• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy's Chances In The World Cup

G

Gavin

Having watched the Ireland vs Italy match at Ravenhill on Friday night, the first match in Belfast for nearly fifty years, I am really looking forward to Italy's matches against Scotland and Australia. :D

Even though Brian O'Driscoll was out due to a horrible incident and Andrew Trimble was brought in, Ireland still had an incredible back-line which was still odds on to destroy the Italians - bought this did not happen. Why? :euh:

It wasn't due to the lack of the Irish, it was due to the might of the Italian forwards and the well planned defensive of their back-line. The Italian's really took the Irish forwards from behind and showed them a good time :sex011:

I would rate the Italian front-five as one of the best in the world for strength and intensity, and their back-row is growing with every game. Soon enough their back-line will become world-class and will be world beaters.

I can imagine Italy putting Scotland to the sword, and possibly fronting up against the All Blacks.

:fb:

Italy for the quater-final?

[/color]

<span style="font-family:Century">Any thoughts?

</span>

well they certainly won't get close to the All Blacks, that's for sure, way too much in New Zealand's armoury for the Azzuri, plus I get the impression that NZ will be keen to hit the ground running and put down a marker so a huge part of the equation is how Italy react to what New Zealand do to them.

It's a 50/50 game between the Scots and the Italians especially given the fact that it's being played in France but one thing is for sure they won't be gifted 3 intercepts in the opening quarter. They're proving themselves gradually in the 6N, now it's time to step up and prove it on the world stage.

well they certainly won't get close to the All Blacks, that's for sure, way too much in New Zealand's armoury for the Azzuri, plus I get the impression that NZ will be keen to hit the ground running and put down a marker so a huge part of the equation is how Italy react to what New Zealand do to them.

It's a 50/50 game between the Scots and the Italians especially given the fact that it's being played in France but one thing is for sure they won't be gifted 3 intercepts in the opening quarter. They're proving themselves gradually in the 6N, now it's time to step up and prove it on the world stage.
[/b]

Fair assessment - except, I'm thinking Italy could be interesting against the ABs. If they play their full team for the first 60 mins, then it may be tight enough and who knows after that? They'll certainly compete at set piece and in mauls. Their backrow could do well at the breakdown. And Berbizier might just have put enough steel in to the midfield defence. Then it comes down to how the outhalfs control the game.

ABs to win comfortably. But if they overwhelm a full Italy side, then we're all fcuked.

Against Scotland, if Italy get it right in midfield they should win.

I've been following italy since the six nations and I have to say that we know this.

Italy is not the team they used to be

Italy is not a bad team by any means

Italy is not on the level as the major nations

Knowing this I feel that if Italy plays how they have been playing then they could only be proud of their efforts and how far they've come. I mean there is no other team that has made this kind of advancements this fast. I picked italy to make it past the group stage but to simply be crushed by France I believe.

I believe Italy will beat Scotland and make it to the QF's.

I hope so at least. I think it would be great for rugby to see teams like Italy and Argentina in the QF's.

<div class='quotemain'> well they certainly won't get close to the All Blacks, that's for sure, way too much in New Zealand's armoury for the Azzuri, plus I get the impression that NZ will be keen to hit the ground running and put down a marker so a huge part of the equation is how Italy react to what New Zealand do to them.

[/b]

Fair assessment - except, I'm thinking Italy could be interesting against the ABs. If they play their full team for the first 60 mins, then it may be tight enough and who knows after that? They'll certainly compete at set piece and in mauls. Their backrow could do well at the breakdown. And Berbizier might just have put enough steel in to the midfield defence. Then it comes down to how the outhalfs control the game.

ABs to win comfortably. But if they overwhelm a full Italy side, then we're all fcuked.

Against Scotland, if Italy get it right in midfield they should win. [/b][/quote] italy aren't very good nz will overwhelm them and your all already fcuked.cheers :D

I think against the mighty all blacks they will kick as much as possible and tackle pretty hard, true they need to save some energy for the other more important games, but let's be honest, opening ABs game is a giagantic event, no italian players wants to miss out. ABs should eventually lead by some 30-35. But i am sure they are also gonna try to keep some energy for the future, and u surely don't want to get injured in the first game.

But i believe italy will take over scotland, it seems to me that italy is overall a more balanced teams, true if scotland manages to play a brilliant possession game they have their fair chances but i can see italy taking over with scrums and mauls and scotland loosing its confidence by the mid second half.

I'd love to see Italy make the quarters but a lot of things would have to go their way and I just don't see that happening.

Worse still I think that NZ will have their usual cracking start and wipe the floor. I could see 90-100 points conceded. After that they'd struggle. I hope this doesn't happen but NZ have the ideal kind of game to can Italy.

Italy v Scotland. This has to be the toughest game to call, followed closely by Ireland v Argentina.

Abs to beat Italy, but wont look convincing until the second half. Very physical game, and the Italians if they play to their strengths will make the Abs work hard for the first half.

If Italy can keep it tight against Scotland Im picking they may walk into a Quarter final berth.

Would be great for Italian rugby if they made it to the quarters. Before the summer warm up games, I'd say they would, but Scotland are on the up at the moment. Be one hell of a game, won't be missing that one.

To be totally truthful, Italy are going to do absolute bugger all at this world cup apart from the very real possibility of them making the quarters because Scotland decide to be useless pricks. They may provide some strong showings in their pool matches with wins over Romania and Portugal and be at the receiving end of a flogging by New Zealand but it will all come down to the game against Scotland.

It really doesn't matter if they make the quarters because they certainly will not go any further.

I suppose this is what you can expect from such a low quality pool with one standout team.

They may provide some strong showings in their pool matches with wins over Romania and Portugal and be at the receiving end of a flogging by New Zealand but it will all come down to the game against Scotland.

It really doesn't matter if they make the quarters because they certainly will not go any further.
[/b]

It matters to Italy!

I feel that Italy's place in the quarters will mean they put in a decent performance against the ABs. To me, they always look like a slightly less good version of Argentina.

<div class='quotemain'> They may provide some strong showings in their pool matches with wins over Romania and Portugal and be at the receiving end of a flogging by New Zealand but it will all come down to the game against Scotland.

[/b]

It matters to Italy!

I feel that Italy's place in the quarters will mean they put in a decent performance against the ABs. To me, they always look like a slightly less good version of Argentina. [/b][/quote]

Exactly that, a slightly less good version of the argies! - I really think that Italy can put one over on the Scots - They just need to get something in their locker in the backs division - they really didn't look up to much there in the Irish game - Of course they made up for that by eating our pack like a digestive biscuit!!

I reckon Italy will beat Scotland and make the QF. I hope they do, would be good for the game and Scotland are downright **** and dont deserve to make the QF.

99 wc NZ 101-3
03 wc NZ 70-7
07 wc sometihng a bit closer with Italys improvement

NZ to still smash Italy but a better fight will be put up.

Italy have nothing to lose.

Italy may pass but i am sure they won t be worldchampion

If they play seriousy and concentrated, they ll pass.

To me, they always look like a slightly less good version of Argentina.[/b]

No surprise, sometimes half of their team players are indeed argentinean ...

I think Italy will make it to quarter finals.

Latest posts