the way he plays! I haven't seen him use the quick feet he posseses, instead just looks for contact (normally 2 or 3 guys) and ploughs into them. His handling let him down today, he just wasn't taking care of the ball. His offloading has also gone backwards from the autumn, it's either too obvious or so complicated that his team mates don't get it![/b]

Ah but still like, heaslip has to be ahead of him at this stage for the lions. Not that it will matter. When we get to Africa "WE GONNA DIE". Not enugh class between us. End of.

The time has come to add a new quote to my sig...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jan 2 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 31 2008, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Dec 31 2008, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also Powell at 8?[/b]

Well, I could explain about why Powell is a shoe in at 8 for a world best XV but I fear that most South Africans would probably want to hear last of the big man from Wales, especially after his rampaging debut against the World Champs in November..
[/b][/quote]

"Powell is a shoe in at 8 for a world best XV"
^^^That's the quote I'll put on my sig when Powell gets shown up

[/b][/quote]

:p

Andy Powell has been appauling all 6 Nations, opposition know whats coming with him, hes just going to crash into you, bit like Jamie Roberts?
How much do we have to beat Ireland by to win it now?

A 13 point win will put you above us in the table. Not sure what France will do though so you may need more.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ozzay @ Mar 15 2009, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Andy Powell has been appauling all 6 Nations, opposition know whats coming with him, hes just going to crash into you, bit like Jamie Roberts?
How much do we have to beat Ireland by to win it now?[/b]

13 but should France win today and in Rome than that margin may need to be greater, you'll know come kick off what you have to do.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Mar 15 2009, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ah but still like, heaslip has to be ahead of him at this stage for the lions. Not that it will matter. When we get to Africa "WE GONNA DIE". Not enugh class between us. End of.[/b]

Certainly, at this rate, Powell won't tour! Heaslip will be the Lions 8 I feel with Ryan Jones as backup. It will be interesting to see if it will be Jones or Ferris or Strockosh or Haskell or Jonathan Thomas etc. at 6 though.

Where are all of the people who were saying how world class Powell is? It was only 2 games ago. This just shows how the unrealistic expectation levels are in Wales. It must be great playing for Wales when things are going well but sheer hell when they are not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ozzay @ Mar 15 2009, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How much do we have to beat Ireland by to win it now?[/b]

well it's definitely 13 now given the first half we've just had at Twickenham.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 15 2009, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 15 2009, 04:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least we can derive one positive: Italy are making progress![/b]
Not really.

The tight stuff is a given. In midfield or out wide they are clueless.

Don't deserve a place in the championship. Sad.
[/b][/quote]
Best performance from them so far. Their back play has been poor since the start. Saying that, when has their back play ever been good? It hasn't. The sooner the clubs move to the Magners League the better...

On the game next week, if we beat Ireland by 13 points it'll probably be the biggest achievement we've made under Gatland.
Don't think it'll happen though, even though I think we'll get a win by about 7...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Mar 15 2009, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Mar 14 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Powell has all the skills to be a top player, and for 6 months this year it all came together beautifully. I'm not sure what's happened since, it's not just that oppositions have found him out, he's changed the way he plays! I haven't seen him use the quick feet he posseses, instead just looks for contact (normally 2 or 3 guys) and ploughs into them. His handling let him down today, he just wasn't taking care of the ball. His offloading has also gone backwards from the autumn, it's either too obvious or so complicated that his team mates don't get it![/b]

Ah but still like, heaslip has to be ahead of him at this stage for the lions. Not that it will matter. When we get to Africa "WE GONNA DIE". Not enugh class between us. End of.
[/b][/quote]

Not enough class between us? Which is of course why Wales pushed them all the way in Cardiff, and Scotland pushed them even closer in Edinbrugh in the Autumn? And in the second test of Wales's tour there, and under-strength Wales side gave them a run for their money. So I wouldn;t write off the Lions chances just yet.

I would settle for a Welsh win, but no Championship next week. A Triple Crown would do nicely for me.
Just hope Wales don;t go all out and try to score tries from everyone, because we will lose that way. Shanklin has to start with Henson, because Roberts was too anonomous for me :/ Powell should be dropped to the bench, with Jon Thomas at 6 and Ryan Jones at 8, Martyn Williams, Leigh Halfpenney, Ian Gough, Gethin Jenkins and Adam Jones all need to come back into the strating line up too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Mar 15 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Mar 15 2009, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Mar 14 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Not enough class between us? Which is of course why Wales pushed them all the way in Cardiff, and Scotland pushed them even closer in Edinbrugh in the Autumn? And in the second test of Wales's tour there, and under-strength Wales side gave them a run for their money. So I wouldn;t write off the Lions chances just yet.

I would settle for a Welsh win, but no Championship next week. A Triple Crown would do nicely for me.
Just hope Wales don;t go all out and try to score tries from everyone, because we will lose that way. Shanklin has to start with Henson, because Roberts was too anonomous for m
[/b][/quote]

and Henson wasn't???

Nope, according to every one in Wales, his line to set up Williams's try was 'genius' and according to Scrum V now, we couldn't see more of that genius because of our terrible platform...
Though saying that, Hook kicking every thing aimlessly away didn't help.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 15 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nope, according to every one in Wales, his line to set up Williams's try was 'genius' and according to Scrum V now, we couldn't see more of that genius because of our terrible platform...
Though saying that, Hook kicking every thing aimlessly away didn't help.[/b]

he just looked disinterested, some aimless kicking from him as well, not just the prevu of Hook and Byrne yesterday but I take your original point re. Hook

To be fair on Roberts, he touched the ball once! How can a guy make an impression with that kinda service, though Henson only touched the ball like 3 times and was in the running for best Welsh player. The basic fact is, if we don't get more field position and quality ball to our backs we will loose next week.

The thing is, I'm sure things will be different, with so many quality forwards to come back in, Jenkins, Rees, Adam Jones, Gough, Williams and Ryan Jones, who up till the France game had controlled every 6 nations game since the first half in Twickenham last year, + the added motivation of the talking to from Gatlan, they will front up and play well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 15 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Where are all of the people who were saying how world class Powell is? It was only 2 games ago. This just shows how the unrealistic expectation levels are in Wales. It must be great playing for Wales when things are going well but sheer hell when they are not.[/b]

Expectations are too low and we gave Italy TOO much respect imo. We were never going to win the game by 20, 30 points with a second string side; that is clear now. But if Wales are going to compete with the SH big boys then they should be thrashing a side as abjectly poor as Italy.

well had your discipline been what it was for the previous 3 games then you might have found yourself with the possession to have done some serious damage to Italy even with the second string side

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 15 2009, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well had your discipline been what it was for the previous 3 games then you might have found yourself with the possession to have done some serious damage to Italy even with the second string side[/b]

Yes, too many mistakes and we got absolutely pummeled in the scrum.

Our backs are 100 times better than theirs which was why it was imperative that we dominated them up front, which we didn't.

And I'm tired and ill so night folks.

Latest posts